Flea Control in yard

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Orange Infused, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Orange Infused

Orange Infused 25+ Posts

We have a new dog this year, and while the fleas aren't yet a problem, I don't want them to become one. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to control the flea population, and keep it from becoming a problem? What about those beneficial nematode thingies?? Do they work on fleas, too? And do you know where in San Antonio I can find them?

Thanks!!!

2. Yes, the 'todes do a great job on fleas too. I have noticed a much lower amount the last two summers and other seasons. Fire ants, grub worms are also affected by the beneficial nematodes. I got mine at The Natural Gardener. But surely there is a nursery in your neck of the woods that has them. Contact the natural or local ones first, then the bigger chains. Expect to pay maybe 20 bucks for a two treatment dosage which should last two years. Just water your yard once a week.

3. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

Loopy,
    I have been considering getting puting out some nematodes but always wondered if you had to use organic fertilizer with them, or if it matters. What kind of fertilizer do you use?

4. Orange Infused

Orange Infused 25+ Posts

How do you spread them around?...............how do they come packaged?.................I just have visions of millions of creepy crawly thingies clutching onto my fingers as I try to fling them across the yard..........[​IMG]

5. celis

celis 250+ Posts

They are packaged in a little can in stuff that looks like peat moss. You but the stuff in some water then put the water in a hose end sprayer. Spray it on the lawn.

I don't know if you have to use organic fertlizer but you should not use insecticides.

6. AlwaysTexas

AlwaysTexas 25+ Posts

I'm planning to get nematodes for the yard at my new house as well, thanks to the advice on this board. I also need to put some weedkiller down, though. Will that interfere?