Florida State ??

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by HANNAHORN, Feb 8, 2017.

1. HANNAHORN

HANNAHORN 100+ Posts

Why are we playing FSU here at the end of the Big 12 schedule? Wouldn't a couple of extra days' rest been helpful? I am going to very upset if someone gets injured in this game, God forbid.

2. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

It's not uncommon for teams to schedule at least one OOC opponent during league play. And there is a full week between our KS and OU matchups, so I'm happy to see we're taking advantage of the opening and playing another top ranked foe. I'd be upset if there's an injury in any game, but not sure what that has to with the price of tea in China.

• Like Like x 5
  3. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

One could argue that coach had the foresight to know her team would be peaking at the right time, and that if we were to understandably struggle with our early OOC schedule (which we did) then a late opportunity to beat another top 5-10 opponent on the road could really move the seeding needle.

Not sure if you realize it or not, but if we win out (including the B12 tournament) we're just as much in the mix for a #1 seed as anyone else. So this late game could help a heck of a lot more than it could hurt.

• Like Like x 5
  4. overseasbbfan1

Yeah, I was saying the same thing to someone a few days ago. The seeding game will continue to change up until the draw is released. There are teams that will move into #1 seed territory if they win out, including the Horns, just as others will move lower if they lose. I'd say we would almost certainly be a 1 seed if we win all remaining games. That streak would include wins over both FSU and BU (likely twice). And I'd say odds are also good we finish the season with the top SOS in the country. But it's kind of pointless to speculate because there are so many big games left for all of those in the mix for the potential top seeds. One game at a time!

• Like Like x 4
  5. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Look forward to the Florida State game.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 1
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Personally I am nervous about OU in Norman and KS in Manhattan. Neither will be easy. For some reason I think we throttle FSU. Only time will tell.

I sincerely hope the win against BU made true believers out of this team. Brooke, Ariel, Joyner, Lashann, and Kelsey have proven they can get into double digits on any given night and someone always seems to step up when one has an off night.

• Like Like x 5
  7. overseasbbfan1

That's why the endless projections, and bracketology updates are a bit annoying. As noted above many teams have a lot of tough games remaining. The Horns have BU at home, both OU and KSU away, and we will probably face two of the three again in the Big 12 tourney. Then there's FSU on the road. Out of 9 remaining games prior to NCAA play (inc the league tourney), at least 5 and likely 6 are what I would call 'tests'. No question we're playing great basketball, and I like our chances against anyone, but as Coach A said after the Baylor game, we still haven't won anything. I really like her message about being in the moment. I definitely think the staff has the team focused, and I doubt anyone is looking ahead, or thinking about anything other than the next game.

• Like Like x 5
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Tough stretch of games coming up... I like it!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Why is it worse to be injured in this game now than any other game? Why does the order of games on the schedule change how bad injuries are?

10. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I think because it's a tough game that we technically didn't have to play so it would be disappointing if someone goes out in it as opposed to a game we had to play regardless.

That said, I'm glad KA booked such a tough schedule. It will make us that much more ready for post-season.

I smell a trip to Dallas in our future and I think a yellow seal might be in order.

11. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Man I hate to disagree with loyal fans but this is our schedule, it was our schedule from the beginning of the year. If our season had played out differently we could have needed this game to re-establish a stronger position in the tournament. I am excited to play another top 5-10 opponent.

• Like Like x 4
  12. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I think the 'noles are going down... KA has this team on a serious mission!:hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I only wish they had moved the KU game to Friday - playing Saturday and traveling to Florida for a Monday game makes me nervous. The starters need to play a much cleaner game early, get a lead and let the bench work most of the second half.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I can not express how much respect I have for Coach. She always seem to be in control. When we are on the floor Brooke is just an extention of Coach KA. Sug is getting there...

• Like Like x 3
  15. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I think that's what I said so I am not sure what the disagreement is. I like the tough schedule. Just trying to clarify why someone suggested an injury during that game would be bitter. No biggie. Bring on UConn as far as I am concerned.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  16. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

The problem is Fla St. is really good, they barely lost to UConn, they last played on Wed. and they have no games until Monday night against us, when we have to play them on their home court. I know I'm in the minority on this, and I'm glad Aston scheduled tough teams, etc, etc, so please don't berate me, but maybe she scheduled one too many. Anyway, if we beat Fla St on their home court, our NCAA credibility sky rockets. It'll be interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  17. overseasbbfan1

The schedule is what it is. Sometimes you get a nice rest, and others times it's a quick turnaround. And it isn't always the same for both teams, that's the nature of the game. Just like top seeds sometimes get sent on the road....nothing is perfect, but it's always a good thing to test yourself against the best, and no question FSU qualifies this season. They've only dropped two games, including the loss to UCONN by just a basket...easily the closest contest for the Huskies this season. I think it's a perfect game for us. It's a break from the Big 12 grind, and we're getting on the floor against another top team. If we win, it'll be further indication of just how far we've come, and developed as the season has progressed. And a close contest will reflect the same. It we lose badly, or aren't competitive, then that tells us a great deal also, and will give the coaches - and players - plenty to work on between now and the start of NCAA play. The win against the Bears was fantastic. Two victories vs. top 5 opponents in the span of a week....even better. Other top teams have done that, now it's our turn to see if we can continue the momentum, and build on that very special win on Monday.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  18. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I'm trying to be positive about the FSU game, but really agree with Dr. D, maybe this is one too many. Oh well....it will be fun to see what happens. I've never seen FSU play before.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have no idea why the game was scheduled so late but I like the game vs a quality opponent we don't play twice a year. It's a good measuring stick of how much we have improved since the start of the year. And the format of playing one day, one day of rest and play the next day set up for the next four weekends is very similar to the format we will face in the NCAAs if I am not mistaken.

We are familiar somewhat with FSU's PG, Leticia Romero, who transferred from KSU after the coaching staff was let go. She was a fabulous player then and, like Brooke, has only gotten better. That will be an exciting matchup to watch. And that is pretty much all I know about FSU other than I think Leticia did not play vs UConn. interesting thought.

20. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

FSU is pretty scary at the beginning of the year, they barely lost to UConn I believe they lost to UConn in overtime at home.

21. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I gotta believe FSU isn't any better than BU so my money is on the Horns. Bring it!

Win or lose it's a growing/learning opportunity before we meet BU again and before post-season.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

FSU has only played UConn once this season. They are not in the same conference so don't play them twice. Heck, FSU doesn't even play Norte Dame twice and they are in the same conference as the Irish.

FSU won 12 in a row after the UConn loss then lost at home to N. Carolina State 70-61 on Jan. 02. Since then, they have gone on a 10 game winning streak and will be looking for win # 11 in a row Monday night.

• Like Like x 1
  23. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

Texas will beat FSU it will be another close game but I believe in the team this team is determined to win it all.

• Like Like x 2
  24. overseasbbfan1

The current coach has been there 20 years, and has done a great job building the program. They've made the NCAA field 11 of the past 12 years, and during those 11 appearances, have never lost in the first round. During that stretch they made four Sweet 16's, and two Elite 8's. A few may recall I picked them as my dark horse FF contender in 14-15, and they almost made it, falling just one game shy of making their first national semi-final. They had lost their star, Natasha Howard, to graduation in 13-14 - she'd averaged something like 20 points and 10 rbs per game - but almost everyone else, including the other four starters, were all coming back. And they added Adut Bulgak, Leticia Romero and Shakayla Thomas. Horn fans should be familiar with all three....we made a big push to land JC transfer Bulgak, and made her final cut, and as Babhorn noted Romero was all Big 12 in her frosh season at KSU. And Thomas appeared in the same McD's game as Ariel and Brooke. ND's Brianna Turner was MVP, but Thomas was the high point scorer, and looked strong and college ready. She was easily the most dominant performer in the game. And all of these players returned for the Seminoles last season. Having lost just one starter, coming off an Elite 8 the year before, they were a clear FF pick in 15-16, IMO. But things just didn't click in the same way they had the year before, and they lost a few contests they shouldn't have, and had to face Baylor in the Sweet 16. I fully expected FSU to win that contest as they had one of the strongest rosters in the country, but the Bears won handily. In any case, everything is clicking this season; Bulgak is gone, but they've added Baylor transfer Wright. FSU is a very talented, and experienced squad, but I think we match up well with them. I'm looking forward to a great game!

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Lots of different opinions on playing this game against FSU. I recall Coach A stating the reason she agreed to the game was because it would be an evening televised matchup on ESPN2 against at Top 10 opponent. So, more national exposure for the program.

My only issue was that I felt this game should have been a home game based on balance. We played at Stanford, MSU, and UConn. Home games against South Carolina and Tennessee. Home against FSU would have made more sense; but, I have no idea about FSU's non-conference home/away balance.

As for the timing of the game, think about it this way. Based on how we were playing early in the season, a game at FSU would most likely have been a loss. But, now, we are playing so much better. A chance at a win is higher if we play well like we did in Waco.

• Like Like x 6
  26. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I love the exposure a game like this gives the program. I saw a Beth Mowins tweet (retweeted by Texas WBB) noting the UConn vs South Carolina and Texas vs Florida St games with the question "could we have Top 4 seeds for the NCAA's?" Win or lose I think it's good scheduling strategy, but I also think it helps in preparing for the post-season this time of year.

• Like Like x 4
  27. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

if we win, everyone will think it's brilliant scheduling and another big confidence boost for the season's homestretch.

As Karen said, we haven't won anything yet. Need to finish strong to win the B12 — this game has no bearing on that — other than the experience of facing another quality opponent in a hostile environment, something we still face with OU and K St.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Okay, FSU is a high scoring team, ninth in Division with an average of 82.3 ppg. Neither team is that dependent on the 3pt shot, with FSU making 5.5 of 14.7 attempts per game. That’s 22.7% of their shot attempts. Texas makes 4.0 3s pts per game on 11.4 attempts. That’s 17.5% of their shot attempts coming from BTA. Whereas Brooke (55-126; 43.7%) is the Horns’ primary 3pt threat with Ariel ( 20-54; 37.0%) as the secondary threat, FSU depends on Imani Wright (53-121; 43.8%) as their primary 3pt shooter with Leticia Romero (40-72; 55.6%) and Brittany Brown (19-56; 33.9%) providing support.

Shakayla Thomas, a 5-11 Jr. F, is the Seminoles’ leading scorer at 14.8 ppg. She has yet to take a 3pter this season. She is the second tallest starter for FSU and could end up matching up Joyner. Romero (12.7 ppg), Wright (11.2 ppg) and Ivey Slaughter (10.1 ppg) make up the quartet of FSU players averaging in double digits. Brown (9.2 ppg) and Chatrice White (9.2 ppg) are the other main scorers for FSU. Romero is a 5-8 Sr. G. Wright is a 5-9 Jr. G and Slaughter is a 6-1 Sr. F. These three along with Thomas and the 5-8 Sr. G Brown make up FSU’s starting lineup. Horns will remember both Romero, who played her freshman year at Kansas State and Wright, who was a starter at Baylor her sophomore year. Horn fans may recall that we were wondering if White would land here at Austin when she decided to leave Illinois after her sophomore year.

Kelsey and Audrey will have to contend with Slaughter and White. Foul trouble could dictate how long the Joyner-Thomas matchup lasts. It could be bad news for one of the teams. Or we fans could be treated to an outstanding matchup all game long. Horns will have the definite height advantage. FSU does have Kai James, a 6-5 Sr. post they can put on the court although she does not seem to fit their running game, playing only 19 games with an average of under 8 mpg. Brown has the most steals (64) and assists (127). I am guessing that she is the PG although I would think that would be Romero. The backcourt matchups are going to be fun to watch. Both teams are deep, going at least 10 deep. FSU does have ten players that average in double digit minutes. Horns match that and have Khaléann that would give them 11 players with double digit minutes if she were cleared to play.

This should be a fun game to watch. Both teams are going to run. Both average 65 shots a game. Shots inside the arc are the strength of both teams. I have to wonder how Thomas plays: around the rim or able to hit the midrange shot as well? Does she handle the ball well? She is averaging less than one assist a game so she doesn’t set up her teammates that much. But she is their primary shooter, having taken over 50 shots more than the next closest teammate. Horns obviously have a variety of players that they can throw at her. The problem for FSU, as for most of the Horns’ opponent, is whether they can slow down Joyner if she does not get in foul trouble.

29. ajoetxwbb

ajoetxwbb 25+ Posts

Watch Party!

Mon. Feb. 13 @ 6 PM

Buffalo Wild Wings
    13000 N. IH 35
    Austin, TX

• Like Like x 1
  30. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Nice story about Brooke.
    Kinda amazing how the main writers are discovering the women's team as they keep on winning. I don't remember neither Bohls nor Golden spending time on the women's team before. Wonder what they did with Rick Cantu? Wonder if he got to go to Florida to cover the FSU game? http://www.hookem.com/columns/golden-texas-guard-mccarty-small-big-game/
    And this is what I like about this team: respect your foes but don't fear them.

• Like Like x 3