Football 101: OL

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by OrangeElvis151, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Tubesox

Tubesox First Time Poster

2. CoQ10

CoQ10 < 25 Posts

Thanks everybody for the OL education / detailed descriptions. coachkiss, BigOrangeWoody, longhornscott, MDHorn, etc. - Much appreciation here for you guys taking the time to teach some of the rest of us like me who appreciate the OL - and know that without great athletes and great execution - teams don't usually win.

I remember attending a Lamar - Cy Creek (? - one of the 'Creeks') game and seeing Dan Neil for the first time. After watching him steam roll our guys (we had a DE from that team who went to OU and the NFL I think) for a few plays - I actually began to wonder why they'd run any plays where he wasn't the lead blocker - cause it seemed they could always make 2 - 4 yards no matter how we stacked the line. After a quarter he was at the top of my recruiting wish list for the year - and it was the first game of the season. I don't recall them having any stand out running backs (maybe they did) on that team - but Neil made the difference. And when he came to Texas - Dan was super.

Do any of you know what were Dan Neil's best blocking techniques, skills, style. Besides being a gifted athlete (a high school coach said he'd seen Dan dunk a bb and was very agile playing pick up bb) - I know he was strong as hell, built with an optimum center of gravity, and had great desire.

I also had opportunity to watch William Winston play, noticing him especially in his sr year at Madison. His footwork always impressed me. He so thoroughly dominated an aggie de recruit from Aldine - that the kid was obviously frustrated and (to me) almost seemed to just accept that he was never going to get by Winston - which he never did all night. I also saw WW switch to defensive tackle several times, expecially late in close games - and was impressed with his stamina and talent on defense. I think I saw him twice (I know once for sure cause it won the game for Madison) go after loose balls on the ground and out quick other smaller players to the ball. How close do ya'll think William Winston might be to being able to start - this year - if needed (injury or personnel change) - any other thoughts you might have on our developing O Linemen would be appreciated. Thanks again.

3. Canadian Horn

Canadian Horn First Time Poster

Question about false starts:

How come OT/OG mustr be perfectrly still once set, however the Center can move, point etc once set. What differentiates between calling audibles by the center and false start?[​IMG]