Football before facemasks............

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LousianaHorn, Nov 28, 2018.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

was not for the timid............... photo of the 1952 backfield.............looks like a bunch of hockey players!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

just 2 years later here is YA Title (pride of Marshall Texas) sporting a plexiglass I assume facemask.........any of you oldtimers what was that "handle" on the left side of YA's helmet for?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Looks like that "handle" is actually the support for the plexiglas. Don't see any on the right, and the chinstrap seems to be snapped on to the "handle" on the left.

Maybe the whole design of this Rube Goldberg contraption is to break away if a tackler grabs the plexiglas, snapping from the "handle."

Or maybe it's a spoof. Or is that ruse?

Coming back to this and looking a bit closer, I think it's like this:

That IS a door handle, twisted on the bottom to align with the plexiglas. The bottom of the handle is probably then screwed into the plexiglas with the 2 bottom handle flat screws.

The right side of the chinstrap also, like the left, snap onto the plexiglas.

So, you've got a piece of plexiglas just mounted on one side suspended, hanging in front of the player's face. Real close. Dangerously close --- I think this would result in more face damage if a defender pushed straight on with his hand than if there was no plexiglas at all. Are you sure this is real or just some fakery?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

That is the first time I have ever seen that photo of YAT. Handle is odd and blonthang speculation is prolly right. Handle didn't last long - think it could injure another player or give the D something to try and grab.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Then there is Bobby Layne, who refused a facemask into the 60s, and never wore hip pads.

• Like Like x 1