Football Parking

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Hornmatic, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Hornmatic

Hornmatic 100+ Posts

I just have some random thoughts and questions on parking for football games. What do you think is fair market value for the foundation lots and garages? I am pretty surprised at what’s being asked for season parking over on the Swap Meet Board and want to know if I’m the one out of touch. I was recently offered $150.00 for my Lime Green Parking passes (I declined because I packaged the parking passes when I unfortunately had to sell my season tickets).

At first I thought 150 was kind of high but that works out to a little over 21 bucks a game, not too bad I guess. But I’ve also seen some request for $250 and $300 which seems really high to me, but maybe I’m just cheap. And then I see a set of parking passes in the LBJ lot for $1400, which if my math is right is 3.5 times the cost of the actual game tickets.

Does that seem outrageous? Note: I’m not knocking anyone for asking these prices, if you can get it, more power to you.

Before I had foundation parking I would always park for free usually around Congress and 17th or on Comal by the Disch. I would also get down there mega early to tailgate and stuff, so i realize that may not be an option for everyone.

So what’s the going rate on the street? Where do you park and how much would you pay to get into the LBJ lots or other close spots?

2. bassale47

bassale47 1,000+ Posts

I'd pay a couple hundred bucks for LBJ and closer. No way in hell I'd pay $1400. I don't have foundation parking. In the past I have usually taken the shuttle, but sometimes I get to campus early and can find free or cheap parking within reasonable walking distance. That can actually be preferable to parking closer because campus is so congested after the game that it takes forever to get out.

3. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

I have personally sold the purple checkered for $50-75 and never paid more than $100 for the Lime green. I have seen the LBJ lots go for $200-250 and the Pink passes are around $300-350 (sometimes as high as $450). I am not familiar with all the other areas but those are the average prices I have seen. Thanks to the foundation I have been making all the parking trades/swaps over the last couple of years to keep our tailgate group together. Obviously the $1400 price is some idiot trying to finance their foundation fees. Unfortunately, it does seem as though the greed is growing as far as the prices this year.

For me, it's about trying to keep your tailgate that you have been attending for years together and not trying to finance your tickets through selling your parking passes. Food, fun, and good friends together celebrating Longhorn football it what my end objective is.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Surely a lack of buyers will teper the greed in the parking market. There may be no shuttles this year and if so, a big mess at the beginning. We shall see.

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

6. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

People PAY for parking? WTF, that is the biggest scam in the world, walk your lazy asses!!!!!! Part of the game day experience is walking with people you don't know finishing your last beer walking up to that majestic building!!!!!!!

7. Great Hills Horn

Great Hills Horn 100+ Posts

Majorwhiteapples: You obviously don't host a tailgate. [​IMG]

8. majorwhiteapples

Actually, I do..............

You know what they say about people who make assumptions......

9. Great Hills Horn

Hmm..how do you host a tailgate without a parking pass?

10. majorwhiteapples

Yes, it is called a park with Grass and everything.....I guess you would call it a Pre-Game Party rather a tailgate. Bathrooms are real close too........We even put up tents and bring grills and kegs, wow, and we don't pay for parking and it is less than a mile from the stadium, wow!!!!!!

I forgot the generators, satellite and big screen TV, sorry........and about 200 of my closet friends........

11. PunkRockinHorn

PunkRockinHorn 100+ Posts

1400 for LBJ is absurd. I got an LBJ pass for 400 last year and sold 2 purple checkered for 100 each.

12. bassale47

bassale47 1,000+ Posts

13. majorwhiteapples

boy oh boy you got me [​IMG]

14. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

15. Great Hills Horn

16. germanhorn

germanhorn < 25 Posts

Having a paid parking pass makes it easy for us to tailgate in the exact same spot every game. In the pink lot, we're close to the stadium, have easy access to I-35 and even have a convenient port-a-can nearby. One of our regular tailgate guests has a bad knee, and can't walk the mile or so from his space or from the free street spaces so we're shopping for a pass for him. Glad to see you guys think the prices will go down a bit.

17. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest