For Real ....Herman “IS” Done!!!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HoffHorn, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I agree. By itself, losing to OU twice in a year wouldn't be a career-ender. But coupled with his overall record against them being 1-5 at that point, plus the loss to a horrible TCU team, plus the way everything was coming together for us this year - we returned most of our key guys and had a senior quarterback, OU lost many of theirs, and the whole conference was down; possibly it would.

Last year he got a lot of leeway for 8-5 because we played eventual champion LSU well (better than OU, Clemson, Florida, or Georgia did) and had all the injuries. This year, he's going to get a lot less, even though I don't see a lot of examples of teams going up after firing a coach who went 9-3.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

They've just played 3 of the 4 teams at the bottom of the conference standings; I'm not ready to crown them based on that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Not that satisfied with Herman but, If Herman beats Kansas, Iowa State, K-State, Big 12 championship game and big bowl game, then Texas is Top 5-7...so he isn’t done yet.
    I can tell you that right now I’d pick Texas over each of these first 3 games if my life depended on it.
    Then I think this time they could easily rise up to beat any Big 12 team for all the marbles.
    I wouldn’t bet against Herman in the bowl game.
    .Lots of football left and if we expect Longhorn players to not give up, then Longhorn fans shouldn’t either.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some of Burton (now at IT) on Herman

Monday’s recruiting diatribe by embattled Texas coach Tom Herman is just more of the same. It’s a tired act. It’s everybody’s fault other than his own. We are to believe that it is the anonymous sources and writers who are at fault for Herman’s recruiting shortcomings and his inability to secure commitments from many of the state’s top offensive linemen, including two legacy prospects.

So let’s suspend reality for a moment. It had nothing to do with Herman’s lack of personal engagement or acumen in the recruitment. It had nothing to do with Herman not offering James Brockermeyer a scholarship at the same time as his brother Tommy, instead first talking to him about walking on. The loss of those prospects had nothing to do with Herman’s hiring and retention of OL coach Herb Hand, who is channeling his inner Mac McWhorter as one of the worst combinations of recruiters-evaluators to ever mentor at Texas.

It had nothing to do with a team’s listless on-field performance for much of the past two seasons. We should believe it’s anybody’s fault other than Tom Herman. Bemoaning the difficulty of a job, any job, is nothing more than an excuse, and nothing more than inner-recognition that you're not the right person for it. Excuses seem to abound for Herman. There's Covid. There's staff turnover, which is particularly inexplicable since Herman is the one who fired his initial hires. There's "winning is hard". So "anonymous sources" are now his latest excuse.

While many may read this and immediately think that I am anti-Tom Herman or that I want Texas to perform poorly and replace him, that is not necessarily true nor is it my point at all. Instead, what I want is what I believe every Texas fan wants. I want a football team that performs to a standard every week, that is routinely winning conference championships and is competitive on a national level annually.

If those expectations are too high for Herman - or any coach - then that's too bad. Excuses won't mask reality. I suggest Herman focus on winning rather than excuse-making because excuse-making isn't going to save his job.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Very well said Mister Burton. Very well!
    Thank you for posting Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Was he intentionally combining Orangebloods with Hornfans?
    Should this board consider that name?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

That may be the best article I’ve read from Bobby Burton in over 20 years. While I agree totally with the content, it is probably the only Burton article I've read in 35 years

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Moskman1215

Moskman1215 25+ Posts

Is Texas the only team that didn't have Spring practice or Summer workouts because TH keeps using it as a excuse.

• Like Like x 2
  10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Other big name programs don't have internet fan message boards either, apparently.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

but Texas is probably the only team having to dress in temporary quarters! That has to be the lamest excuse ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. horninchicago

Everything is just so hard.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Not to mention that the temporary quarters are likely still better than the usual locker rooms at some of the smaller schools.

14. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Really, really hard!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

They are the most _o_e s____l j_s__e team in the nation though...That is the reason they sucked early on.

16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

IMO there is a sizable challenge/dilemma facing CDC:

I’m going on the assumption that CDC wants to jettison Herman for all the obvious reasons. So here’s the dilemma:

Again, if one assumes that the decision is fait accompli as I do, should he terminate Herman now or wait until after the season, assuming that the season continues?

If he makes the decision now it’s his decision to make. He’ll be criticized for the timing, but he will not relinquish control of the process.

If he waits, it could get complicated. If Texas runs the table and either beats OU or loses close, there will be those — not me! — who would argue that progress had been made. If Texas beats OU in the “Run the table scenario,” CDC’s hands will be tied.

Some here will argue that if Herman runs the table he should be rewarded. I’m not one of those people.

So from a risk/reward analysis, CDC risks plenty — including control of the narrative and the process — if he waits.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  17. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. horninchicago

19. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

or tell you, you’ve lost all credibility for using his statements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

CDC is responsible for approx $750M in current capital projects at TX.

Doubtful that he will forget the contract buyout dates in contract he amended to incur an unneccesary penalty just for the sake of acting now.

Dec is 11 days away and there is a lot of football to watch over the next 16 days.

21. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

22. RainH2burntO

I wonder if and to what degree, if so, CDC regrets that extension and amended contract

23. RainH2burntO

Yeah...I posted it originally...but I'm not a big Klatt fan or any talking head fan. I posted it because Klatt is typically a guy always talking up Texas (however shallow) and because I agree with the general observation and sentiment posed and do not think it so shallow...though I personally believe the trend had begun prior to TH's arrival.

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I was in The SuperDome and enjoyed every moment of it (well, except for the postgame confrontation with a NOLA dome guard, whom I invited to call the police and arrest me, for sitting on a counter of a closed concession stand).

I don't think any of us realized the insecure, whiny, crybaby that Mensa was and would become. Was anyone coming for Herman at that point? Maybe, maybe not. NONE OF US realized the financial disaster that Tom Herman would become, not to mention the media embarrassment. (Never thought I'd say that I miss coach speak.)

Again, lose $150+ this year, keep Herman and lose an additional $200 next year and probable a goodly portion of that the following year. Compared to the potential to lose $500 million while overseeing the $750 million in expansion projects, the cost of sending Herman packing is negligible particularly with the prospect of turning those losses into grossing $250 in each of the next two years.

Long explanation to say that I don't think Chris should regret anything about that contract. I'm more concerned about survival the next two to three years.

25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yea, those dreaded "some posters" that feel they can express differing opinions and the like.
    How dare they? ;)

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The South Carolina 247 mod posted that a source told him Herman might look at them as an option instead of waiting to be fired here. They liked him back on 2015
    The other school name that has come up as a landing place for Tom is Vandy

I think we would have ~$15mill buyout for the firing (w/ offsets) (I think its prorated and supposed to be $15.4M if on Dec 1 - but this is from some website and might not be 100% accurate)
    Hugh Freeze is now getting over $3M/yr at Liberty in his new contract.
    So maybe we could get the Tom buyout down to $10M
    Why would he agree? Let's say he was willing to go to SC but had to make a move now. And let's assume he could get something like $4M per from them. A $10 buyout + 3 years at $4M = $22M. Which is better than $15M and is also more than Hugh Freeze will get at his new contract value over the same period of time.

If Tom were to stay, the pay scale is supposed to be
    $6M 2020
    $6.25M 2021
    $6.5M 2022
    $6.75M 2023

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  27. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I heard it from a source that Houston Nutt would be interested in the Texas job if Herman goes to SC. So would Muschamp.

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ima Nutt in Travis county?

not even as an assistant at Murchison Middle School.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TFB says

In a previous post I noted that I was told that should Herman win out and even lose in the Big 12 championship game, he’d likely be retained. However, a loss to Iowa State (or any other regular season opponent) would likely result in a change.

I’ve received some additional confirmation on this. This particular person worded it even more forcefully saying that one more regular season loss will likely spell the end.

Needless to say, that Iowa State game is going to loom incredibly large.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1