For Real ....Herman “IS” Done!!!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HoffHorn, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

How could anyone possibly have direct evidence that this didn't happen? Think of what that would actually entail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, since anyone who was in Columbus in 2005 can attest, they are a reasonable bunch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Hot Hot x 1
  4. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Texas Football Brainiacs seem to think UM is not happening.

Who else is on the wish list? Not Briles, not Saban. Real candidates.

• Hot Hot x 1
  5. horninchicago

If they manage to screw this up, we will end up with another unproven nobody. Mediocrity will continue for 10-15 years.

IMO, UM is the only guy who is available and can take this group and win the games TH manages to lose.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

Texas under Tom Herman has ‘played down’ to, or below the level of their competition more than any team in college football. Or does it just seem that way? How many games have been decided by less than one score under his leadership or lack of. That shouldn’t be happening over and over and over. Time to cut bait.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

you are correct per ESPN ... this tweet was after loss to unranked TCU this year

8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Article from Dallas Morning News:

Tom Herman is leaving Texas officials no choice but to pursue Urban Meyer

Excerpts:

"What exactly is Longhorn football supposed to be? I know what fans think the answer is, but I’m wondering why that doesn’t match the school’s track record. Given that the university’s 1963 and 1969 pre-integration championships are not terribly relevant today, let’s just look at the last half-century. That’s history enough, isn’t it? And in that 50-year period, Texas has won as many national championships as Colorado and Tennessee."

"And Herman came up way short Monday in his Zoom news conference when he said the standard at UT should be as follows: “Be in the conversation, competing for conference championships in November and December. We were there two years ago, and this year we came up three points short. Somehow I think not being eliminated from the Big 12 title game until late November is marginalizing the goal for a $6 million coach.’'

"But the protracted length of this school’s slump since its last national title game appearance is still the inexplicable part of the Texas story to me. Even losing to Alabama, a six-year run that included two Rose Bowl wins (one over USC for the No. 1 ranking), a Fiesta Bowl victory and 69 wins overall should have provided the springboard to extended greatness for this team. Instead, for over a decade, the Longhorns have not managed anything better than Herman’s 10-4 “we’re baaack’' season of 2018. Rather pitiful."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

I’d say Texas and Michigan are similar in this regard. Two of the all-time big boys that can’t seem to get it done. Both need new head coaches.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Now that's just bad. The standard should not "be in the conversation", the standard should be playing for them, maybe even wining a couple!

He sounds like Al Bundy talking about what happened years ago. And they failed to tie the game, not win it. No guarantees about OT.

Loser coach, grasping at participation straws. Time for the boot.

11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Being in the conversation means a school being mentioned in the same sentence as Texas, not Texas being mentioned in the same sentence as TCU, Iowa State or Baylor.

We have to beware of coaches who lower the University standards to the level that makes their job easier. Smacks of "There's a tackling problem all over America."

• Like Like x 3
  12. Reason's Voice

Reason's Voice < 25 Posts

This is clearly correct. I did some quick research (and may have made a tabulation error, but I think this is right):

Herman is 30-18 since taking the job in 2017. Of those 48 games, 27 have been decided by 1 score or less. Our record in those games 14-13. And, some of those 1 score wins are nothing to brag about-- Kansas (2x), Tulsa!

We usually show up against a good team (last year- LSU), and mail it in against lesser teams. That's on the coach.

I was thrilled when we got rid of Charlie Strong, a good guy, but the worst game day coach I have ever seen. Now, we have neither a good game day coach, or a good guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Exactly the way it struck me too.

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

While at UT or another school?

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Was a UT booster's plane

16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well, tomorrow is "after 01 December" so the question-of-the-day every day that goes by after today will be "what is the hold-up?").

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  17. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Oh yeah... we've been in some conversations all right, for some time now...and none of them flattering.

18. RainH2burntO

Looking more and more like after the season ends...unless we get a surprise late today. If no deal is done or almost done with Urban ..this could drag out...
    Better chill for awhile if no news tonight or in the morning.

• poop poop x 1
  19. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

#beentheredonethat

20. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

baggage???

21. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

#OURarrogantprick

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

1. Meyer - Fox Sports, available now.
    2. Campbell - ISU
    3. Elliott - Clemson
    4. Venables - Clemson

Top 4. I can't think of anyone else I think would be a fit at this time. No Stoops, no Lashlee, no Kiffin. If Campbell wins the B12! Talk about a hot prospect!

23. horninchicago

It is far beyond just Xs and Os though, as we all know. Yes, solid coaching and good hiring are key. But, again, can Campbell accept the other aspects of the Texas job and succeed? ISU has very low expectations. Much different to be a good coach and have some success at a place like that. Yes, he competes in the Big XII, but in a much different environment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Campbell would suck here.

25. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Urban Meyer or go with some known mean, hard ***.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  26. RainH2burntO

You said it, HIC.

• Like Like x 1
  27. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

I've caught flack for this before but I think Greg Schiano would.have a great chance at success at Texas. There's no real evidence he was involved in the cover-up at Penn State. He can coach, recruit, and motivate at a high level.

28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Here's my take as a bystander. If the BMD's are the one's pushing for greatness and bragging rights, then they are the self-image of the university; not us. And if what they want costs big bucks then they should pay pay pay or STFU.

• Like Like x 1
  29. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

And other lame excuses: Winning is hard! :rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They have been somewhat lukewarm from at least October

Anyway, reading that we like Eric Bieniemy as the next choice if UM is a no go
    He is Andy Reid's OC and checks certain other boxes attractive to the academic side, which is apparently driving the new hire search