For Real ....Herman “IS” Done!!!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HoffHorn, Oct 3, 2020.

1. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. horninchicago

torbush.gif

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Burton's take on staff
    He doesnt mention Lupoi
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5. horninchicago

Strong and Herman couldn't attract any top assistants. All of this is very encouraging right off the bat.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I bet Kyle Flood would make a nice addition.

As others have mentioned, Drayton would make a good candidate for retention. His recruiting prowess is well known, and rumors are that Bijan really wants him to stay.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

If you take the time to dig into Alabama recuriting, you'll see that when we went head-to-head with them for players from this state, their lead recruiter was Jeff Banks (see above). In case you are not already aware of this, Alabama came in here this recruiting class and took the top in-state players at about 6 positions.

Also, if you dig through Bama's recruiting out west, Banks and Sark were the top recruiters.

Lastly, just looking at their OL recruits nationally, Alabama's recruiters are Banks and Kyle Flood.

Based on this alone, I would prioritize these two guys

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Of course the recruiter is important but NC’s bring in the 5*’s.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Kyle Flood worked with Sark at both Bama and with the Falcons
    He also worked with Schiano at Rutgers

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sark talked about that in his zoom call. He said staffing is like a puzzle. You can't have a team of all good coaches who are not good recruiters. You can't have all great recruiters without the skills to coach them up.

Also, the latest scoop is that we might actually have a shot at Corey Raymond (see above). He is one of the best recruiters in the country

• poop poop x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Football Scoop says he is also pushing for Holmon Wiggins -- if so, would be a real coup IMO

He is in his second season at Alabama on head coach Nick Saban’s staff as the Crimson Tide’s wide receivers coach. Wiggins came to Tuscaloosa after three years (2015-18) coaching wide receivers at Virginia Tech under head coach Justin Fuente. He also worked for Fuente at Memphis for four seasons (2012-15).

Would be nice to finally start stealing some stuff back from Alabama after all these years of them stealing our best HS players

" ... we’ve heard from sources that Sark is working to bring a key piece of the Alabama staff with him to Texas.

Holmon Wiggins, who is in his second year as Alabama’s wide receivers coach after a few seasons working under Justin Fuente at Virginia Tech and Memphis, is being targeted by Sarkisian to join his Longhorns offensive staff.

Wiggins has helped develop one of the most lethal receiving corps in college football history, led by Heisman finalist DeVonta Smith. Even after losing one of their top targets in Jaylen Waddle to a season-ending injury earlier this year, under Sark’s direction the Alabama offense has been one of the most explosive in college football history, and Wiggins’ wide receivers are a major part of that. They are also a key reason why quarterback Mac Jones is also a Heisman finalist, while completing over 75% of his passes heading into the national title game.

Smith, who is undoubtedly the focal point of every opposing defense, is still the nation’s leading wide receiver, and is the only guy in the country with over 100 receptions (105), and he also leads the country in receiving touchdowns with 20. The Tide also have John Metchie III who also ranks in the top 50 in receptions (47 total)...."
    Sources: Sarkisian working to have a key Alabama assistant join him at Texas

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

If we do end up with Muschamp back, that might be the end for Giles. Boom said he was the laziest coach he had ever seen. But maybe things have changed from back then.

13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I think we finally have an adult in charge.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is Wiggins mic'd up, if interested

• Like Like x 2
  15. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Chop, that is cool!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

QBs/OC - Milwee (was an analyst at Bama, now w/ Butch Jones at Ark St)
    RBs - probably Drayton
    OL - Kyle Flood is choice #1. Hamilton mentioned Brad Davis (Ark OL)
    WR - Holmon Wiggins (hopefully) or maybe Keary Colbert (USC) or Tee Martin (Pruitt is on the hot seat now at Tenn)
    TEs/ST - Jeff Banks is choice #1 (but i dont know how likely)
    DC - Muschamp or Ash
    DL - Bo Davis. I guess Giles has a resume too
    LBs - Hutzler, Tosh Lupoi (bagman but I dont care anymore) or even Mike Stoops (eek)
    DBs - Corey Raymond is choice #1 (but i dont know how likely) or the safeties coach at Oregon

• Like Like x 2
  17. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Personally I hope he keeps Ash. Players seem to want him and I think his run defense has been exceptional. So with help in the secondary I think he’s a good keep.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Let's hope so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Just read on another site that Blake Gideon (yes UT’s own) is in the mix for Special Team’s coach.

• Like Like x 1
  21. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Doubt it. It would be a slap in Saban’s face which I cannot see. However, if the Brocks reach out to Sark, that’s another story.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Just dreaming... would it have to be a transfer? Would they retain full eligibility?

23. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Perhaps like many of us, I know as much about staff selection as I do about brain surgery. What I do tend to believe however — and something that would appear to separate him from Mack, Strong & Mensa — is a sense that Sark’s ego will not handicap him and that, indeed, he will try to hire the best and the brightest.

Also, think where Sark has been and the magnitude of this opportunity. This massive second chance. My sense is that he’ll make the most of it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

They could request that Bama release them from their LOI.

25. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Compare these answers to those of the previous coach.

• Hot Hot x 1
  26. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Mike Stoops? Bwahahaha!

• Like Like x 1
  27. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I wasn’t super excited about the Sark hire but I’m liking it more and more, I don’t know how solid the rumors are to his assistants but I like the thought of keeping Ash and or muschamp as defensive coordinator although I wonder how long muschamp would stay. I feel like Ash may stay longer (I think he’s done well enough and I would like some consistency).

I think Sark has learned a lot from his personal journey based off what I’ve read about him and I feel from those readings that being in a great place and having a great program are rare so I think if he’s able, he will be here as long as he’s successful and never leave. Time will tell. I think he can get Ewers back on board and that would be huge.

CDC’s hiring of Sark tells me a lot about CDC, even though I know neither that well, it seems he has an innate ability to pick the coach that best fits a particular school and its needs. Will be interesting to follow this. I for one would like to see Texas finally in the mix of the national championship on a regular basis.

• Like Like x 3
  28. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

It depends on if he learned anything. Arrogant people keep repeating the same behavior because it's not fault, it's just the morons at their previous failure. He may not even see the past 4 years as failure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  29. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Head Coach in waiting, part deaux?

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If so, he should show up in a wedding dress on his first day back on campus.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1