Forced to use leave to evacuate?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by 4th_and_18, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 4th_and_18

4th_and_18 100+ Posts

is this legal? if there's a mandatory evacuation, can your boss tell you to stay? not sure what the policy is there, but a family member of mine is facing this decision. obviously the decision is easy, but she shouldn't have to use vacation time to evacuate, should she? maybe i'm just spoiled because i work for UT and they accomodate for every situation, but still...

2. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

I think using leave or not getting paid for the days off is fair.

3. homer

homer 500+ Posts

are you kidding? most companies will try to keep good will. but many can't. its a business, they can't pay you if they are not bringing in any money that day.

this is a non-issue.

4. bevo_daddy

bevo_daddy 500+ Posts

I dont think there is any kind of LAW that states employers cant make you stay, but depending on what type of business it is if there's a mandatory evacuation they should have to close to let people leave. Where does she work?

When I lived in SE TX whenever there was an evacuation it wasnt even an issue if i had to work or not, we were all GONE!

5. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

Texas is a right to work state, they can fire you for picking your nose, if they choose to.

6. El Paso Way

El Paso Way 100+ Posts

As a small business owner myself, I would hate to be put in this situation. Being a small business means I can't afford many benefits for my employees. I try to make it up by giving them days off when they need it or letting them off early or filling their gas tank once in a while, etc. I would'nt be able to pay 3 or 4 people a weeks pay, however, I would do my best and pay them what I could because it isn't their fault. A very tuff situation to be in to say the least.

7. spidey69

spidey69 100+ Posts

Oil, Chemical, hospitals, emergency service type industries all could have a legitimate need to hold people in order to make preparations to their facility. I happen to be in one of those industries. I suppose you have to expect it to some extent.

8. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"I think using leave, not getting paid for the days off, or dying in a hurricane are fair options"

9. mary21

mary21 100+ Posts

I read on MSN that no one should be charged any kind of leave and would be paid. Might look it up.

10. uhlaw2k1

uhlaw2k1 < 25 Posts