Foreman Lights Up Pro Day

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Christian McCaffery ran a 4.48 40 at the NFL Combine. Dalvin Cook ran a 4.49, and Leonard Fournette ran a 4.51. They were considered the three first-round running backs in this year's NFL Draft coming out of the combine.

So, where does that put D'Onta Foreman, the 234-pound back who topped them all on Tuesday with a pair of 4.45 40s at Texas Pro Day, according to former Cowboys player personnel director Gil Brandt, who was standing near the finish line.

Perspective on D'Onta Foreman's 4.45 40 at 237 lbs today: Using combine data since 2003, no RB weighing 232+ has ever run that fast.
    Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt) March 28, 2017​

"I think I shocked some people today," Foreman said after the workout, which also included a 33-inch vertical jump and catching passes from David Ash (Foreman caught every one).

One NFL personnel guy I trust said Foreman's performance in the 40 on Tuesday "could cause one team that loves him to move up to the end of the first round to get him if they're worried another team might grab him in the second round, where most projected him based on his film."

Johnathan Gray, after surgeries to repair ruptures in each Achilles, ran a 4.56 and 4.58 40 weighing 208 pounds. Gray, who trained with Jeremy Hills, knocked out 22 reps of 225 on the bench, a 10.1 broad jump and a 36-inch vertical.

"Everything that's happened has helped open my eyes about life after football," said a very mature and content sounding J Gray. "I had to grow up, face adversity and figure out what I was going to do after football.

"But I've tried to never let anything stop me. I just hope a team gives me a chance to show them what I can do, because I believe I can do a lot."

Tyrone Swoopes, who weighed in at 247 pounds and knocked out 19 reps of 225 on the bench, a 35-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 9.7

Caleb Bluiett, who weighed in 252 pounds and knocked out 23 reps of 225 on the bench, a 33-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 9.11.

Quincy Vasser, who weighed in at 244 pounds and knocked out 17 reps of 225 on the bench, a 31-inch vertical and a broad jump of 9.3.

All caught the ball pretty well and will be defying the odds if they make an NFL roster. The goal is just to get into an NFL workout and then an invite to training camp.
    [More @ HD]

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Wow! That is very fast for a big guy. I knew he was pretty fast, but not THAT fast. I'll miss him next year, but I'm certainly happy for him! :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  3. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

That is impressive indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 3
  5. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

Was David Ash competing as well?

6. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

Ash is trying out as a punter.

7. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I think I remember reading that he threw some passes to Don'ta, and he caught each one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i read an article on Ash's pro day. Said he threw great, punted just ok, but the scouts will probably not touch him as a qb because of his injuries.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The NFL Jeremy Hills or the former Longhorn RB Jeremy Hills?

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Unreal.
    I didnt know
    Did any of you guys?

11. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Oh my word. Praying for that next one.

12. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

D'onta and his son, and his girlfriend and his entire family are in my prayers. And no Joe, I did not know this story before right now.

13. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I read this watched the video earlier. I was, still am at a loss, stunned. How he was able to finish the season so strong takes an exceptional person. And to keep playing at that level after the loss of his first born, man. Words can't describe. God bless him and his family. I had no idea about his loss.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Surprised in the media circus era in which we live that he was able to keep that private, but I'm glad he was.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Longbomb

Longbomb 500+ Posts

Is Foreman the first Longhorn ever on the Houston Texans?

He is almost certainly the first Longhorn drafted by the Texans, but I can't think of any Longhorn to ever be on the roster either.

I live in Houston, and I generally laugh at their misfortune as a franchise. They are so inept, and to me it's clear they don't care to have Texas alums as fans. It just makes it too easy to root against them.

I'm so sour on the Houston Texans right now (as a Texas alum), that whatever they do, I will put a negative spin on it. They probably picked Foreman in spite of him being a Longhorn. He was too good to fall that far in the draft, so even though they didn't want a Longhorn, they went ahead with it. I think Watson is a good pick too, but it still hints of another VY slight, as Watson is basically an inferior version of VY.

I'd love to root for the home team, but their decisions for the entire history of the franchise make that impossible for me right now.

Maybe the Foreman pick is a sign of positive change in the organization.

• Like Like x 1
  18. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I think Studdard was on the Texans or some other lineman.

19. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Yes Studdard was on the team for a time. He saw the field some as a backup.

20. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I also live near Houston. I couldn't cheer for them with Kubiaggy as head coach. That jackass definitely was biased against us. Since his departure, I have become a Texan's fan, despite the ineptness of the front office. Hopefully after the Osweiler fiasco, they have adopted the George Costanza philosophy to do the opposite of what they think they should do. They must have used it in the recent draft with Foreman's pick.

21. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

They did draft Studdard and I think a defensive lineman in the 6th or 7th round a year or two later (Frank Okam I think), but no one with the upside of Foreman. Unfortunately, Foreman will have a very average o-line blocking for him, about the same as last year.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1