Former Longhorn Wife sues NCAA Re: CTE

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

2. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I had a brother who played at Arkansas during the same time frame. His behavior began to change in the mid 1990's. He took his life in 2001. Even though he lived and died in Williamson County, his autopsy was done in Travis County. At the time CTE was very seldom recognized or even looked at. However the autopsy revealed advanced injuries to the brain, judged to be 30+ years old.

And I agree with Badass for having mixed feelings on these types of lawsuits, but $$$$ always gets people's attention. Frankly as a parent, knowing what I know now, I would not let my boy play football.

3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Very sad story about GP.

We have a family friend that dated Ploetz some at UT back in the day. She mostly spoke of their social life and campus things, not football.

Heard years ago what a warrior he was on the field. Anyway started following the story of his mental challenges / CTE 4 or 5 years ago when a Dallas Morning News story appeared about his mental deterioration. My sons did not choose to play football when they were of an age to do so. At the time I would have allowed it, today I would be very conflicted.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  4. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

I've let my boys play starting in the 4th grade. The oldest two played through high school but not college. My younger boys are playing but now the leagues are making the coaches take training classes for a program called Heads Up football which teaches exactly what it implies. https://usafootball.com/programs/heads-up-football/

5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

A Heads Up program / approach is not only the correct & safe thing to teach but it may be one of the actions that helps cut down on head and neck injuries, thus helping to preserve the game.

• Like Like x 1