Formula 1 2013

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by mandingo, May 29, 2013.

1. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Thought there was a thread for this already, but I didn't see it, so here we go.

2. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

A letter from KPRC station manager Jerry Martin to Formula One fans. Be sure to respond in the comments!
    The Link

3. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

OBTW: now they're only going to use the new tires in Friday Practice in Canada:
    The Link

4. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Hmmm...@MBrundleF1: These new F1 2014 V6 hybrid power packs are great, and the Micherelli remoulds are awesome. But don't tell anyone about it.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Did you see where the USGP was voted the top sporting event in the U.S. for this year? I can link it if you want me to but I am lazy right now. I am pretty sure you knew this but it's still pretty cool and gets the name and event out there a bit more. It may silence some people to and draw others.

I think there may be some Hamilton drama to come. Kimi is my boy! It's amazing the Iceman can race at the top of two totally different types of driving, F1 and WRC. Two totally different skill sets.

6. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure what the criteria were, but yeah. I guess they needed to win something to take the sting out of not winning the FOCA Promoter of the Year award. 2012 was only the second time in 3 decades that it didn't go to a new GP when there was one on the schedule.

Turkey was the other. Before that you have to go back to 1984. Korea even won in 2010 with that fiasco of a GP.

7. skipperj

skipperj 100+ Posts

Kimi is done. Mercedes and Red Bull are going to fight it out the rest of the season.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

9. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Dismissing Lotus, Kimi, Ferrari, & Alonso already? Lots of racing left, & Mercedes still hasn't proven it can work with the current tires on a more typical course...& we still don't know if there will be a new tire or what the relative performance will be between teams if there is one.

Driver's standings:

01 Sebastian Vettel 107
    02 Kimi Räikkönen 86
    03 Fernando Alonso 78
    04 Lewis Hamilton 62
    05 Mark Webber 57
    06 Nico Rosberg 47

Constructor's standings:

01 Red Bull Racing-Renault 164
    02 Ferrari 123
    03 Lotus-Renault 112
    04 Mercedes 109
    05 Force India-Mercedes 44
    06 McLaren-Mercedes 37

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Does Seb have an Angry Birds version in his honor? I didn't think so. Go Kimi! The Iceman cometh, I hope.

I find the continued progress of Force India fun and good for the sport. I would love to see more Parrot Tea within teams and Constructor's battle. Win for fans.

11. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Man, this tire scandal is getting more bizarre & twisted every day.

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

You mean, tyres, right?

13. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

What I find interesting and somewhat juvenile, yet speaks to the intense competition including the track, the pits and the HQ's, is some teams not going with others on this. Red Bull and Ferrari have lodged protests and try to get other teams to do the same, thereby bolstering their inquiry and forcing more action.

But those teams have been so douchey to others that even though other teams are curious and want inquiry, they are not going along with RB and F, out of spite and bad blood. What, these are children we are talking about?

FIA or Mercedes needs to show a paper trail or some form of correspondence. I think if it existed Mercedes would have already provided it. Or have they and I missed it?

I think the bad blood in this carries on awhile.

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

This is my favorite article on it thus far. I think it's a good description of goings on for people who this is new to. I like how it closes stating it's more about the dysfunctionality of F1 currently than anything else.

The ire of tire

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

This is what happens when a governing body tries to regulate down to basically every breath. Those with resources will try to push the rules to the extreme.

From what I can make out Mercedes knowingly broke the rules and while Ferrari thought they had followed the rules when they used a 2011 car not owned by the F1 division. Evidently the FIA doesn't count the current year so they should have used a 2010 car.

16. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

The guys on Autosport have been saying the rule is that you can't use the current year's car, the one from the year before, or one for the next season. So in this case, no 2012, 2013, or 2014 cars.

Also at issue in the Merc test is who ran it, who drove during it, whether all teams were invited for a similar test, what tires were tested, the secret nature of the test, etc.

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

18. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Exactly. Not good.

19. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Mercedes to go before FIA tribunal. No further action against Ferrari:
    The Link

20. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

As a fan of the Stallion you are happy about this, I presume.

21. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I was never worried about Ferrari. Their test was legal. I don't wish ill on Mercedes, but if their test was illegal, they should be penalized whether they gained an advantage or not. If it was legal, then cool.

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

One plays by the rules (no matter what you think of them), and you have nothing to worry about (even if it is an Euro managing the process).

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Don't forget the British GP (30 June) and German GP (07 July) are live on CNBC with replay later in the day on NBCSN.

24. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Wow...so Mercedes wins 2 in a row after a 1000 km test of their current car with current drivers and gets a slap on the wrist. Amazing.

A 2 psi tire pressure change mid-race? That's insane, when you consider they usually make adjustments in fractions of a psi and can still feel major differences in handling.

Amazing drives yesterday by WEB, ALO, MAS, & HAM.

BTW, anyone else see this?

25. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Vettel's cut tire:

[​IMG]

26. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I don't get how there was not more of a penalty unless there was no foul. I think there was, however. Then again I am not an official nor do I know what they know.

27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mercedes' tire test was against the rules as was Rosberg's racing through yellow flags during the race. However, F1 and BE are doing everything possible to keep Mercedes in F1. Thus no real penalty for either violation.

28. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

This smells: Link

Sounds like Pirelli knew they had issues with the original 2013 tires; tried to get the teams to agree to a change; conducted an illegal in-season test with Mercedes (who they knew would not be damaged by any FIA investigation (see my entry above); and when the teams that were not having issues said no, Perilli "forgot" to communicate certain issues hoping for a sufficient ground swell to force change.

Something is rotten.

29. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Not just in Denmark either. Do they have the balls to drop the hammer if need be? Will the fans not be guppies and actually show strong disdain somehow? Or in the end do we really care?

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts