Formula 1 coming to Austin, Baby!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by badexcuse, May 25, 2010.

1. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Can't wait to hook up with mandingo and the other fanatics.

F1 in Austin

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Get the f**k out of here. You are kidding right? You are a master hacker and manipulated the website and article, right?

I feel like Elain Benes from Seinfeld...GET OUT!

This is, um, wow!

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Austin, the global city. f**k off rivals, step.

Mr. Hellmund added: “This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”

4. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Holy. *******. ****.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Somehow I was expecting more from Mandingo yet that was enough.

Um, first round is on me, mofo's. Oh to bend Mandingo's ear as well as others and share this with him/them. I am the lucky one.

6. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

Where is the race going to be?

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Larry, I was wondering that too. There is a lot of desirable land to build what they want so who knows for sure. I am assuming it will be in the West somewhere? I guess we can have a prop on this!

Is it normal to be this excited about something like this? Am I alone in that I am crawling out of my skin right now? I feel like I am 10 and about to get on the roller coaster because I am now tall enough to ride alone.

8. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

I would suggest building it in SE austin. Its close to the airport, a shorter drive for people coming from Houston, close to the new toll road for people coming from N and S (in addition to 35), there should be tons of bus routes heading from DT into that area for airport support already. That part of town could also use an economic boost each year too.

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

There is only one city bus that serves the airport and it does not run too often. That is the Airport Flyer, 100 bus, I think. But you are right about the rest of it. The land is cheaper there too. You are also accessible to San Antone and people coming in from Mexico if they drive. Dallas can use that toll road too, I guess.

Reserve rooms in Bastrop and rent 'em out!

10. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

11. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I was blown away when I first read it this morning as well.

SE Austin makes more sense, though somewhere out West wouldl likely be more scenic, since they specifically mention the beauty of the city as a selling point. Either way though, it's going to be awesome.

People who don't know F1, won't really understand how huge this is, until it happens. It will blow their minds.

12. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

This is a response I just received to my post about this in the F1 thread over at footballguys...

13. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Right, that's about what I expected. It just makes sense, there is a lot of infrastructure already in the area, and more being built every day.

And you know The Landing Strip is just loving this news... [​IMG]

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I bet there will be a private airport indeed. As mentioned above, people not up to speed on F1 have no clue how massive this is. This may be the biggest event to hit Austin ever. Close to it? There will be so much money pouring in here it will be ridiculous. There will be more international movers and shakers than anything I can think of.

Luckily with events such as UT Football and SXSW as well as ACL Fest, and noted in the article, we have the hotel spaces available. Restaurants, food carts, hotels and the works all here in Austin. Now if they will only build a bike trail as an option to get there from Austin! I am only partly kidding. I would totally make use of it to get there.

15. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I would be shocked if more than one or two girls that usually work the Landing Strip actually work during this event. They will be importing girls in here like hotcakes. There will be big names if there is such a thing in that business. Also descending on Austin will be the highest caliber call girls such as the one in Paris that may get 3 world caliber soccer players put i prison. I am not saying that is a good thing just that Austin is going to experience an influx like never before.

16. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I'm thinking night race...to beat the heat.

17. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Yup, Austin is going to experience a lot of major good things, and some major bad ones too. Overall though, it will have a very positive impact on the city.

We should be able to handle it, though I can't recall any one single event that has ever brought this many people to Austin, and especially from such international points of origin. But overall, the infrastructure for support is already good, and will be improved even moreso between now and 2012 when the first race is held.

18. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

19. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

The businesses and bean counters will be very pleased at the money that comes in. If they think that ACL and SXSW people spend money they have another thing coming. Many of those people huddle up in to hotel rooms, make sandwiches from meat they get at HEB and cut corners where they can. A lot of this F1 crowd will have money to burn and want U.S. or Texas souvenirs.

The Longhorn logo gets more face time. BOMC in full effect. If they want to see our slums I guess we can sponsor guided tours of College Station so they can see the "Have Not's".

20. Steven1809

Steven1809 100+ Posts

This is just about the coolest thing ever.

I hope we get some more details soon.

21. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Potential 2012 F1 lineup...imagine this:

Sakhir, Bahrain
    Melbourne, Australia
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Shanghai, China
    Barcelona, Spain
    Monaco
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    AUSTIN, TEXAS, USA
    Valencia, Spain
    London, England (Silverstone)
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Budapest, Hungary
    Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
    Monza, Italy
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Suzuka, Japan
    Yeongam, South Korea
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Yas Island Marina, Abu Dhabi, UAE

Allsome.

I was about to mow my yard when I saw this news, what, 3 hours ago? Needless to say I haven't done anything constructive since.

:wood:

22. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

24. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Oh my, I just had a thought. Will they maybe have some form of academy or way for people to go and drive a car or take laps in something, safely? Will there be ride along drivers or rides? Okay, I need to stop or Mandingo will implode.

25. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

l00p, you have no idea.

26. Steven1809

Steven1809 100+ Posts

l00p,

There is already a local track where you can take courses and do track days.
    The Link

27. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

In an F1?

28. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Wow, Steven, wow. Like baseball you have been verry verry good to me.

29. Steven1809

Steven1809 100+ Posts

haha in your own car.

30. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Wha, wha, WHAT?

What kind of a car do you drive? Can I borrow it for a couple of hours?