Formula 1 coming to Austin, Baby!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by badexcuse, May 25, 2010.

1. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Hopefully the antics are over and done, but frankly, given how the investors have messed this about so far, I'd be more surprised if they are over than if they aren't.

2. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

10 new construction photos posted just a few minutes ago by my buddy at Facebook/ "Friends of Formula 1 Austin Texas":

The Link

Here's one...3 stories on the west end of the pit building:

[​IMG]

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Race 10 months from today!

4. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

They're saying now that they're on track for August completion:
    The Link

Of course, in that article Geoff Moore also says this:

"The race is on. Construction is happening six days a week. The paddock buildings are being topped off
    , work on the main grandstand has started and we are looking at mid-August for completion."

Err...construction is going on 7 days a week, and at night, and there are columns for only about half of the 2nd floor, much less the 3rd floor.

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He does qualify he is talking about the track, not the buildings.

However the disturbing issue is they still want money from the State. They need to move on from that - that money is not worth the headaches that come with it.

6. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Formula1.com has posted the USGP race weekend schedule:
    The Link

1PM is pretty much what I figured. It'll be nice that time of year. Yesterday we had a beautiful 80 degree cloudless day that's more typical of November than January.

BTW, here's a photo I shot yesterday afternoon of a very busy Turn 10. You can also see the Turn 9 flag, and work on the Paddock/Pit Building off in the distance.

[​IMG]

7. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Circuitoftheamericas.com is back up and running, and with it so is Ticket Reservation info. $100 per seat to reserve your place in line to buy "Select Seating" which seems to be limited to the Main Grandstand and suites, but it's really not clear after reading the FAQs posted.

I guess I'll reserve comment for now, but I have questions about other things I found unclear:

- Come March 1, if I've paid my deposit, can I purchase a seat for 1 year without getting a PSL, or is March 1 for PSL sales only?
    - Also, does my $100 deposit apply to the ticket price?
    - Before I buy a PSL, I need to know how long the USGP is secured to be held at COTA. Without that information, PSLs are a no-go for me and my family. Is that available?
    - If I'm not interested in seating or suites on the main straight, but I do want tickets in other grandstand areas toward the back of the track, does the deposit apply to these?

I'll submit these and let you all know what I hear.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

At least someone at FOM has begun to rationalize race times in North America. The Dallas GP started at 10 Central as did the Canadian GP for several years. However, the Canadian race started at 11 Central in 2010 and 12 Central in 2011 and will start at 1 Central in 2012 as will the USGP. I guess they are finally decided Europeans like prime time racing from the colonies.

Also noted that this year the British GP has been moved back an hour so they will be seen at the same times as the other European races.

9. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Here's an ESPN article with more info:
    The Link

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Will there be any discount seats on sale at HEB? What about if I bring in a can of Dr. Pepper?

(yes, I am way kidding)

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I am thinking I am going to hit up the qualifying days live and watch the race itself on tv so I can see the whole thing. Though just once I would love to be there for the actual rev and thunder of a start.

I am analyzing the WRC schedule and planning on two trips to see races in whatever countries fit schedule on this end best. Included in planning is scouting out good spots on the routes of the legs to spectate. I am not going to be a thrill seeker and plop down on a turn. I am also not going to dangle over the side of the road when they go by.

12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

13. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

The only permanent grandstand called for in the plans is the Main Grandstand. The rest are to be temporary and used on an as-needed basis. Some of those could be converted to permanent stands down the road.

14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

A PSL for a temporary seat (that might not even be erected for all races) is going to be a tough sell.

15. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I won't be buying any PSLs. I can't afford them, but from what I can tell there's no need anyway. We'll still be able to buy tickets for any part of the track.

16. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

COTA secures outside help to sell tickets & PSLs:
    The Link

17. RoughedUpSuspect

RoughedUpSuspect 100+ Posts

18. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

FINE, I will! [​IMG]

Yeah, I really need to go. I may even have a way to work it but that window is closing and I am acting too late for it.

19. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

20. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Statesman: Rain Slows Work on Circuit of the Americas:
    The Link

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

A honest review of the state of the construction: Link
    Everything can still be done, but if we get into a two or three week rain cycle there are going to be big issues that even 24/7 ops cannot overcome.

22. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

John Flood: Circuit of The Americas construction months behind schedule...

ETA: I see now that Viper already posted this.Thanks Viper! I agree and have been trying to tell people for a while that COTA used up its time cushion with 3+ weeks of delays and more weeks of slowdowns during perfect construction weather. Now they're praying for perfect weather next summer. Nice.

The Link

John also commented on the article on our Facebook page "Friends of Formula 1 Austin Texas":

23. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Pit building interior photo just posted on Circuit of The Americas' FB page...

[​IMG]

24. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Rick Perry visits COTA:
    The Link

COTA sues adjacent property owner over water line:
    The Link

25. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Here are 30 photos I shot this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.380720291942522.105794.157330087614878&type=1

A few of the better ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Work on the East end of the Pit/Paddock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From SH 130:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Turn 11:

[​IMG]

Turn 10, from above Turn 11:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turn 11, in a group of 19 photos Vance shot later today:

[​IMG]

Rolling plastic down from Turn 10:

[​IMG]

26. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

In other news, Circuit of The Americas says they'll re-apply for METF funding:

The Link

Be sure to read the long interview with Geoff Moore of COTA.

27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

28. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

29. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Oh yeah...this is very interesting IMHO:

Tavo Hellmund spotted at Jerez test session...with potential USGP sponsor?
    The Link

30. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

BTW, if any of you were planning to reserve a spot in line for a PSL, today is the last day to do so.