Foster

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chinstrap, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Sure sounds like he he didn't play but one series in the first half because Brown was ahead of him on the depth chart, and then stormed out on the team once he didn't start the second half either.

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Seriously? Did he leave the field? I wonder what’s going on there.

4. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

As posted on the Texas vs. UTEP thread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Yeah, just saw this too

6. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Bahahaha. Did he storm off the field with Stompy Feet too, like a 4 year old girl who only gets one scoop of ice cream?

Gotta say, after reading this in the HookEm article, no big loss: "Foster is the same player who got into “a fight with a car bumper” this summer and fractured his hand".

I fought the bumper, and the bumper won. Breaking a fifth metacarpal bone in the, hot sun, I fought the bumper and the bumper won".

With the way the Transfer Portal is going, soon, a player will be able to quit one team in the first half, enter the Portal, then come out in the second half playing for the other.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

If the report about Foster is correct, that's too bad. The team could use him if he wants to be a team player. If he doesn't want to support the team, next man up.

• Agree Agree x 7
  8. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Foster is a very talented player. Losing him will have an impact, regardless of his demeanor or maturity.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Duck Dodgers

Can't be that talented, or he would have played. Can't be that useful as a team member, or he would have waited and played a role later. In the B12, good secondary players are going to play at some point - lots of packages where there are a whole lot of backfield players on the field.

Can't take him back at this point. Actions have to have consequences - these are grown *** men, not little girls who get their feelings hurt at recess and need a Kleenex and a nap to feel better.

Question - if you quit a team while on an athletic scholarship, what happens? Have to leave the dorm that semester? Loss of banquet hall privileges? Next semester do you have to pay for it all yourself? I assume he'd drop out of school and enter the Portal, unless Herman takes him back, which would be foolish.

10. weller1

weller1 25+ Posts

Twitter saying he’s working out with the team right now. Hopefully he gets his head right.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Sorry to see this happen. I’ve always liked his bone-crushing hard hitting, although his coverage skills are pretty so-so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

No, this is more about working with a young man that showing a big ego.
    Thank goodness in my life people gave me a second chance ...changed my life my friend, so did he make a mistake ?of course he did but you want to ruin a man’s life over something like this ..... no way

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Well...................bye.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I liked Foster and never thought he should have played last year when obviously hurt. I had thought this would be his year. Hope he turns the attitude around for his good and the teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Duck Dodgers

No one's ruining his life. He decided to quit the team, in the middle of a game. I don't think I've heard of anything like that happening before. Things like that used to not be tolerated.

It was his decision, not anyone else. Now apparently, faced with the cold facts of being off the team and out of coddled embrace of the UT Athletic department (no banquet hall pass, old tests, or tutors to do your work for you), he's changed his mind and wants to come back?

What message does that send to the rest of the team - yeah you can quit during the game, but we'll keep your name on the locker, just come on by next week if you want to? Does Herman think he'll get more or less of this foolishness if he allows Stompy Feet back on the team?

A great quote, probably not true, about Switzer was him telling a recruit "Son, if you come to OU, we'll play for a national championship. If you don't come, we'll still play for a national championship". Then he probably paid him a grand to sign, but that's another story.

Point is, a good football team should not be dependent on any one player and child like behavior. Cut them loose, set an example of leadership that no one person is more important than the team effort, and continue with the season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

I am sure Herman has a good talk with him after the game. We will have to see what the results of that talk are.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I guess my point is is that no one here knows the specifics and there’s a lot of assumptions going on and what happened. And before you go off on “oh I know what happen he quit the team “ OK Captain obvious I know that. how many times were you up at 5 o’clock in the morning hitting the gym and working your butt off? Did you play hurt last year for the team ...there’s more to the story than just having somebody having a temporary meltdown and yes I do think it’s ruining a young man’s life when you kick him off the team and he loses a scholarship that he’s worked really hard for ..again that’s just my opinion

I agree with other decisions whereby athletes have made much bigger mistakes (Josh Moore) and we’re allowed to stay on the team. We all do stoopid things, as long as it’s not a pattern- use this to learn by.

As a boss with multiple directs, the most important advice I could give a young manager is to allow your team to make a mistake. Let them learn from it and yes there’s consequences but that’s about building a person not about showing someone how big your *#ck is

Where we disagree is I think a weak person is the one that knee jerks and makeS an example out of somebody, someone who’s been loyal and a performer you don’t do that to or you lose credibility to the rest of the team

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  18. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

That Switzer quote is essentially true
    He didn't say exactly that but that was the gist of it.

19. Duck Dodgers

But ...

if you quit the team then you're the one who's kicked yourself off the team. All he had to do was sit on the bench and do nothing, he's the one who Stompy Feeted off the field.

If you quit, then you have not been fired. You've fired yourself.

Look, I know you've said you've worked with troubled youths, and so are inclined to help them out, and that's to be commended. But actions have to have consequences. What happens if he quits again? Do you keep taking him back over and over again? What message does that send to the players who haven't quit, and have been working hard, to as yet little result for themselves?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

NR, well said. With all the turmoil this year, an emotional flare up is not a surprise. The guy was a worrier last year — when he was desperately needed — and that alone should have earned him enough political capital to be given a second chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

No I mean to your point and you’re absolutely right is that I was given a second chance and it made a big impact on me so a lot of my opinions are coming from that. I also have experience with a young man who was given a second chance who would completely blow you away.
    Google Mack White ... He’s done a lot more than walk off a football team man.
    I understand what you’re saying so don’t get me wrong but if this is a one time incident and BJ is remorseful, I’d let it go.
    From the Cell Block to the Runway: Former Teen Inmate Gets New Life With Mentor

• Like Like x 1
  22. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

basically this is how I feel too. I agree with the ‘you don’t quit’ side but I do believe running the bleachers can do a lot of good too, if there are some extreme circumstances to be considered, and there usually are. We just don’t know the whole story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I feel he has to certainly apologize to the team because he let his teammates down. I think since he played while he was hurt last year that does help his cause. Plus he should be made to run up and down the stands extra times. If he won't apologize to his teammates then I say bye-bye

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

With the staff's consent, the team should choose whether or not to take him back. He let the team down and they should decide, if TH is willing to take him back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think COVID has made everyone a bit mad in the head.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Man, he can lay the wood on people.

Hope they work through this and he contributes. He definitely has talent.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Love the avatar, Cat.
    How’s that boy of yours doing?
    I swear when I saw the vids of him I thought he was a JR high prodigy.

• Like Like x 1
  28. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Also, I reread my post Duck . I said Captain Obvious- and that appeared to be directed at you, I assure you it was not. I was making a general ‘Captain Obvious’ statement. Thanks for not calling me out on that.

29. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

There's a culture problem with this team, never seen so many players quit, them come back. Herman needs to put an end to this BS, if you quit, if you enter the portal, you are gone... Simple. Can't win ships with cancer in the locker room...

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I am guilty of that. I have found myself overly sensitive to things that in the past would not have registered