Frankenfish? Interesting article

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Smurfette, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

The Link

"The fish, an Atlantic salmon, contains growth hormone from a Pacific species, the Chinook salmon, as well as genetic material from another species, the ocean pout, that causes the "transgenic" salmon to grow at twice the normal speed.

The claim made by its developer, AquaBounty Technologies, is that this altered fish is as safe to consume as farmed Atlantic salmon. This argument doesn't convince much, since farmed salmon aren't really that safe to eat. They have been found to have higher concentrations of polychlorinated biphenyls than wild salmon, which gets into their bodies from the concentrated fish meal used to create their feed. AquaBounty also plans to sell the eggs of its fish to fish farms. "

The article talks about how bad farm-raised fish are for you, as well as for the environment. Seeing as how wild-fish is so much more expensive that farm-fish, I always buy farm fish... but now it kinda freaks me out.

2. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Actually polychlorinated biphenyls can be quite tasty with soy sauce and brown sugar marinade, plus a pinch lemon and garlic salt.

3. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

4. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

5. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I think that fish played for Oklahoma in the seventies.

6. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

farmed raised fish taste like crap

7. GT WT

GT WT 1,000+ Posts

Weird facts about genetically engineered salmon - from NPR
    The Link