Franklin BBQ

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by South Austin, Jul 27, 2011.

1. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

So I'm a little late to the game in hitting Franklin BBQ, but I recently made the trip, and holy crap their meat is fantastic.

I got a two-meat plate with the best brisket I've ever had and fall-of-the-bone ribs. I'm a minimalist when it comes to sauce, but I enjoyed the espresso-based sauce. I typically try the sausage, but I passed this time when I heard that they just bring in their sausage from Elgin.

The sides I ordered -- slaw and potato salad -- were very average, and not as good as other places like Smitty's or Luling City Market.

Got there at 10:00 a.m. on a Saturday, and was about 65th in line. Sat down to eat at around 12:15. The wait was well worth it.

Anyone else think Franklin is worth the hype?

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

All the people that wait in line before he opens for sure. Add me to the list.

3. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

Posted, (by me) on another site:

Went to Franklin's yesterday morning, (Friday).

We got there at 9:30 for their 11am opening time, and we were 16th in line.

By 10am there was a line stretching fifty or so behind us.

By 10:30, there were easily a hundred and they had already put up the "SOLD OUT" sign.

A half hour before they opened.

Seriously.

I ordered a half pound of beef and a half pound of pulled pork to bring back to town with me.

I ordered a two-meat plate with beef, ribs, beans and potato salad to eat there.

The meat is really really good.

Really good.

The sides were fairly nondescript. Not bad at all, just not holding their own if you know what I mean.

The ribs were excellent.

The beef is close to, but not quite, what Ms. Tootsie is doing in Lexington.

Of course, she's doing it in the stix, once a week and even though they always have a line, if you get there early enough, you will eat.

She does NOT sell out before she opens.

Every day.

Franklin's are expanding their pits so hopefully the crush will subside. While it was really good barbecue, I will not wait an hour and a half in close to 100 ' heat for it again.

But I'm glad I did it once.

Really really really nice people too. I cannot stress that enough.

[​IMG]

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

5. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Went to Franklin's yesterday morning, (Friday).

We got there at 9:30 for their 11am opening time, and we were 16th in line.

By 10am there was a line stretching fifty or so behind us.

By 10:30, there were easily a hundred and they had already put up the "SOLD OUT" sign.

A half hour before they opened.

i always knew austin was a slacker town. clearly, this town has some time on its hands.

6. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

went by there at 10:15 on a Sunday morning and the line was ~ 100 deep.

No way I'm going to wait that long for BBQ when I can just drive to Lockhart during that time.

7. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

8. nwking

nwking 250+ Posts

I haven't been these but I've seen the line. Simply cannot imagine the food is that much better than a dozen other places within 5 to 10 miles. Don't even need to go to Lockhart. My favorite is Manns on 183 near Ohlen road. Best meats and killer potato salad.

9. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, you're about a month late with that link, BI. [​IMG]

11. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

I've never eaten there but I called them and they said if you order 2 days ahead you can walk in and pickup a whole 5 lb. brisket.

I'll probably do that someday but I'll be damn worried about getting shanked on the way out.