Freddie - Courage Beyond the Game

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HORN60, Dec 10, 2011.

1. HORN60

HORN60 100+ Posts

While at the Texas Sports Hall of Fame on Baylor day, I met Jim Dent, author of The Freddie Steinmark Story, Courage Beyond the Game, and bought the book. Bill Bradley shared the signing table with him.

This is just a short note to recommend the book, a complete and inspiring story about a remarkable young man we should all know and remember.

Hook em,

2. Hornia

Hornia 250+ Posts

I don't know if there is a more inspiring Longhorn story than that of Freddie Steinmark.

3. HornInLC

HornInLC 100+ Posts

I was a freshman at UT in '70 - Freddie's senior year. He served as a coach that year. I remember it well. What an inspiration he was. [​IMG]

4. UTDad

UTDad 100+ Posts

HORN60, I was at the book signing that morning, also. There were only 1 or 2 others there so I was able to chat with the two of them for about 15 minutes. I mentioned to Bradley that we had talked at a traffic light when he drove up beside me while I was on my bike when he was the DC at Baylor. I found out, as result that Dent rides as well. Dent seems like a great guy and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book.

5. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

6. topwater

topwater 100+ Posts

IIRC, "I Play to Win" was a book that came out shortly after Freddie died. i know i have the book somewhere. i remember crying a lot while reading it [​IMG]

7. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I have the book too topwater. It is great. I always wondered why they never made that movie about his life. I remember there was discussion about it but it never happened. Coach Royal once remarked that Freddie saved a td when he tackled the Arkansas receiver at the ten yard line even though it was called PI we intercepted the ball a few plays later. Ironically the player who intercepted the ball (Danny Lester) was to lose his life a few years later in a tragic accident.

8. UTDad

UTDad 100+ Posts

Jim Dent mentioned in a radio interview and at the book signing last Saturday that there are plans to make a movie about "Courage Beyond The Game".

9. HORN60

HORN60 100+ Posts

Bill,

Danny Lester was a classmate of mine in high school, but not an acquaintance. I saw Freddie play a number times in 68 and 69, and on the sidelines at the ND game.

Freddie's blatant holding against Dicus saved so much more than the game.

The book points out that the team carries a photo of Freddie to all away games, and, just like at Memorial Stadium, touch it before going onto the field.

Freddie and I were the same age. Everytime I take my seat at Memorial I think of him, and remember to never regret that I lived all this time and he had none.

10. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I know what you mean HORN60. I was a UT fan but unlike my late older brother I didn't get to go to UT due to financing and had to go to a local smaller college. It is humbling to know I am still around even though I am almost 7 months older than Freddie.
    Thank you UTDad and I look forward to seeing that movie.

11. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

FWIW, I think there were plans to make a movie of "I Play to Win", but Brian's Song killed that with a very similar story.