Freddie Steinmark RIP 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by yelladawgdem, Jun 7, 2021.

1. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

The world lost a great man and a great Longhorn 50 years ago today. The osteosarcoma that had taken his leg in December of 1969, finally took his life. Freddie Steinmark, dead at 22. Death came, and death won. As death always does. But death has seldom met a tougher foe. Despite the unimaginable pain that he must have been in, and against his Doctor's advice, he had stood, steadfast on the sidelines of the Cotton Bowl less than a month after his amputation as his teammates defeated Notre Dame to win the National Championship, 21-17. After the game in the cramped dressing room of the Cotton Bowl, an emotional DKR, with the words "a guy we love a lot" presented Freddie the game ball. He walked across the stage at the Annual Football Banquet at the old Municipal Auditorium in one of the more gut wrenching moments in the program's history, to receive a handful of awards and his Varsity Letter.

Between treatments and other hospitalizations, Freddie went back to the normal life of any college student. His Catholic faith was his rock. There was not a day that went by that he didn't speak with Father Bomar. Freddie wanted to be treated like anyone else. Not a tragic figure. Not Longhorn Royalty. Not someone who was unapproachable. He was, to the end, Freddie.

I happen to be in Denver for the summer. On one of the local TV station sport reports today, they did 4-5 minute tribute to Freddie. Interviewed several of his teammates from the back-to-back state championship teams he played on. Players who, over the decades, have been awarded the Freddie Steinmark Player of the Year Award. The street in front of Wheat Ridge High School that is now Freddie Steinmark Way and Steinmark Hall, the main entrance once you enter the school, where the plaques and memorial to him are. If any of you are ever in Wheat Ridge, I urge you to make your way to the high school to see the memorial. Personnel of the school are always glad to welcome visitors and show it to them.

All of which is to say, the world lost and a great man and a great Longhorn 50 years ago today.

:texasflag:

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Great job, Yella. Thank you for posting this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  3. orngblud

orngblud 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. Boo ou

Boo ou < 25 Posts

I was a freshman living in Prather Hall in the fall of 1968. I talked to Freddie a few Sunday mornings at the coin operated laundry across from Santa Rita rig on old 19th street. He always remembered my name and was nice to talk as much as I wanted. RIP

• Like Like x 3
  5. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

"He was my all-American."

• Like Like x 1