Fresh Start

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by ShinerTX, May 18, 2012.

1. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

It seems that we may be a program in need of a fresh start next season. Anyone agree?

2. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

3. Fan4life

Fan4life 25+ Posts

Just out of curiosity who are you going to bring in that can lose the number of players that have been lost this season and win more games?

4. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Great point, Fan4. Whoever you bring in would need to be someone that can go out and get the best players in Texas (for a start). Right? You have to have the talent so that the team can withstand some injuries, and other issues, right?

Who's the best college baseball recruiter in Texas right now?

5. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

I may be in the minority here but he has a point. This program has been slipping over the last few years.No disrespect to Augie but as Mack learned fresh blood makes a difference.

6. KEYSERSOZE

KEYSERSOZE 100+ Posts

Here Spike!

7. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

It's Tommy's primary job to do the recruiting and while we have some talent on this team we NEED:

Power hitting 1B (I have warmed to Silver at 1B because of his generally solid defense, but our system of defense and pitching still needs some power in the line-up and most teams get that from 1B because the position doesn’t necessarily require the same range, agility, and arm that the middle infielders need and somewhat values height. With all of our other strong defense/soft hitting players, WE NEED a power hitting 1B, especially when Weiss leaves.)

SS w/ major college glove and arm

CF who can hit with power and is at least Jordan Danks, if not Drew Stubbs, athletic. I like Cohl Walla, but who knows how well he will return after knee surgery and being off for most of two years. I assumed he will get a medical redshirt for this year. I know we have some decent young outfielders that might be this guy, but we didn't see enough of them this year to tell. Fxxx Josh Bell and Scott Boras.

DH who hits well enough to scare someone. Landon Steinhagen was supposed to be that guy, but hasn’t yet proven himself as he stepped-up from JUCO.

I am excited about how well many of our freshman pitchers have done as they were thrown into the fire without the luxury of being brought in gradually. I attribute most of their rebutment and development to Skip Johnson.

I know some of our problems are more a result of injuries than recruiting, but 1B and SS are recruiting failures and you ought to be able to recruit a superior player to start at SS at The University of Texas.

I don't know how these needs are being met with those players already signed for next year.

If Tommy cannot get these positions solidly filled, it may be the end for him. If so, I want a replacement who can be a better hitting coach as well as recruit.

8. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

9. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

I'm assuming that Augie is the highest paid baseball coach in the country. Are we getting the highest return on that investment? Look, I'm not bagging on Augie peronally here, I just think we have to make an honest assessment of where we are and the direction we are heading. It seems to me that we are strugging with recruiting, particularly in Houston. Our NC teams always featured Houston area kids. What do we need to change to bring the best talent to Texas?

10. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

40% of the time in the last ten years he's made the championship game.

20% in the last ten years, he's won the whole damn thing.

Would you like him to win it every year for you and score 1000 runs per game?

Before you go saying that I am being selective in my sample set, I would remind you that you are as well by only considering the last few seasons.

11. billygoat hill

billygoat hill 250+ Posts

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

12. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

No. No. No.

Just to be clear.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This year was a series of bad breaks before season even began, injuries during the season and young players who played like young players. Augie bugs the hell out of me with his small ball philosophy but he has forgotten more baseball than the sum total of knowledge of the posters on this board. You dont tear something down under these circumstances, you dont even consider it.

13. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

I believe in all things Auggie without reservation.

My post was an attempt to share my analysis of our down year and a look forward.

14. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

What petscii and FWHorn said. The sky is not falling yet.

15. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

20% in the last ten years, he's won the whole damn thing.

What have we done in the last five years?

16. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

17. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

In the last 5 years he's been to the championship game. Made it to Omaha a couple of times.

As for what "we" have done in the last 5 years? spouted a bunch of aggie-esque logic in a web-forum.

WHAT HAS HE DONE IN THE LAST 4 MINUTES TO MAKE ME HAPPY!?!!?!

Zombie Rod Dedeaux for the job?

18. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Aggiesque? If you say so, I guess. To me, aggiesque is pretending you're great when you're not.

19. OrangeOsoFu

OrangeOsoFu 100+ Posts

Went to my first game in '74 and my gut tells me that we need some new energy in the program to get us back on top. Augie needs to do what Mack did before last season. Decide if he wants to pour more energy in to the program and if so, make some staffing changes and perhaps some other program changes (recruiting methods etc). I say this knowing full well that this is baseball and we may just go to Omaha this year. Happy to be wrong.

20. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

Re: I am saying we need to take a good hard look at the direction of the program.

And just what tells you we aren't? When you're dealing with student athletes, scholarships awarded, etc., and do it with any personal integrity at all, you don't shift overnight just to keep a 'what are you doing for me NOW' fanbase happy.

21. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Grumpy much?

Look, I don't think it is DeLoss's job to keep the fanbase happy. Clearly he doesn't even try to do that. I do think it should be his job to have the top baseball program in the country, especially considering the budget he has at his disposal.

22. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

Here's the thing to remember folks, this is baseball and not football. There are only 3 coaches to consider as opposed to the 11-ty billion coaches football has. So who do you replace?

Augie - Why? We're a year removed from Omaha and had injuries galore as well as some boneheaded players. I think he's more than earned the time to right the ship.

Skip - Really? I would almost replace Augie before I would replace Skip. The work he's done is absolutely phenomenal and it was primarily his guys who were decimated by injuries and youthful idiocy.

Tommy - Really the only choice right now if you're going to get rid of anyone. I absolutely adore Tommy personally as he is a genuinely nice man. Tommy also does all the recruiting trips because Augie does not like to do them. He is also the "buddy" coach as the players go to him when they need to talk or get something off their chest. All that said, maybe there's someone out there who can do the recruiting and be a proper hitting instructor as well. I've always had the pipe dream that maybe some day Keith Moreland would take that job, but that's clearly out of the question now.

23. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

24. ElginHotSausage

ElginHotSausage 500+ Posts

tommy does NOT do all of the recruiting trips. Skip is the one doing the recruiting, for all positions, not just pitchers.

25. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

See, I think we are getting closer to the issue. Nothing against Skip or Tommy. I would just expect that the kids or their parents would want to see the head guy.

26. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

are you serious? Augie gets paid that and he doesn't even make one single recruiting trip?

Nope, this has to change. Imo, Deloss has to tell Augie he has to recruit or thanks for the memories.

Not an Augie hater, I just think the playing field has to be level. Does every other D-1 coach in the country recruit? I think the answer is obvious.

How does Tommy stack up as far as a hitting coach? Is he number 8,9, or 10 in the big 12?

to me, if you got Augie to recruit and hired a very good, young hitting coach, you would be fine.

27. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Anyone think Augie might retire?

28. KEYSERSOZE

KEYSERSOZE 100+ Posts

OrangeOsoFu I agree with you Augie does need to do what Mack did and make staff changes. I like Skip and think he is doing a good job with the pitching staff. ElgingHotSausage you beat me to the punch. Skip not Tommy is doing all of the scouting of recruits both pitchers and other position players. I don’t why people insist on giving Tommy credit for recruiting when he is not recruiting at all. And as far as how Tommy is as a hitting coach well how does a team batting average of .263 sound. Weak that’s how it sounds.

Let’s talk about team chemistry…there is none…and why is that…because there in none among the coaching staff. As a matter of fact all three coaches hate each other, this information comes from a former staffer and two current staffers. The players see this every day so it can’t be good for their morale.

If we have another year like this next year we won’t be having a discussion on whether Augie needs to make changes. We will be have one about who will be Augie successor.

29. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

I'm confused. If all three hate each other then why are they still with the team? Or is there someone else other than Augie running the show?

30. KEYSERSOZE

KEYSERSOZE 100+ Posts

I can't tell you why they are all still there but believe me it's a fact that they hate each other.