from winners and LOSERS>>>>and then, there is TEXAS

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TEXnSEATTLE, Nov 24, 2019.

1. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

Then there's Texas, which entered the season viewed as a borderline playoff contender and the closest thing to threat to Oklahoma in the Big 12. Instead, the Longhorns now sit at a pedestrian 6-5 with one game left after once being 5-1 with a competitive loss to top-ranked LSU — a precipitous and surprising decline from the upper reaches of the Amway Coaches Poll to the second tier of conference bowl tie-ins.

One issue has been injuries. Another has been a clear lack of proven depth as third-year coach Tom Herman continues to add impressive but untested talent into the Longhorns' roster. The biggest issue has been the play of the defense, which has plummeted near the bottom of the Big 12 in almost every major category.

Saturday saw two teams moving in opposite directions. Whether the Longhorns can rebound in 2020 will tell if this jarring role reversal is temporary or part of a larger theme.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

By way of contrast, ou is now 18-0 in Nov games since Lincoln Riley joined their program (2015)

3. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

And it’s a bit depressing to watch other games and repeatedly hear ‘a true freshman’ when describing an outstanding play(er). Probably me being a pessimist but I think we may have left a lot of talent on the bench this year. Just hope they stay and play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I also follow Tennessee for family reasons. Unlike the Horns, they have gotten better each week including great improvement with a mediocre QB. They lost to Georgia State to open the season , but now sit at six wins with competitive play against Bama and Georgia. The difference is coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

6. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I am glad to hear that....a closet TN fan, sort of....also, they have been wandering in the desert for way too long!