Fussell, Enemkpali suspended for KU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Hook 'Em Danno, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

For violating team rules, per AAS. Nice.

2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

It just keeps getting better...

When I try to put a positive spin on things, all I have is a military strategy where you break the person or program down and then build them / it back up. The breaking down part really sucks.

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

ugh, not good at all, especially from two players that have to be considered team leaders.

4. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

On the road in the Big 12 without our two top scorers; a scary prospect to say the least. But we haven't won with them so might as well see what happens with them gone for a game. Some others are definitely going to get a chance to show us what they're capable of, let's hope they step up and meet the challenge.

5. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

We aren't winning with them so maybe we'll win without them... Now THAT's what I call looking for a silver lining.. Gotta love it! I hope you're right. Nothing else seems to be working.

Go Horns. Surprise the hell out of
    Kansas (and us).

6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That's unfortunate. KU's Carolyn Davis will have a field day without having to guard and be guarded by Nneka.

Something tells me at least one of them quits the team before the season is over; or, transfers come May.

7. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Rules are rules and if said players violated rules, then the suspension is justified. Will we ever know the reasons why? Probably not. Just unfortunate as these young ladies are supposed to represent the University of Texas.

[​IMG]

8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think that Imani and Davis will be guarding each other most of the time. This does benefit KU in that Williams will not have to contend with guarding either Imani or Nneka. Anne Marie, if she is able to give the team a solid 20-25 minutes will present problems for Williams as will Sara, assuming, and that's a big assumption, that Imani is able to stay out of foul trouble and occupies Davies. I am more concerned with our outside shooting. We need Empress and Brady to hit some perimeter shots to take the pressure off of Ashley, who is our only proven 3pt threat in this game.

9. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

This does it for me. I've been a defender of Aston and maybe this was so flagrant, she had no choice. But I don't like it. I'm withdrawing to the role of disinterested observer. This makes me wonder if the WCBB program here may have become such a miserable, dysfunctional place that kids are beginning to act out. It's hard to imagine what they might have done to warrant this. There are other ways to "punish" bad behavior, extra wind sprints, shoot a gazillion free throws, whatever. I have no idea what "team rules" are like, how reasonable they are, how much leeway there is in interpretation/enforcement. To suspend your two best players is essentially to forfeit the game, so I suppose Aston had no choice. It would be insane otherwise. Still, I am more on guard about her than I was before.

10. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

What's not to like? Aston is doing what Mulkey wouldn't do to Griner during the Barncastle incident! It did not matter to Coach A whether you were the best player on the team or a bench player. Again we don't know what the circumstances are and in my mind you have to give Aston the benefit of the doubt. I seriously doubt she is out to destroy the Texas program.

[​IMG]

11. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Fussell and Tiffany Moore were both suspended for one game as freshmen by Goestenkors in 2010 for 'off court issues.' Fortunately we were playing Pan American that night.AAS story

12. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Why do you "have to give Coach Aston the benefit of the doubt?" What has she done this season to earn that trust? Her record? The improving product on the court?

The program is in free-fall. Someone previously started a thread which stated "The sky isn't falling." You got that right. It's no longer falling. At least there's that.

13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

It's times like this when you have to just be ok with having a coach that clearly believes winning isn't everything. Of course, it would be nice to have a coach who thought winning was worth a little something at least. When you are 0-6 and suspend your best players, either those players were really, really bad or the coach is really, really bad. I know which one I think it is...

14. hornsgeek

hornsgeek 100+ Posts

One game isn't going to sabotage a program, but not establishing accountability for all of the newbies and not giving preferential treatment to the stars will. Since we don't know what the transgression was, I don't know how we presume to judge the appropriateness of the punishment. She's got to build a program for the long term.

I think the military analogy is apt. Swift and strong punishment should set the tone for who is in charge and what the expectations are for acceptable behavior on and off court as representatives of the university.

I assume Karen would rather do anything than bench two starters. She is a competitor. But some of us will give her the benefit of the doubt and some won't. Just another day on Hornfans.

15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

16. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I agree with Babhorn, the keys will be Imani staying out of foul trouble, and getting some outside shots to fall. And of course cutting down on the TO's.

As far as the suspensions go I always assume they happen for a good reason, and will never question the coaches decision on that front. TT suspended their top scorer last season, and OU has suspended players also; I guess most programs have at one point or another. But the fact it doesn't happen very often tells you it's probably for a good reason, and no other punishment is appropriate given the circumstances. And whether a team is winning, losing or about to play the most important game of the season obviously doesn't matter. It's just one of those things and hopefully other players are going to step up, and make the most of the increased playing time.

17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If Nneka and Chassidy are really only suspended for one game, and they really did violate team rules, then perhaps Aston did what was needed.

But, something tells me there could be internal issues within the program. There were recent rumors on this board of a player who wanted to quit the team, but was convinced into staying. We still don't know what happened with Ronisha Major, other than she is on the roster but not sitting on the bench during games.

Since classes just started, the suspensions aren't probably academic-related; but, perhaps someone skipped a class recently.

The extreme would be be if there were player/coach confrontations where something was said that caused issues.

18. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

19. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Looks like Ashley is out tonight as well with knee problems.

20. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The ony thing she has been consistent at is losing.

And why the hell you would suggest I have an issue with Gail being gone is beyond me. She quit and is currently retired from the game. That has nothing to do with anything I have said about Aston except for the fact that Aston would otherwise not be here.

You know what I know about what the players did or didn't do? I know exactly nothing (pile on here, please).

You know what I think? I think unless it was bad enougth to get them thrown out of the unviversity, I would have found a different way to punish them. Because I can only imagine how much it sucks for them to have come to UT and find themselves on the team that is currently delivering the worst season in school history. I can only imagine what **** they have pulled and how much they deserve to be punished and at this point I wouldn't blame them for acting out in all kinds of ways. But some of you are acting like they are hardened criminals who need to be broken. At this point, I would give my right arm to deliver them a W. But hell, we just guaranteed them another L. That's going to do wonders for their spirit. Certainly hope they learned their lesson and that now they know who is really the boss. Good for Aston. She's the boss.

You know what else I think? I think our pathetic record suggests we have the wrong boss. No hidden agenda. Pretty much stated it up front several times. So I am surprised you would be so shocked that I find their not even traveling to the game much less playing in the game to be one more thing about this coach I don't like.

And what I think, just like what you think, amounts to zero outside of this board. So, by all means, have an opinon about my opinion. What they hell else are we supposed to do on this board?

I defended the previous two coaches because I am not someone who thinks it's an NC or nothing. Had either of them delivered a season like this, I would have called for their heads.

And do you know what else I think? I think anyone who uses the word "retarded" in this day and age is pure gold. Good for you. In another life we probably would be the best of friends. Retarded???? LMAO

21. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

22. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

23. txex86

txex86 100+ Posts

24. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

25. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

I hope Coach A remains coach for a LONG time to bug the HELL out of the NUT. [​IMG]

Seattle [​IMG]

26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

It's going to be very interesting to see what people continue to post about this season. Interesting and entertaining.

27. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Actually I was just sitting here thinking that this board would be upsetting if it wasn't so damn entertaining. When you can't defend your position in any meaningful way the maturity level decreases rapidly. I guess the silver lining for me is how much I've been able to laugh at these posts during an otherwise abysmal season.

28. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

This board was better when the NUT wasn't posting. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Again my apologies to the HF community for giving it a reason to post again. I forget there isn't a minimum age limit on this site. But oh how I am enjoying the laughter. Too, too funny...

Here's hoping we're 1-7 when I post again. Good luck Saturday against K State. Unfortunately, I can't make the game because I have to coach my bb squad at the same time. (Can't wait to see the brilliant posts that comment gets!)

30. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

HA! You're a LIAR. You couldn't ignore me. [​IMG]

I am too good for you and you KNOW it.

[​IMG]