Future Horns Info

Discussion in 'Volleyball' started by flash34, Oct 28, 2017.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

For my volleyball trivia for the night while eagerly awaiting the WV game tonight...............
    • I don't think I have ever seen any information on the 2019 setter from Hawaii that we have committed. Anybody know any tidbits on her?
    • Asjaia O'Neal (Jermaine's daughter) from Southlake Carroll decided not to play high school her senior year. Anybody know why?

2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The list of the recruits in the next few years are found at: http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/49844/texas-recruiting-thread
    (they update page 1 as things change to make it easier to find the latest info)

2018 Recruits:
    MB - Asjia O'Neal (Southlake, TX)
    L/DS - Sydney Petersen (IA)
    S - Jhenna Gabriel (Honolulu, HI)

2019 Recruits:
    MB - Molly Phillips (Mansfield, TX)
    OH - Logan Eggleston (Brentwood, TN)
    OH - Skylar Fields (Missouri City, TX)

2020 Recruit:
    S - Naomi Cabello (Clermont, FL)

The Gabriel commit just happened at the last minute. I chalk this off to the last minute offers that Jerritt & coaches like to do. i.e. Riley Fisbeck.

As for Asjia, the volleyball thread had a bit of discussion about that. It's either or all of:
    1) her body is tired and she wants to rest it before college
    2) she wants to concentrate on her club play before heading to college

• Like Like x 1
  3. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the info Racer. On another chase......with McCoy getting ready to be the all-time dig leader, who replaces her next year? Hahn, Rousanville, Peterson(fr) or other? I heard a national announcer say that last years team overachieved due to it being the worst defensive team of Elliot’s in recent memory. And that receive and passing has and would keep the Horns from winning this year. So how does that improve? Guess they could have been partly attributing the defense to a very short setter,(now resolved)......but the serve/receive and defense seems to still be needing some attention. Love our team.......but sure would like to win that final game this year.

4. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The commentators also mentioned that McCoy had to "fight off" Rounsaville for her job this year (mmm, unsure about that). Rounsaville's serving problems might be an issue preventing her from becoming a libero (IMHO). Don't forget there's player named Olivia Zelon, who is one of those Jerritt last minute add-ons. She's a beach player from CA and it's obvious that she and Brionne Butler are being redshirted this year. I was impressed with Zelon's digging in the spring game and was wondering why she wasn't getting playing time - and then it became clear she was being saved for next year.

BTW, when I say last minute add-ons, it doesn't imply a scholarship. ON the volleyball talk board, I asked some coaches what are the player position that get priority on scholarships. The order (this anonymous coach's response) was:
    #1 MB
    #2 OH
    #3 Setter
    #4 Libero (it depends)
    #5 DS (almost never)

Remember Kat Brooks, who played all 4 years, never had a scholarship.

5. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Appreciate the info. Especially that MB is top scholarship position. What are your thoughts on replacement MB for next year? Asjani is a mystery to me. Put into the fray when we lost MB last year.....then benched as she wasn’t ready. So lost a year of eligibility and no siting this year. So is Asjani or Butler the answer next year or is O’neal A difference maker as a freshman?

6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Well, the talk among Texas fans on the forums is that next year the MBs in order of importance will be:
    #1 Brionne Butler
    #2 Morgan Johnson
    #3 (maybe) Asjia O'Neal
    #4 Orie Argbaji
    #5 Blair Westerlund

A RS-Freshman Brionne would outrank a Senior Morgan purely on her physical attributes. She's taller and has a much higher touch than Morgan.

Westerlund hasn't played all year, so she may be taking a redshirt year to give her ACL a full year to heal. Orie plays at the end when there is a blowout.

People are wondering if maybe Orie or Blair might then transfr when new blood comes in. People are also chomping at the bit for Brionne, wanting her to be played this year. But with the results that Chiaka is bringing, those voices have quieted down.

• Like Like x 1
  7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Appreciate the info. Still a lot of ball this year but nice to know what the plan may be for future years.

8. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Welcome! There's very little posting about volleyball and it's always good to have company. I myself have been just learning about the details involved in college volleyball the last 3 years. It's always interesting to learn about how things work.