FWIW: Jeff Fisher Out as HC...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BevoJoe, Dec 12, 2016.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

A few excerpts From the AP:

"The Rams fired their coach on Monday. Special teams coordinator John Fassel will serve as interim coach. The Rams are at Seattle on Thursday night.....

Fisher was the team's coach since 2012, and compiled a 31-45-1 record with the Rams. He oversaw the move from St. Louis to Los Angeles this past offseason.....

"Making a decision such as this, especially during the season, is one of the most difficult in sports," Rams owner Stan Kroenke said....

Long respected in league circles for his work on the NFL's competition committee, Fisher never found success -- or a franchise quarterback -- with the Rams, who went 7-8-1, 7-9, 6-10 and 7-9 in his four full seasons.....

Kroenke said in his statement that "this is the right time to make a change as our performance has not lived up to my or our fans' expectations.....

Oddly, Kroenke gave Fisher a contract extension before the season, though it was not made public until recently."

2. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Couldn't have happened to a better man.

• Like Like x 4
  3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Good for the Rams.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Been too long in coming...should have been canned long ago when he screwed over VY! :vy:

• Like Like x 8
  5. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I don't have a problem with Fisher but he has 6 winning seasons in 22 years as a head coach. He is the definition of mediocrity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

I bet VY is saying "karma is a ***** huh Fisher" I don't know who is a bigger pr#*K, Fisher or Briles? Both had it coming and got it. Fisher hated VY from the first day. Merry Christmas to all.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

Could've been different if he would've let Vince be Vince. Worked for Mack....

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Seattle Husker

Vince always had a ceiling unless he grew into a more polished QB. Fisher's methods are certainly questionable but he was trying to turn him into a QB that would be in the league 20 years rather than 5-7.

9. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Not a fan of the guy.

10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Buh bye Fisher! :smokin:

11. BigBull

BigBull 25+ Posts

Throttling down the Ferrari to run like daddy's chevrolet so you can keep it longer kind of defeats the purpose..

• Like Like x 6
  12. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

• Name-calling is not cool, don’t do it.
    So why don't you have a problem with him?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  13. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

How about this tidbit:
    There was the 165 career defeats, tying Dan Reeves for an NFL record

14. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

I'm not so sure about the ceiling part but given more experience, he would've become as you say, a more polished QB. However, I guess we'll never know.

15. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Vince had some maturity issues, but he would not have been the first 22 year old QB to have maturity issues and Fisher could have helped. Instead, Fisher was determined to see him fail, and pushed all the right buttons to make it happen. Total POS.
    I guess going 0-5 with your QB, Kerry Collins, and then being forced to start the owner's QB and then making the play-offs was too much humiliation for an ******* like Fisher to take.

• Like Like x 6
  16. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

If he let's VY be VY, it might have been a shorter lifespan in the NFL, but Fisher would have more than six winning seasons on his resume...

• Like Like x 3
  17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

This. Fisher was on record telling Adams not to draft VY.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Detective Shilala

After 22 years, it seems like some NFL teams are catching on to what the rest of the world has known all along about Jeff Fisher:

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/4/13806136/jeff-fisher-fired-rams-contract-extension-7-and-9-excuses

"He’s coached 22 years with only six winning seasons and two losses away from having more than any other head coach in NFL history.When a nuclear explosion rids the world of humanity, there will only be Jeff Fisher organizing a group of 53 cockroaches into a 7-9 insect football team.

How does he do it? How did he hold a job for so long in the NFL?"

LOL. Dude is a ****-bird.

19. Detective Shilala

Oh the irony... Guess who Fisher's winningest QB has ever been?

With the exception of Bucky Richardson and Neil ODonnel, who totaled 9 starts for the man, its VY, with a .638 winning percentage.
    Even Steve McNair could barely be mediocre under JF with a .580 winning percentage.
    The man exudes mediocrity so bad, I think his problem may be that he allergic to winning.

• Like Like x 3
  20. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Fisher lost his chance to win the super bowl when he decided to give up on VY. Hasn't been close since VY.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Detective Shilala

Yep, VY may have been the only antidote to his suckage, and he hated him for it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I would think that mediocrity would be 11 winning seasons and 11 losing season. That would be a .500 coach, which sounds pretty mediocre.
    To me, Fisher gives mediocrity a bad name. :hookem2: :cowrose:

23. Seattle Husker

His career win total hovers right around .500.

24. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Six winning seasons in 22 years isn't mediocrity, it's ....pathetic. Maybe "he" should be the new Secretary of State because apparently he is one heck of a negotiator.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

So basically, without McNair and VY he's a sub-.500 coach.

Their management is still dysfunctional and incompetent. Firing a guy right after giving him a 2-year contract extension is just more proof of that.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

All this hatred over the way VY was treated, yet no mention of Norm Chow?

• Like Like x 1
  27. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

Fisher is a hack. Fisher's W-L % without Vince is 49%? Vince's W-L% was 64% in 47 starts for Tenn.

Fisher doesn't know the first thing about quarterbacks and barely more about head coaching and defense.

28. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

Haha. Oddly, I simultaneously agree and disagree with the merits of that quip.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I laughed.

• Like Like x 1