Game comments

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by mchammer, Sep 16, 2018.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

- let’s keep Brandon Jones healthy - really key to our defense
    - speaking of which, how did Brandon Jones whiff on that long pass?
    - Dicker is an amazing kicker
    - at some point in near future the freshman playing now won’t be playing like freshman (Cosmi, Ingram, J. Moore, Sterns, Foster, Boyce, Cook, Dicker, punter, etc.)
    - punter has seen a season’s worth of special teams play already (blocked punt, personal foul, shanks, etc). A real baptism by fire for that Aussie!

• Like Like x 4
  2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I didn’t think it could get any worse than our punter but usc said hold my beer

• Like Like x 8
  3. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

This game won’t mean a thing if we don’t beat TCU. Not play a good game and keep it close. Have to win or we’re back in the same spot as previous years.

• Like Like x 7
  4. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

This is true

5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yup, lose to TCU and the experts / media will poo-poo the win over #23 USC as the Trojans are REALLY bad and UT is headed for 6-6 again....

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  6. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Well, even if we lose to TCU, this win still “means something.” It means we’ll be 2-2 with a nice win over a good program in front of 103,000, instead of 1-3 composed of 4 bad weeks.

• Like Like x 4
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

A bad loss to TCU relegates the USC win to the same level as Charlie's victory over Notre Dame. I was at that game. It was an incredible atmosphere. The program seemed top shelf... not so fast...

8. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

I'd be willing to bet a 37-14 win was more impressive to the recruits in the stands vs a 37-14 loss

• Like Like x 2
  9. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

I'll agree assuming USC ends up 4-8 as that ND team did ...

• Like Like x 1
  10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Well yeah, but since they can't sign right away it will fade into the dust if the team does not follow-up with the arrow pointing up.

11. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

USC isn't going 4-8. Have you seen how bad the P12 is this year? UCLA got mudholed by fresno st, ASU got beat by SDSU. Kansas and Baylor would win a few games in the P12. They could run the table til' they get not ND, but they won't. Even ND looks beatable.

I wouldn't put bets on anything in the P12 right now. Stanford and UW look like the only decent teams.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Living in SoCal for 41 years, I can tell you that USC has the athletes. They always get their picks of the litter. Top players go elsewhere by exception. It’s a massive and unfair advantage. For USC to have anything less than say 9 wins means that their coaching is really bad, team chemistry is terrible or the competition in any given year in the PAC 12 is really good.

• Like Like x 2
  13. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Guys- you are keeping Austin wierd.
    Yes, the victory over USC, the crowd, the shutdown run defense, Sam kicking arse and making GREAT decisions. Means a freaking lot. A whole lot.
    The look of joy on the coaches and more importantly the kids, the fight to overcome... and then dominate a top 25 team.
    Yes, put down the half empty glass, yes, and get this through your hard heads- means a lot. Even if UT INCURS A LOSS.
    Good night, I love you all and Hookem.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Well, if we lose to TCU and follow it up by beating K-State and OU, we're still in really good shape. Hard to see us beating Oklahoma right now though.

15. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Brandon Jones is a stud. He's really elevated his level of play this year. Also love what Sterns and Foster are already contributing. Very bright future for the defensive backfield.

• Like Like x 3
  16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Good Lord, every game a Crossroads, a turning point, etc. etc. can we not ever just celebrate a victory?
    Good job Horns. Hookem and bthoTCU

• Like Like x 4
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

When you are a marquee program for college football, one of the 5-6 most storied programs in college history, and have been pathetic for at least half a decade, then, yes, every game is important, but a win against one of the other blue bloods is a huge deal in your return to being "The Jones", regardless of how bad the opponent's season is going.

• Like Like x 4
  18. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

19. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Hey guys, if we beat TCU this weekend it will be the first time since this three game stretch in 2014 that we win 3 games in a row.
    November 1 2014 at TTU
    November 8 2014 vs WVU
    November 15 2014 at Okie Lite

Its been 3 plus years since we won 3 in a row, :puke:

I remember thinking we had ourselves something going. And then TCU and Arkie derailed us.

Even though we have roughly gone .500 in that time, we have won quite a few bigger games than this USC game, (OU 2015, Baylor 2014, Notre Dame 2016 etc etc) Only to follow those wins up with duds.

Don't get me wrong, this win feels good. But its only as significant as our next game. Lose to TCU, it meant nothing.

Win against TCU, and it meant something. Every game is crucial until we actually the train back on the tracks.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  20. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

We really need a win this weekend :hookem:

• Like Like x 5
  21. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

That is the way it is until Texas proves one loss won't turn into a 6-6 season. As of now we have an unproven team and coaching staff. They have to earn their skins.

• Like Like x 3
  22. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

At the risk of going all West Mall... it's tiresome that every single thing has to be A Red Line: This Far And No Farther!!

The season will be what it is at the end of the year. A loss to TCU will be a setback that can be overcome down the road. A win will be a step forward that can be undone down the road. To try and label this season a success or failure four games in is stupid - that is to say it's perfectly in keeping with the way we do everything now.

How many games have we watched that were supposed to be "A Crossroads Game?" "This game will define this season!" "This is a Must-Win Game!"

They're all must-wins. They need to go play as hard as they did last week with that same energy, keep building on what they're doing, improve every week, and live the cliche that every game is a one-game season.

USC game was a blast. It's over. Hoping TCU game will be the same. If it's not, regroup and keep punching.

• Like Like x 5
  23. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Our schedule is very front-end loaded with good teams. After OU, the schedule eases up quite a bit, but our next 3-game stretch is tough. If we go 1-2 in the next 3 games, I am OK with it. Maybe my expectations are too low but I only want 8 wins this year, including a bowl. Just show me improvement from last year and I am fine.

• Like Like x 2
  24. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I think this TCU team is beatable by us and think after the USC victory longhorn nation will show up in formidable numbers and our guys are pumped like after the bowl win and will be ready to do to the Frogs what some Aggies said in like 1892 and now they say it all the time.....forgive me if I just quoted blasphemy, but we'll Hook 'Em for sure!

25. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Rhetorical question. Is it wrong to want more out of life? Or your team? I feel like Harry in Dumber and Dumber "I am just tired of barely scraping by Lloyd".
    I choose to believe Texas is better than we think they are right now. The team needs to believe that. We've been barely scraping by as a fanbase for 9 years. Just like Harry and Lloyd!

26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Want/Demand/Expect...
    Can you look at last year and guess where you think we will probably be this year? It's just an honest assessment of the cook in the kitchen and the ingredients in the pantry. I don't want to disrespect the team using lipstick on a pig comparisons, but I think Phil represents a similar perspective to mine. To date Coach hasn't shown he walks on water, and our QBs are flawed. It is what it is. I don't want to be driven crazy by stupid decisions in the passing game and don't want to scream at the offensive play calling all night. But I don't think we're ready for primetime.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Their up-tempo offense and mobile QB "scares you to death".
    Defense has to execute for 4 quarters. No slow start.
    If we fall behind by more than 2 scores, I don't know we can catch up like tOSU did. If Sam has to throw it 30 + times, it won't be good for us.
    I'd love to see us run the ball stubbornly, whatever happens.

28. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

From a USC fan: “You can’t spell “sucks” without SC.”

• Like Like x 1
  29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Amazing how much better Sam looks at QB when the offense is tailored to his strengths. Nice completions to all levels of the field. Much better decision making rather than taking high risk chances.
    Looks like Horns have a kicker in Dicker. Two 46 yard FGs in the same game. Nice.
    Pretty good running game overall. Liked the use of Young to finish the game. Really happy to see that our leading rusher is not Sam.
    Defense continues to look better every game. Hope the injuries don't derail their progress.

30. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

In all honesty we could win 30 straight and lose two the next season and we'd be calling for heads because its the end of the world.