Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by general35, Apr 17, 2011.

1. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I thought it was awesome. it has what makes any good cable series great. lots of gratuitous sex, excessive over the top violence, good acting and performances. lots of characters. they have a lot ot work with.

2. atxbomber

atxbomber 1,000+ Posts

the show can be summed up in two words: incest and titties.

3. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

better than i expected.

4. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

Off-topic, that Dwayne Schintzius mullet photo is greatness.

It may warrant a separate thread about all-time great sports mullets. Along with Randy Johnson and former South Carolina QB Steve Tanneyhill, Schintzius is top shelf.

5. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

i was very concerned Daenerys Targaryen was not going to survive the "consumation" of her marriage. Dude!

but i saw her in the previews for next week! [​IMG]

6. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

better him than the 40,000 member "train" her brother was willing to put her through. does anyone have the address for the ***** house the midget likes to hang out in?

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Apparently anyone can die at any time.

8. 71grad

71grad 1,000+ Posts

Well sex and violence worked for Spartacus.

9. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

looking foreward to tonights show

10. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

I've got to admit, this show is growing on me.

I'm eager to see what happens when the Nightswatch start venturing north of the wall. With the white walkers, wildlings, direwolves, etc., there's bound to be some interesting subplots up there.

11. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

have not liked a single episode as much as the first. awaiting the violence to pick up. enjoyed the night taking it in the jugular

12. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

13. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

I'm 3.5 books into it. A fifth is due out in July and in another five years, as these books are trending, allegedly the last. So far the books are pretty good plotwise and detailed to the point there is no question as to the author's unending font of creativity. Fortunately Robert Jordan still has this author beat when it comes to painting a character's clothing and bogging down in a sea of characters and myriad of story lines. But thankfully, or not, GOT quickly (for six books anyway) begins to smite characters right and left. This is a violent world of fairy tales painted here and there is no mistaking the author's social message about the brutality of feudal societies.

Bookwise, there are too many people shitting and pissing themsleves. I guess every author has an annoying device or two. Another author of comparable subject matter, Jordan again, had his women constantly folding their arms beneath their breasts, boxing ears and sniffing when irritated or asserting dominance.

The director has cast the characters very well. Tyrion, Petyr (Littlefinger), Sansa and the Lannister Twins especially.

Some scense are altered and some are poorly directed or propped. Tyrion getting beaten by the gaelor was better in the book and more convincing with a whip. Kal Drago gets his chest wound differently on film than in the book and Petyr's somewhat stilted training of his whores (although not unappreciated by at least this viewer) was totally made up to move the story along or describe his motovation.

I believe HBO has greenlighted season two. Hopefully the directing will shore up a bit more and we will get larger sets.

14. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

IMO, the scene in which Khal Drogo kills his brother-in-law, Viserys Targaryen--i.e., with the "golden crown"--is one of the top "kill" scenes in recent film history.

You had to know that Drogo was going to do something brutal to punish Targaryen for threatening the Khalisse and insulting him in front of his subjects, but that was freakin' fantastic.

15. waazel

waazel 100+ Posts

To whomever said they wished there were more fantasy elements, I think I disagree. I like the fact that they aren't just relying on magic (or whatever) to get things done such that you constantly just have to suspend belief. That makes the supernatural elements (when they do come into play) that much more creepy/cool/"special" if that makes sense. I understand it has been marketed as "fantasy series" so expectations may have been different.

Not sure if you need spoiler alerts for episodes that have already aired, but:

*****SPOILER ALERT******
    Agreed on the "crowning" that was awesome. Drogo has become one of my favorite characters with his actions and his speech when the hit fails on the Khaleesi.

Drogo's got another one coming too whene someone else insults the Khaleesi. And even Dalton would be impressed: cuts the dudes throat and then pulls his tongue out thru the slit throat.

16. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Tonight had better not be the end of the season.
    OK - they showed scenes for next week. Can't believe tonight's ending though.

17. sandypoley

sandypoley 100+ Posts

Anyone else think that young King Joffrey (Queen Cersei's son) looks a lot like pro golfer Justin Rose?

18. djimaplon

djimaplon 250+ Posts

wow. How far along is the season (epi 9) compared to the books?

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This series has turned out to be quite good. The first two episodes almost lost me as it was slow to develop and the character names were hard to follow. But it has picked up since then.

All characters are flawed and there are no heroes, which is a nice divergence from the usual Hollywood storyline. And the one character who gave the viewer/reader some sense of hope that the impending doom might be avoided just got his head chopped off (I admit I held out hope until the very end it could somehow be averted).

The most enjoyable characters are the Imp (and his man), and the younger daughter and her sword-master. If I had to pick a next, it would be the wolf-dogs, followed by the various whores. This series offers some great ***** roles. The Stark sons are on the rise but it always seems there is something horrible waiting just around the corner for those guys.

Indeed, there is always something horrible waiting for everyone. If it's not backstabbing and political plots, it's war among the kingdoms. Which is overshadowed by the threat of a giant invading horde of semi-naked, heathen horsemen. But even their threat is overshadowed by an even greater threat of Winter. It's always something.

20. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

Waazel, I don't want to give too much away so I will try to be vague, but there is an increase in the "fantasy" throughout the series. Magic is actually "returning" to this land. I will say that the reasoning behind the return is a very compelling and just downright cool part of the story to me.

21. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Anyone else think that young King Joffrey (Queen Cersei's son) looks a lot like pro golfer Justin Rose?

all i know is he is a great villain and i hope his death (if it comes), is quite glorious.

22. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister is my favorite character on the show. If he doesnt win an emmy they shouldnt have the awards show.

23. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

agree on both points, General.

24. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Episode 10 ends Book 1 I believe. I wish there were 10 episodes every six months. And I agree also Tyrion is the superstar of the show to present.

Given all the multivolume fantasy series to choose from, I wonder why HBO would choose this series over others.

25. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Given all the multivolume fantasy series to choose from, I wonder why HBO would choose this series over others.

I think they owned the rights for a while and finally decided to do it. i never really read much fantasy other than lord of the rings series and the chronicles of narnia as a kid. I also liked the dune series but i think that qualifies as scifi. i know there is a ton of stuff, i just do not know where to begin. I like this series and im glad i have not read the books so i have no clue what is going to happen next.

26. waazel

waazel 100+ Posts

27. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

This last episode was quite a shocker. I'm impressed with the literary risks the writers have taken, especially with Ned Stark. Can't wait for Sunday's season finale.

28. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

29. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

Worst villain definitely goes to Joffrey. Jamie Lannister is a good choice, but has too many redeemable qualities: he's a superb fighter, is funny, and can largely back up his badassness. Joffrey cannot and it remains to be seen whether he will develop wit and swordsmanship. Targaryen was certainly a villain, but more of an overdramatic, ill-tempered, petualant caricature. Dude was a joke, and Drogo's treatment of him was approriate.

30. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

Good GOD, I hate you all!!! Here I am, almost done with book 4 and and I want to talk about all the cool things that have happened, but I have to wait for the show to get caught up! [​IMG]