Game One in Austin: Texas vs Baylor

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jan 15, 2016.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

#4/4 Texas (16-0; 5-0) and #6/7 Baylor (17-1; 4-1) meet in Austin on Sunday at 2:30 PM in a game televised on ESPN2. Baylor is seeking their 12th straight win in the series. Texas leads the series 57-32. The two have played every year since 1975. That’s the longest continuous playing streak against any opponent.

The Lady Bears have two players averaging double figures in conference play: Alexis Jones (# 30, 5-9 RS Jr. G) is averaging 14.4 ppg and Nina Davis (# 13, 5-11 Jr. F) pitches in 11.2 ppg. Kristy Wallace (# 4, 5-11 Soph. G) adds 9.4 ppg. Niya Johnson (# 2, 5-8 Sr. G) is the fourth leading scorer at 8.3 ppg. Jones (29-70; 41.4%) and Davis (28-69; 40.6%) lead Baylor in FGs made and attempted. Wallace is third in both categories at 17-42 (40.5%). Kalani Brown (# 21, 6-7 Fr. Post) tops the squad in FG% at 65.0% (13-20) while fellow post Beatrice Mompremier (# 32, 6-4 Fr. Post) converts at a 53.8% rate (14-26). Johnson has the second highest FG% at 60.9% (14-23). Alexis Prince (# 12, 6-2 RS Jr. G) is the only other Lady Bear to make a FG (1-3; 33.3%). In the first five Big 12 games, only four players have attempted a trey and only three have made one. Davis has the highest % from BTA at 50.0% on 3-6 shots. Jones has made and taken the most threes, 9-30, 30.0%. Wallace has hit 6-16 for a 37.5%. Prince hit on 36.4% (39-107) last season. Expect her to start taking some 3s as she continues to recover from her surgery to repair a torn meniscus and cartilage damage suffered in a practice back in Nov. Mompremier has the most FTs attempted with 21 but has only made 4 (19.0%). Hack a Beatrice anyone? Her fellow frosh post is hitting 90% from the FT line but has only stepped to the FT line ten times. Wallace is 7-7. Khadijiah Cave (# 55, 6-3 Jr. Post) has the third best FT% at 78.6% (11-14). Davis (7-12; 58.3%), Jones (5-9; 55.6%) and Johnson (5-9; 55.6%) have been having trouble making their FTs.

Five players grab at least 5.3 rpg: Cave (7.8 rpg), Jones (6.8 rpg), Davis (5.8 rpg), Mompremier (5.4 rpg) and Johnson (5.3 rpg). Johnson leads the Big 12 with her team leading 40 assists. Her average of 10.0 apg in the Big 12 is 3.8 apg better than the player in second place (OSU’s Patton) at 6.2 apg. Jones is second with 19 assists while Wallace has made 13. The Lady Bears have no one that has reached double figures in blocks. Cave leads with 9 blocks while Brown is second with 7. Three players top the team in steals with ten each: Jones, Wallace and Johnson. They have still given up 48 steals to the 46 they have nabbed.

Baylor has 13 players that have gotten into a Big 12 game. Alexandria Gulley (# 10, 5-7 Fr. G) has yet to play this season as she recovers from a Achilles tendon injury early in her high school senior year. Seven players have started for Baylor this season. Constants in the lineup for all five Big 12 games so far: Jones, Davis and Wallace. Johnson missed the first Big 12 game but has started all four since. Three others that have rotated at the fifth spot are Cave, Mompremier and Kristine Higgins (# 44, 6-5 Sr. Post). Jones (36.6 mpg), Davis (35.4 mpg), Wallace (32.4 mpg) and Johnson (37.2 mpg) rack up the majority of the minutes. Prince is getting back into the flow of the game, having played in the last two games and averaging 10.0 mpg. She will help provide some additional relief for Jones, Wallace and Johnson. In the post, Brown, Cave and Mompremier rotate in the post spot not occupied by Davis although two of the three will play together when Davis either goes out or moves to the SF spot. Higgins also provides some additional depth in the post.

Imani (15.4 ppg) and Empress (10.0 ppg) are the leading scorers for Texas. Ariel (9.8 ppg) and Kelsey (7.2 ppg) lead the bench scoring. Brooke (8.2 ppg) is the fourth leading scorer. Imani leads a group of six players with double digits FG made: Imani (30-53; 56.6%), Ariel (17-25; 68.0%), Kelsey (16-27; 59.3%), Empress (15-41; 36.6%), Brooke (15-37; 40.7%) and Brianna (11-31; 35.5%). Brooke (9-22; 40.9%), Celina (4-13; 30.8%). Empress (5-12; 41.7%), Ariel (5-11; 45.5%) and Brady (3-7; 42.9%) are the top 3pt shooters for the Horns. Imani (17-23; 73.9%) and Empress (15-20; 75.0%) are the top Horns in getting to the FT line. Celina (7-8; 87.5%), Ariel (10-12; 83.3%) and Kelsey (4-5; 80.0%) have the highest FT%. Three others hit over 75% of their FTs.

Imani is one of two Big 12 players averaging a double double in league games. She is 12.2 rpg to go with her 15.5 ppg. Celina and Brianna are second on the team with each averaging 5.0 rpg. Celina averages 5.2 assists per game with Brooke at 3.0 apg and Empress 2.2 apg. Brianna is tied for the league lead with 15 steals in five games. Ariel is second with six steals. Imani’s 24 blocks in five league games is more than twice the next player. Kelsey is second in blocks for Texas with 3.

Horns have started the same five players in every conference game: Imani, Brianna, Brooke, Celina and Empress. They average between 27.8 mpg (Celina) and 21.0 mpg (Brianna). Ariel, Kelsey, LaShann and Brady average between 18.0 and 10.5 mpg. Jordan just misses joining the second group with a 9.8 mpg average. Tasia, Sara and Olamide have played in four Big 12 games, averaging in single digits. That’s a consistent ten player rotation averaging double digit minutes and an additional three that have played in almost every league game.

Projected starting lineups based on the last game:

Texas______________Baylor
    Imani (6-7)________ Mompremier (6-4)
    Brianna (5-9)______ Davis (5-11)
    Empress (5-9)_____ Jones (5-9)
    Celina (5-8)_______ Wallace (5-11)
    Brooke (5-4)______ Johnson (5-8)

Baylor is probably the only team in the Big 12 that can match the height of Texas inside. A matchup to watch will be Davis and Brianna. Davis is the more polished inside player but Brianna brings a lot of quickness and energy. Imani and Kelsey will match a pair in Mompremier and Brown that will match them in height, and in Brown, will be bigger. Experience should help Imani and Kelsey get the edge inside. Jones will present a problem with her quickness and ability to both penetrate and shoot the three. Johnson is your classic pass first PG but shoots the ball well when she takes the shot. Horns can’t really go to sleep on her. Actually, I can see Baylor putting Jones on Brooke to keep her from getting open looks from BTA. Horns will have an edge on the perimeter as they will be able to rotate several players while Baylor does not appear to be comfortable playing more than Jones, Wallace, Johnson and Prince and moving Davis to SF. That move to SF robs Davis of her innate ability to rebound and put back misses by her teammates. Foul trouble on the posts could swing the momentum to one team or the other.

Conference Team Stats___________Texas (5-0)________Baylor (4-1)
    Scoring____________________________379_______________322
    PPG_______________________________75.8_______________64.4
    Scoring Margin___________________+24.6______________+8.6
    FGs Made-Att____________________138-307____________128-290
    FG Ave/Game Made-Att__________27.6-61.4___________25.6-58.0
    FG%_____________________________45.0%_______________44.1%
    2pt Made-Att____________________111-234_____________110-237
    2pt FGs Ave/Game Made-Att____22.2-46.8____________22.0-47.4
    2pt FG%_________________________47.4%_______________46.4%
    3p FGs Made-Att________________27-73_______________18-53
    3pt Ave/Game Made-Att________5.4-14.6_____________3.6-10.6
    3pt FG%________________________37.0%_______________34.0%
    FTs Made-Att___________________76-110______________48-82
    FT Ave/Game Made-Att________15.2-22.0____________9.6-16.4
    FT %___________________________69.1%_______________58.5%
    Rebounds_____________________224__________________205
    RPG___________________________44.8__________________41.0
    Reb Margin____________________+10.6_______________+10.8
    Assists_________________________75__________________88
    APG___________________________15.0_________________17.6
    Turnovers_____________________79___________________83
    TOPG_________________________15.8_________________16.6
    TO Margin____________________+2.80_______________+0.00
    A/TO Ratio____________________0.95________________1.06
    Steals_________________________43__________________46
    SPG___________________________8.60________________9.20
    Blocks________________________34__________________26
    BPG__________________________6.80________________5.20
    Winning Streak_______________5___________________4
    Home Win Streak____________2___________________3
    Home Attendance___________6504_______________20547
    Attendance Ave/Game______2-3252______________3-6849

Score by quarters (ave)_____1st_____2nd_____3rd _____4th_____OT_____Total
    Texas (5-0)___________________22.2____15.2____19.2____19.2____-0-_____75.8
    Baylor (4-1)__________________18.6____13.0____18.6____14.2____-0-_____64.4

Horns top the league in scoring, scoring defense, scoring margin, FG%, FG% defense, rebounding offense, blocked shots, defensive rebounds and offensive rebounding percentage. They are second in 3pt FG%. If there is a weakness, it is in 3pt FG% defense where they rank sixth, allowing 32.3% of opponents’ treys. The big battle will be on the boards where Texas and Baylor rank 1, 2 or 3 in the rebounding categories. Both teams like to go inside the arc where they are making 47% (Texas) or 46% (Baylor) of their shots. Neither team depends heavily on the three although Texas is having a bit more success when they do shoot it than does Baylor. A huge edge goes to Texas in getting to the FT line and in making their FTs once there. Baylor is shooting 58.5% from the FT line which ranks ninth in the league going into the weekend games. Both teams come out strong in the first and third quarters with a bit of a slump in the second quarter. Texas is scoring at a pretty high level in every quarter other than the second while Baylor slumps a bit in the second and fourth. Texas rotation goes ten deep with three others getting minutes. Baylor has used seven with Prince providing a third player off the bench in the last two games. Fatigue for Texas should not be a factor. With four players for Baylor playing 32+ minutes a game, it could be for Baylor.

Game time is 2:30 PM CST this Sunday, January 17. The game will be carried on ESPN2. Radio will be The Horn, 104.9 FM.

Texassports.com: “No. 4 Women’s Basketball starts fast to win big”
    http://www.texassports.com/news/2016/1/14/WBB_0114160805.aspx

texassports.com video interview with ESPN’s Mechelle Voepel breaking down the Texas-BU game: http://www.texassports.com/news/2016/1/15/WBB_0115165821.aspx

baylorbears.com game preview: http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/011516aaa.html

espn story on BU’s Alexis Jones, with a sidebar about the Texas-BU game.
    http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14576221/for-baylor-lady-bears-alexis-jones-playing-closer-home-was-best-all

AAS pregame story: http://www.hookem.com/story/longhorns-to-face-baylor-in-high-profile-big-12-showdown/

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  2. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Thanks, @BabHorn !!!! I'm so anxious for the game. Let's go Horns!!!! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  3. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

"">

• Like Like x 3
  4. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Well, I hope Mechelle is right, that Texas will prevail...We need to be LOUD and drown out the large Baylor crowd...Too bad we don't stick them up in the rafters on the opposite side of the court from their bench like they do US when we go to Baylor...
    Hook 'Em Horns!! BEAT THE BEARS!!

i SAY "T E X A S".........YOU SAY....

:hookem::bevo:

• Like Like x 2
  5. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

FIGHT!! :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

T E X A S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hookem::bevo::hookem::bevo::hookem::bevo::hookem::bevo::hookem::bevo::hookem::bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

FIGHT!!!!!!!! :bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo::hookem::hookem::hookem::hookem::hookem::hookem::hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

met Jane Slater at today's practice. Very nice person. She will be the sideline reporter for the game Sunday. :hookem:

9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

:bevo:TEXAS:bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

12. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

:bevo:F I G H T !!! :bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

:bevo: T E X A S !!! :bevo:

14. Richard Vaughan

Richard Vaughan < 25 Posts

Babhorn, you do an amazing job of doing the pregame details. You are the best on Longhorn women's basketball. That is the main reason I watch this site. Thank you for all you do to keep us informed. You are the best!

• Like Like x 4
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Wow, Lady Bears game attendance avg. is our 20k compared to 6k for us.
    Sad.

16. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Average home game attendance for the Bears is 6100 vs. 3500 for the Horns. Not that big of a difference considering there's a hell of a lot more to do in Austin than there is in Wacko, and a lot more activities competing for attendance. And I expect the gap between the two to narrow dramatically after today's matchup!

17. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Glad I checked the schedule since game time is 2:30pm and not 2pm as listed on the schedule sent out at the beginning of the season. No doubt it's been 2:30 for a while, and it's even mentioned at the top of this thread. But I usually just look at the card I got with my season ticket packet - 30 mins isn't a big difference, but don't want to stand outside that entrance any longer than I have to.

18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Don't understand why people think MBB or WBB will fill the FEC automatically when they play. Both programs need to win consistently and go deep into the NCAAs to get crowds to the games for more than just the big games. That is happening in WBB and I hope to see the same happen in MBB. WBB has always had a core of around 2000 that come to every game. We need students and others to come watch. Students could easily add another 2000 every game and a lot of noise. I constantly remind people at work about WBB game times and opponents and ask them to come watch at least once.

It's hard to overcome apathy and the WBB program is doing the hard work doing outreach to potential fans and getting in place a team that is fun and exciting to watch. Continued success will go a long ways toward getting our attendance numbers up to where they were in the late 80s and that four to five year period when Heather and Kala came in as freshmen in 2001.

It will be great to see the FEC full, at least the lower bowl, even if half the people are from Baylor. Can't wait for when Burnt Orange fills it up every game.

Getting close to time to leave for the FEC to go watch the Horns take down the Lady Bears. :hookem2:

19. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

That is crazy that some think FEC should fill automatically, especially for women's bball.
    Nuts.

20. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I think most people don't understand that the FEC is a very large venue for these games. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is the lack of student support. I am not sure what student tickets cost, but for now, at least, every student ID should act as a free ticket to maximize home court advantage. There is no upside to a slightly filled arena. As with any sport, winning in the post season equals larger crowds in the regular season next year. We are experiencing that today. And larger crowds will equal greater ticket values eventually eliminating the need for free.

• Like Like x 2
  21. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Is it not the case that UT students get in for free if they've purchased the athletics package as part of registration at UT? I know kids used to be able to get in to volleyball by flashing their ID. Not sure if Patterson changed that or not. I am shocked at the limited number of students that attend women's bball considering how many come out for volleyball. It's been that way for a very long time. They've tried giving away prizes and loyalty points and nothing works. That being said I agree with Babhorn's sentiments winning solves a whole lot of things and attendance is one of those things.

22. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Now we'll see where this team really is. Will the one sided a** kickings continue. I think it will, which why I think baylor will win by four points.

23. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Yes. We know. You've made yourself comically clear. :rolleyes1:

24. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Hate the announcers. Could they be any more biased to Baylor???

• Like Like x 1
  25. Slgore76

Slgore76 100+ Posts

Turnovers!!!! Kills you every time.

26. Slgore76

Slgore76 100+ Posts

And I'm out. I will check in later

27. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

We can overcome 12 :hookem:

28. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

How'd you like 15 minutes of 'panic mode' play?
    And that ridiculous lineup we left in the game for fully the last 6 minutes of the first half...ridiculous!!!
    Better hope we can start playing with some poise and grace, or this game will get totally out of hand.

• Like Like x 1
  29. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

They're not being biased.....are you looking at the game?
    We look horrible, and Baylor is looking good....as they usually do.

30. Slgore76

Slgore76 100+ Posts

Your right.. That was horrible. To me what all these blow out did was hide glaring problems with consistency in scoring and turnovers. Don't get me started on the lineup. If the team is as mature as they claim then they should know how to play without fouling. Just terrible. Mulkey plays a 6-8 man rotation. And I think that might would benefit Texas too.

• Like Like x 1