Game One in Austin: Texas vs Baylor

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jan 15, 2016.

1. familyfan

familyfan < 25 Posts

If I could get what
    Where did I say starting. Your superstar starters got embarassed . Alexis Jones took it to your point guards. You all americans are paid for you get at least two every year. I did not say any of what you are saying . Since you know for a fact tell me what school she wouldnt start and show me that for a fact. Just cause you star point guard shot and scored 16 pts Alexis Jones just went to the hole on McCarty and Rodrigo. She did not on Foman she was locked down. Now show me anywhere I said Tasia should start. Yeah I got a whole lot of inside info sure do. I don't blame the coach for anything . I see every practice what the coach does is her choice ... and thats why Baylor won has won 2 times last season and will most likley win again. Foman still dont deserve any of the blame for this game none of the bench does. Since all the wins belong to the started so does this game .. thats all I was saying. Do not get mad at me because Alexis Jones and Nina Davis clowned the starters . The bench had less fouls and Jones had less shots in the last min if that second qt. Lol its all on film go watch it do get in a little fit with me cause you don't want to believe what your eyes saw and the stats say. Foman is a good player dont care what you say . Sanders good player . Every girl on that team earned it and were top players in highschool. Clear springs never beat duncanville in any of their match ups . Brooke ran point on her team Tasia ran point on her team. Like I said other teams reruited Tasia miss state , baylor , tcu ... and yes can get you proof can say if she would have started . but the coach here is just like the fans stars mean better. Nina Davis was three stars but she made starters even posts look like fools. Give you whole team confidence , God forbid but players get hurt injured , in foul trouble ect. If Texas is a team known for their depth then so be it. Of course somebody going to start over somebody , but evey player should be needed and feel like they are need . you bashing specfic players like they not good enough .No they just dont have the stars on paper. Atkins , Foman and Davenport had to come to college to lose to Alexis Jones . Like I said dont bash the bench and try and get into it with me cause you starters cant play defense and let Jones and Davis score 53 pts combined. Alexis Jones was going to that hole like she was playing hopscotch. And three star Davis was finding holes and spaces against 6"7 and 6"5 like she was casper the friendly ghost. Davis straight up brought 6"5 down to the ground . I was sitting right there and it was all ball. So where Tasia would or would not start is not the issue. The issue is what happen yesterday and why we are on paper top in the country but cant be top in our own confrence. Good day and dont post back with that smart *** tone cause I never said Tasia or anyone should start . I said dont try and blame none of this loss on the other players . They deserve the same respect. This attitude is just why Texas will stay at a stand still more focused on rock star status instead of building a complete team. Talk after you superstars lead you at least to the final four. Talk to me when we win the big 12 . Foman may not start here or anywhere else in college but when she did start at point guard in her life she went 105 straight and back to back banners.

2. familyfan

familyfan < 25 Posts

3. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

What the heck are you talking about? Who said that a 5'2 point guard was a star? Who said that Celina was a star? All this puke that you just wrote doesn't matter. Look mama, daddy, brother, sister, best friend, or whoever you are. Tasia isn't good enough to start OR get more playing time at the high D1 level. She wouldn't be a starter for the majority if not all of the top 25 teams in the country. That's why I said she would start or get more playing time at a mid major not a high level D1. So stop bringing her up after every damn game. And next year one of those paid for All Americans will be starting or getting more playing time than Tasia if she doesn't have any set backs in her rehab and she recovers from her injury. It's not my fault that you're so sensitive.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  4. familyfan

familyfan < 25 Posts

Lol ok , I will tell her to keep that in mind .

5. familyfan

familyfan < 25 Posts

6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

20k is impressive regardless of the wackiness of the town you live in.
    Not asking anybody to move there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

This back and forth is so silly, and completely disrespectful of our players, and all of the great things the team has accomplished this season. Why all the drama? It almost feels manufactured. Tasia is a valuable member of the team; IMO she is talented, understands her role, and is ready when called upon. And you can probably say the same for everyone on the squad. All players have both good and bad games; that's true for every program. Thank goodness our players are far more positive, and supportive of one another, than a handful on this forum.

• Like Like x 3
  8. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

It's not 20K! The Bears are averaging 6100 at home, and the Horns 4000.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LonghornCatholic

Why you yelling, Bro?

10. familyfan

familyfan < 25 Posts

lol

11. familyfan

familyfan < 25 Posts

She will be ok. That UT degree is still good .lol

12. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I'm not riled up over anything, you're obviously sensitive about Tasia. I've said this before, this is big girl athletics. If you or any fan does not like what someone says when they are critiquing a player that's your problem not mine. People will always get sensitive when it's women but don't have any problem when the football team or men's basketball team has to deal with alot more criticism and critiquing of players.

13. familyfan

familyfan < 25 Posts

I said ok. I will let her know. It seems you are the one that is senstive about Tasia . You said she is not good enough . I said I will tell her. She will still get a good degree. Its ok calm down. lol

14. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Nope, she isn't if she wants to start or get more playing time at the high D1 level. But thank you, and have a wonderful evening.:)

15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Like someone said, she sat for basically the entire 2nd quarter with 2 fouls.

Depends on how good those 6-8 men are. :D

16. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Wow, one loss and the finger pointing and ALL CAPS and runonsentenceswithnopause starts!!!! And even exclamation points!!!!!!!!!

I was going to write my 2-cents but, what's the point? I thought we were going to win. But I don't play the game, I just watch it.

Karen's gotten the team better every year. This particular game, they lost their composure. But c'mon folks. That's just one game. It's not like they were fakes in beating Tennessee, Stanford, and Miss State.

And maybe Mulkey has our number. I remember we Jody had her number and it took years of her trying and trying before the shoe was on the other foot. I believe we'll be even with them soon. It might take a year or two..but it'll happen.

• Like Like x 5
  17. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Baylor does have our number for the last 13 games. For those of you old enough, I can't help being reminded of how La Tech had our number. (And you might know that was Mulkey's school.) We never did beat them, but I don't think that will happen with Baylor. In fact, I have a feeling we may beat them in Waco. We won't be scared this time, since no one will expect anything. They may be a bit complacent.

I have to agree with the poster who is worried about our post play after this year. A shame we didn't get Nancy Mulkey. Joyner Holmes will have to play down low a lot. I had the impression she was more of a wing.

18. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

My understanding is that Atkins has had medical clearance to play limited minutes. I expect she will be able to play more as the season goes on. The team gets at least one more chance to play Baylor this year. The free throw shooting by BU is what was ridiculous! Given BU's season free throw attempts and shooting percentages, it shows how motivated the Bears were! A few minutes into the game, it was clear that Baylor was the best team we have played this year by far. They looked bigger and stronger than one would expect from merely looking at the heights listed on the starting line-ups. I did not see anything, however, to make me think the Horns do not have a chance of winning on another day.

19. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

We all remember that this was a 6 point game with about 2 mins to go right? And we are now ranked #6 right? Cause you would think based on some of the comments that the whole program just fell apart.

Baylor is a very good team and on Sunday they had a better day than we had.

We fans don't like to lose. It sucks. Especially to Mulkey's Bears. But we are 16-1 six games into the B12 conference. Texas is back... Thank God. We are moving in the right direction and soon enough we'll beat Baylor. It's just gonna suck until we do.

I hated losing to Aggy for 4 years and then we swept them their last year in the conference. And then we met them again and beat them again. It will happen with Baylor. Be patient or at least be realistic in your disappointment.

• Like Like x 5
  20. TagHorns

TagHorns 250+ Posts

I think she and several are aggravated to hear blame put on the bench. It seems the bench makes some turnovers and the fingers point on this board. The starters have a hard time with fouling and not playing defense and it's suddenly the fault of the bench. It makes some feel better I guess. I can guarantee you that Tasia, Brady, Sara, Mede, Ariel, Kelsey and LaShann do not care about the starting or not starting. They have said in several interviews they will do whatever it takes to help their team. They are on the sidelines yelling louder than anyone in that gym for their teammates that are on the floor. The starters do the same for them. I'm sure Brady knows of her short comings this season after having a good season last season. She's lucky to even be out there. Her body is most likely telling her it is time to chill, but her heart is there for her teammates. She's a tough cookie and without her or ANYONE sitting and waiting for their minutes on the bench, this team would be up the creek without a paddle. Who would they put in when our players foul out? Their coach knows what they can do. Brady had more minutes than anybody and had a big part of why this team got so far last season. She lit this team up with her enthusiasm. I believe, that's what I and many others miss most about Brady. Tasia, Kelsey and the others deserve to be here. I would think a D1 coach like Aston would know better than most on here. We know what each of them can do. Unfortunately, some don't come back from surgeries or perhaps some lose their confidence as to how they are treated. I mean, if your coach doesn't believe in you, how are you going to prove yourself. The starters (most of them) didn't start last year. They were pulled often when coach saw fit. They earned their spot to start. Whether it be from injury to other players, or just having stellar practices. The problem is when you blame those bench players for that ugliness yesterday for their whopping 6 or so minutes of play when the starters were the ones out there fluffing it off. So if we are going to "critique" players because this is a "big girls sport" then we need to critique the actual details of the game.....not just point fingers at girls that have no control over what a coach thinks or chooses.

Aston sits starters also when they aren't performing what she is telling them to do. Not only because they might be giving too many fouls. They hit 3's....but if you don't get on your girl and play D out you go! What good is a 3 if they hit one 3 seconds later in return? It's a wash! That's what was happening. So maybe.....just maybe.....Aston sat them to shake them awake to play defense. 2 fouls and getting pulled? I don't think it was the fouls. All you have to do is listen to the coach when that player comes out.....she's yelling at them. Obviously something wasn't done right. Bench might not have scored a lot, but not a lot was scored on them.

I have seen several of these girls....Brooke, Empress, Imani, Celina have some really bad games. Brooke couldn't hit 3's for nothing for a few games, but now she's on. Thank goodness. Empress had some really bad games also, but has recently just started showing us that she's a fighter. Imani is off one game and on the next....of course her "off" I will take any day. She could stand to be more aggressive but she has come so far! Let's not get started about Celina. I have always been a Celina fan, but many on here doubted her. Look what she is doing now! I am so proud of her! Ariel has only scratched the surface! She's getting better and better. They ALL have good games, and crappy games. The books don't lie. LaShann I am up in the air with. I love her one game then doubt her the next. It doesn't hurt that your dad is a coach either.

All in all......it is what it is. A big FAT L in the record books. The end of the world is not here. Will we survive? Yes. Do people get butt hurt when some dawg on the girls? Yes. Doesn't have to be a family member or friend as you put it. I feel like I know each of these girls and most importantly, THEY have each others backs. I want to wring their necks, and the coach's, at times but I will not stop supporting EVERY one of these girls. Bench or starter. Without everyone doing their part we would suck!

• Like Like x 4
  21. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

She can't have it both ways. Don't complain about people pointing fingers at the bench an then turn right around and point fingers at Brooke, Celina, and the other paid for all americans. And also throw shade at Lashann.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  22. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Nice to hear such a logical post..finally. This season is getting into full-speed mode. Any program would be elated with a 16-1 start and a #6 ranking. If you've been paying attention to the men's basketball games, 3 #1's have lost in 2 weeks!!!! That's what basketball is all about.

We will learn from this experience....both the players and coaches.....with match-ups, what we did to dig the hole in the first half, etc. Baylor is beatable.....and we may be the team to beat them in Waco. Who knows!

It will be interesting to see how we respond with TCU and Oklahoma. TCU is playing in their new facility (very nice, btw)...and they play very physical basketball. Let's see if we decide to be more physical from this point forward. And we'll see if we respond to the pressure of OU, with another big crowd in the Erwin Center. Lots to watch and look forward to.

And NO...the sky is not falling! Actually, we're looking at a beautiful rainbow right now @ 16-1...and tied for 1st place in the Big XII.....and #6 in the country. It's been 15 years since could say that!

23. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I hope the team is not obsessing about the Baylor game like we are on here. I hope they moved on about Saturday night and started thinking about TCU. TCU is formidable. I'm concerned about them, to say the least. They beat us in Ft. Worth last year, and they're probably better than they were last year. I haven't checked, but I think they came as close or closer to Baylor a couple of week ago than we did Saturday. If I remember right, they killed us with their zone. Babhorn will fill us in on all that stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

All this arguing over one loss??? Really??? As disappointed as all of us fans were over this loss, can you even imagine how disappointed the players and coaches are? Coach Aston and staff have worked so hard to get us to this point....large crowd, marquee matchup with Baylor, etc. Do you honestly think they are not disappointed in their own performances? Why the finger-pointing at this point? Why the criticism of our bench and starters. Do you think these players and coaching staff don't know where they fell short? If any of you arguing and finger pointing were ever athletes, you would know how the sting of a loss like this burns through you and into the pit of your stomach. They don't need your uninformed opinions to make them feel bad. If I could point to one thing that I feel impacted this game (other than the turnovers and free throw discrepancy), it would have to be missing the fight, hustle, quickness and ferocity of Brianna Taylor. She does all the little things that don't always show up. We held them to under 40% from the field, shot better than they did, outrebounded them by 1. They shot I believe 10 more free throws, and Jones was on fire, then Davis got going. I've been a fan for over 20 years, making a 400 mile roundtrip trek from Dallas to Austin for almost every home game, even in the bad years. And while it was very disappointing to lose to Mulkey & company, those of us who have continued to support this program through the down years are ELATED with this new era in Texas Womens' Basketball that Coach Aston and staff have brought us!!!!! If you are a true fan of this program, shut this negative crap down, get off your ____, and bring some positive energy to these young ladies against TCU. I'll most definitely be there!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  25. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

:bevo:TEXAS FIGHT!:bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Some perspective, the first 17 games from the current/last 3 coaches:

2015 Aston: 16-1 (current)
    2014 Aston: 15-2 (Sweet 16)
    2013 Aston: 12-5
    2012 Aston: 9-8
    2011 Guestenkors: 12-5
    2010 Guestenkors: 12-5
    2009 Guestenkors: 12-5
    2008 Guestenkors: 14-3
    2007 Guestenkors: 14-3
    2006 Conradt: 13-4
    2005 Conradt: 10-7
    2004 Conradt: 11-6
    2003 Conradt: 15-2 (Sweet 16)
    2002 Conradt: 12-5 (Final Four Year)

I'm okay with 16-1.

• Like Like x 4
  27. LonghornCatholic

Me too, fork and all :hookem:

28. HookedorNot

HookedorNot 25+ Posts

I would agree with you jusme828, when Celina went out the game in the 1st QTR, the game was still tied. When she got back in the game in the 3rd QTR, we were down 18 pts. With her on the court, along with the rest of the team (starters and bench) we were able to cut the lead to 6 pts. That's a 12 pt swing, so I like our chances in Baylor. I thought the officials called some touch fouls early and that is because they didn't want the game to get out of hand. I am sure they were warned in advance that this was a personal in state rivalry. This is team and staff will learn from this game and be better prepared for the remainder of the season. I never thought they would go undefeated, in fact I knew we would fall short against Baylor at some point. I still think we will win the conference and the series against Baylor. Baylor played their best game of the year and we didn't. No need to panic, I like where we are. The win in Baylor will be for conference championship, so purchase your tickets in advance for good seats.

• Like Like x 4
  29. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

First off I'm extremely thankful I waited a few days to decompress and watch the game twice before commenting. We should all do that sometimes, it makes reactions much more insightful.

I recognize that not many if any of the other posters actually played/coached basketball as I have (not that it makes my OPINIONS any more valid). But what it does do is allow me to notice some nuances of the game. So I'll respond so some of the great, and some of the ridiculous things I saw in the game and read on the board.

1. I noticed quite a few posters saying "we should've done more on Jones". We did!! We hedged, chased, and trapped her coming off of ball screens. None of it worked. Not a coaching error, just a great player doing what great players do.

2. A lot of unwarranted gloom and doom in the post. We're still tied for 1st in the conference. And if things hold, we'll play for all the marbles in Waco. Not much more you can ask for.

3. Karen showed me a lot yesterday. Her ability to adapt late in the game and motivate (not many coaches in America can get their team to stay focused and continue to compete when down 19). And she showed that fire that I had so desperately wanted out of her. She should've been T'd up on at least 2 different occasions and I would've been completely ok with it.

4. The officiating was the worst if seen in ANY game this year. I thought it was particularly bad in person, but watching it on tv and it was absolutely abysmal. Not sure I would have been able to stay composed enough not to get thrown out.

5. B Taylor is essential to the team. Being down a started hurt everything, the bench, the rotations, the flow , EVERYTHING. So when we travel to Waco I assume I'll be just as, if not more optimistic because I expect us to grow in certain areas.

6. We're still fighting with the turnover bug in crucial games. That has to get better.

7. Please remember we were in a 6 point game with BU after being down a starter, having one of their players go for 29 and another go for 24 as well as going to the FT line 27 times only missing one. Those things considered, it would be pretty damn hard for them to replicate that even in Waco.

All things considered im not upset that we lost, just hate to give away a game we could've had. Regroup and move on so this 1 doesn't become 2 or 3. Especially traveling to TCU and with OU coming to town Saturday. Both teams are capable of beating people on any given night.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  30. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

They still need to work on their ball screen defense. The game against baylor wasn't the first time that they struggled defending it. Dean from tech also had a big game using ball screens.