Gameday Help, Please

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by TxnByBirth, Aug 21, 2012.

1. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

I'm going to my first home game since 2006 and I would love to know more about parking around the stadium. Should I just buy a parking pass on E-Bay or can I park somewhere else if I get there early enough?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and Hook 'Em!!

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It all depends on how long of a walk you're willing to make.

3. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

some state garages on San Jacinto south of 15th are public. $7, but they fill up fast. get there at least a coupla hrs before k o.

4. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

If you don't want to mess with it at all you can take the gameday shuttles. They have had two locations in the past. One is at 51st and Guadalupe by the Intramural Fields (park in the State lots) and the other at Barton Creek Mall. I don't know the cost but it's trouble free. It drops you pretty close to stadium too.

Gameday Shuttle Info

6. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

If you get there real early, there are parking spots along Dean Keaton between Red River and San Jac.

7. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

The area around the Dog&Duck pub is an option.
    - that would be South of MLK, East of Guadalupe, and North of 15th.

8. westexas

westexas 250+ Posts

The Presbyterian Church on Guadalupe south of the Co-op has a parking lot where they sell spots. I usually get there a couple hours early. I dont like the large gargages because it takes so long to clear out of them after the game.

9. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG] This is a whole lot of awesome right here. Thanks for all the help!

10. dahorns

dahorns 250+ Posts

11. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

$15 ??

Damn.

And the tow trucks will be real busy all over the area.

Between the state and the city, those greedy ******** don't miss a trick.

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I am not sure that word will get out enough to out of towners regarding parking meters. So yes, there will be lots of cars towed.

13. UT1986

UT1986 500+ Posts

Parking meters on a Saturday??? That's BS. Don't they make enough money during the week. Good thing I got my parking pass, but I would be pissed having to a parking meter on Saturday.

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Yes, 86. But if it helps you a little, it's not just on game days. It's all the time now. They have also extended the hours at night, I believe. I don't ever drive downtown any longer since I live so close but I think that is the policy. I know on weekends they charge during the day.

15. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

I don't know of any streets in the downtown / UT area that aren't metered. About everything from Lamar to I35 and Lady Bird Lake to far north of campus is. Probably far east of 35 around the Disch.

With a 3-hour limit, even if you stuff the meter it'll expire long before the game ends. I guess people can leave at the half, walk a mile or more, plug in more quarters.

Just another fun part of gameday........

16. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

There is a parking garage off 32nd and Red River (north of Dean Keeton). I think its run by a local charity. Its easy in/ easy out.....last year I think it was $10. Its an easy walk to DKR. Its a well kept secret....well, not anymore

17. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I've always parked north of the campus in either the neighborhoods or just on the street around businesses. Never had a problem in 15 years of parking myself (I honestly don't remember where the family parked before that).

It's kind of a walk if you're not used to it, but then again, if you're going to be up-and-down standing and cheering, you should be able to handle a mile walk as well.

18. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

I would consider buying a parking pass off Swap Meet if I could understand the Color Codes. Have no idea what a Gold, or Purple-Stripped, or 'whatever' pass means in terms of location. I cannot find a coded map that shows all the Foundation parking by special Color Names.

I thought the map here Football Parking & Transportation Map (PDF) would show that, but it does not. All the gold colored spots are foundation parking, but gives no reference for the cute little codes they go by.

For now I will probably continue to park at a charity spot just north of the Co-op building off Dean Keaton. But if anyone can, please provide a link that shows where all the parking codes are. There are numerous parking passes for sale on Swap Meet, but they only give the codes, and since I'm not Jason Bourne I'm out of luck.

19. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Hu:

Here's a LHF color-coded parking map from '10. I know for sure that Blk/Gold & Orange passes are the same as 2 yrs. ago... can't vouch for other colors. Maybe someone can fully confirm.

Parking w/ colors

* A current '12 color-coded map is buried somewhere on Mackbrowntexasfootball dot com - but I am too lazy today to find it.

OK, easier than I thought -

'12 LHF Parking w/colors

20. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

// got it! just what I was looking for. Think I saw one years ago. Saving to my desktop. [​IMG]

21. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

Is taking the Metro Rail a good idea? My friend is saying that is how we are getting there, though I can drive. How long does the Metro Rail run until? I looked on the website and didn't find any info on times. I've never rode on it before, so any info would be nice. Thanks!

22. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Here is the Saturday schedule for the MetroRail. A couple of things to pay attention to is getting to and from the MLK Station to Campus. The Connector bus that runs M-F won't run obv. on Saturday. So that leaves you with the city route 18. It goes right through campus which is the problem on game day. Get there too close to game time and they will reroute it.

After the game, until traffic dies down, reroute. You will have to walk to wherever it is going until it goes back to regular route. But depending on where you are coming from the train can be quite a bargain...which means it may be crowded. Prepare to go early.

Also, the 18 bus goes right into the station area so you don't have to walk anywhere to get it. But, make sure you catch it going the right direction as both go into that stop area. You want the one going to, I think, Enfield. Or, flash some cleavage or a quick smile and ask the driver if he goes towards campus. Show too much and he will lie just to get you on the bus, haha.

Rail Linky Poo

Here is your 18 schedule. Looks like they are running every 30 minutes more or less. As game time approaches and detours and traffic take hold, they will run late and maybe even bunch up. Again, go early till you get the feel of how it works on game day. This is for your trip TO campus. Hit Eastbound for going back.

18 Bus to campus from Rail

23. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the info!!! I appreciate it! [​IMG]

24. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

yw. don't get lost, flash the driver.