Gary Johnson

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by CraigHorn, Jan 5, 2008.

1. CraigHorn

CraigHorn 500+ Posts

2. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

3. derrumbe

derrumbe < 25 Posts

The *finish* of breaks in this game - I love it. Throwing the ball down in stead of soft roll ins ....

4. Mageeman

Mageeman 100+ Posts

I can not wait to get back to school to see him play!!!!

5. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

I don't even know what he looks like. Is he white?
    Just kidding.... I saw him on the bench during the Wisconsin game.
    I just wish I could actually watch him play. Sounds like DJ is tearing it up AND James need to work on his FTs.

6. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

He didn't stop the hemorrhage of offensive rebounds tonight.

He is fun to watch, very intense.

7. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

great improvement from gary on only his second game. love the intensity, hustle, and he is an additional scoring option. now, let's work on the FTs? mmkay thx bai

8. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

he needs to learn how to handle the media. he dropped a **** bomb during the post-game interview cuz he lost his train of thought. [​IMG]

9. DJDJAJGJ

DJDJAJGJ 250+ Posts

Throw it down big fella!

10. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

A lot of the rebounds St. Mary's pulled down were "guard" rebounds. Long rebounds due to long shots.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

I like this Gary Johnson fella a lot, and I like Damion James as a 3- way more than I thought I might going into the year.

It's almost like that SLX guy might know something?

Anyway, I hate Damion James freethrow shooting. Dude needs to be locked in a gym at the ft line for like a month. It's actually really hurt us in a couple of the games, especially the loss to MSU.

12. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

James needs to point his elbow at the rim, perpendicular to the floor on free throws. right now it is like this: / instead of this: | . His accuracy will greatly improve with that simple/subtle change. He has the touch and wrist/hand motion down.

Gary Johnson is gonna be a beast on the boards before the season is over. Great addition to the lineup.

13. TULAUS

TULAUS Guest

That elbow stuff is BS. Rick Barry was one of the best in history and had his elbow like this: ----. Bird had his elbow like Damions.

The way to be a good FT shooter is to be robotic. You've done it 10,000 times, you know you can make it, and your body is on auto-pilot. He just needs to practice and gain confidence.

14. Sgt. Longhorn

Sgt. Longhorn 100+ Posts

Damiens FT shooting is in his head right now. He needs to quit thinking about it. Remember, Meat, don't think you can only hurt the ball club.

Gary Johnson is going to be a good one. He explodes off the floor and has great touch around the basket. He's like a big PJ.

15. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

Damion's free throw shooting sucks because he simply doesn't bend his knees and put some leg power into them. I think he gets to the line and hurries, instead of relaxing and letting his body take a natural flow of shooting.

16. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

I was not trying to knock Gary's performance with the off.reb. comment. He worked the offensive boards very well.

DJ was a good FT shooter in HS, so it is in his head for sure. He is down 15% from the stripe in college from his HS numbers. He certainly has practiced plenty of FTs. He is a work horse who puts in plenty of time practicing.

As a team, we are still shooting 70%.

17. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Gary Johnson looks great. I agree with the post: [​IMG]

18. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

I'll agree. GJ looks great, and I also think Damion looks great, but both need to work on the FTs.

19. rememberthealamo

rememberthealamo 250+ Posts

....he is just what the doctor ordered.......

20. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

TULAUS, for the young folks on here would you like to describe Rick Barry's shooting style. I saw it firsthand plenty of times. I recall that his lifetime FT% is among the highest in league history.

As for James, if his jumper is mechanically sound, perhaps he should try the FT style of another old NBA 90% plus FT shooter Hal Greer, the 76ers guard. He would toe the line, dribble a couple of time and launch a jumper. Odd to see, but he nailed 'em.

21. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

22. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

I have a "How to Play Basketball" book that was my dad's, ca. 1950. It teaches the underhand FT.

The best way to shoot?

23. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

I'm somewhat mystified as to why more people don't try it.

You can guide the ball with two hands, not one; it's easier to do late in the game when you are tired, and I think it's easier to have some touch on the ball, because you just have to get it on the rim.

24. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

When we were kids, my friends and I would make fun of Rick's FT style, but he got the last laugh, all the way to bank with those extras points.

25. j.e.s.-U.S.

j.e.s.-U.S. 100+ Posts

I love how physical he is down low. He is exactly what we needed and is good at creating space down low.

26. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Screw free throws. I can't figure out why more people tapped from the audience to shoot from half court for a bazillion dollars don't shoot two-handed underhand.