Gary Patterson as DC???

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hillcityhorn, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Can't see him taking a job where he is not the boss. He doesn't need the money.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

He'll be the boss of the defense, he doesn't have to deal with alumni/boosters etc.

4. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Have heard for years the Star-Telegram is a rag now. This seems to point to that. Click bait, looks like.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

Well, I fell for it then, but at this point I'm desperate for any option at fixing this awful defense. This year's D makes me miss Diaz.
    Would be nice to have a Kenny Vaccaro type tackler, instead of the safeties (not mentioning my fave player) lol

• Like Like x 3
  6. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

It would be good to see him as an adviser to the DC. He will not be offered the job of DC and would not accept it either. He is a defensive Guru and could improve our defense just as an advisor and maybe a recruit evaluator. He did more with less than anyone in the Big 12.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. horninchicago

You could be right by posting this, and maybe the FW-ST could be on to something. Except, GP has always shown a disdain for Texas.

And with Texas heading southeast, it isn't like he could use an annual game against TCU to stick it to them.

8. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

He does have a disdain for Texas, but why? Seems like he should have more disdain of TCU now. Plus he really doesn't care for Baylor because of the rivalry he had with Briles. If we aren't leaving for a few years, he could stick it to TCU and Baylor lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. horninchicago

I agree, I never understood the animosity and disdain. He seemed to be the King of Fort Worth, and I guess he din't want to leave TCU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

So now he can play his guitar in the live music capitol of the world and be our DC or at the very least, be a consultant like Tomey/Robinson have done in the past. What could it hurt?

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Austin is a big music town....

12. William Bush

William Bush 25+ Posts

Yep, but not much of a football town anymore.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Maybe he can get a gig playing his guitar & singing at the football games, since the jumbotron won't let us hear the Longhorn band.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  14. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Coach K gets to stick to Texas every week. Why wouldn’t Patterson want that job?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Ain't happenin..
    CDC and Sark will keep staff intact for the most part and see this through at least 2-3 years

• Like Like x 1
  16. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Patterson doesnt need the money or the headache. Austin is not Fort Worth. He had full reign in Fort Worth and was well respected.Too many sharks in Austin,

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

For a guy that had full reign in FW, they threw him to the wolves pretty quickly. To much of their chagrin, TCU = mini Texas, they fire their legendary coach because of unreasonable expectations. They've had a lot of recent success (2011 rose bowl victory, 2015 Peach bowl, in 2017 they played in big 12 championship game.) BMDs are too involved in FW too, also, unrealistic goals of 10 to 12 win seasons are expected, EVERY season! Does that sound familiar? My point is that he is used to the headaches and the "sharks" too. If he is an advisor or whatever title as coach on defense, he doesn't have to deal with all that BS

18. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

It's never been much of a football town, if said football town involves meddling, intrusive BMDs, that are living vicariously through the football team, then yes, Austin is a football town. Think of 50 Jerry Jones, that insist that (fill in the blank ,QB that ESPN rated as a 4*) is the next VY/Colt to lead us to the promised land.

19. horninchicago

Guessing there has to be more to the story on GP being ousted. Shenanigans of some sort. I doubt the TCU brass would be so hurt by his bulletproof comments as to boot him when they have become a power, really.

• Hot Hot x 1
  20. RainH2burntO

It seems to have had quite a bit to do with his general attitude and it's effects than it did just wins and loss expectations.

21. RainH2burntO

Maybe they didn't really love him but were fine when they were a "power".
    Seems like to whatever degree he made them a power has waned in recent years..so maybe...their "love" for him waned with it. Though at least they offered him a nice parade LOL LOL

22. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

Well, he has an attitude problem, but he was also 181-79 at TCU. I think he could be an asset to our bewildered defense, not unless the UT brass is content with our current situation on that side of the ball.

23. horninchicago

I can tell you , my dad is fairly well connected in FW. He has been to many events where GP has been in attendance. FW loves that guy. Now, if the TCU brass only tolerated him because of the enormous amounts of money that have come to TCU since he has been there, then that is feasible. But, his on field and on camera personas are apparently nothing like he is in person.

Like I said, he must have done something stupid.

24. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Per KillerFrogs forum, this article says GP told players he was "untouchable"
    Former TCU coach Gary Patterson reportedly told team he was 'untouchable'

Seems like GP thinks his team quit on him, sounds familiar.

There are many references to Deon being a candidate for next HC.

From an opinion piece in FWST:

Much like what happened with the Mack Brown at Texas, somewhere it just went wrong. Administrations change. People get arrogant and complacent. A couple of recruiting classes that don’t yield players, and specifically a quarterback, and you’re on the bottom. TCU senior administrators made a decision that the coach who is credited for building it all had to step aside. Patterson didn’t agree, so he “resigned.” That’s the business.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article255439576.html#storylink=cpy

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  25. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Makes no sense to downgrade from HC to DC. However, I bet the Texas HC job is open in December 2022 and Gary is tired of his year off...

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  26. RainH2burntO

Yeah...I don't know. ...Was just trying to sound smart.
    :)
    Does seem like his teams have slipped last few years

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. horninchicago

No doubt. Very likely once they experienced all the success that slipping a bit is unbearable. They may have forgotten that is their rightful and normal place in college football.

28. RainH2burntO

I'm trying to figure out what ours is
    :idk:

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

You mean like Sark going from HC to OC to HC? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  30. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Big difference between getting fired for a bad record and being drunk at work.

• Agree Agree x 1