Gary Patterson Fired!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by EDT, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

Agreed, but what if TCU paid buyout??? They have money...

2. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

Traylor's new contract includes a buyout of $7.5 million if he leaves UTSA before or during the first year of the contract, which begins Jan. 1, 2022. It drops to $7 million in the second year, then by a million each year until the sixth year. Between then and season 10, he would be responsible for 25% of all of his remaining compensation.

3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Patterson, coaching from 2000 to 2021, generated a record of 160 wins - 57 losses with a winning percentage of .737. TCU has fallen since the 2018 season, and has gone 21-22 overall and 13-19 in Big 12 play since 2018. Only Texas Tech and Kansas have worse records among Big 12 teams in that time span. Patterson was signed through the 2024 season and TCU owes an $18 million buyout for Patterson and his staff.

Patterson won every major national coach of the year award in 2009 and 2014. TCU reached 17 bowl berths during his tenure, impressive considering the school had been a total of 17 bowl games between 1896 and his first season as head coach.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  4. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

And it wasn't just that he WON a Rose Bowl as a Group of Five team over a B1G team, he was FAVORED to beat Wisconsin in that Rose Bowl. Favored. And won. I remember them losing to UTA in the 70's and NTSU in the 80's. FAVORED over a B1G. And WON.

I understand the disappointment of the last 4 years and the fear of NIL making them a mid-major, but Mary, Mother of God, I'm gonna have to give our powers that be a break for about 15 minutes here. WTF???

:texasflag:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Be careful. The Nancy Pelosi’s will cancel you in a second for calling him that.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  6. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I don't get the bad move, terrible timing, they're stupid, poor class comments.
    It was clear his team's were starting to falloff, they aren't what they were, and he was slipping...even his demeanor/disposition..everything. their trademark stingy defenses, etc, all gone.
    Nothing wrong with firing when someone who you perceive is failing and (if) you think you have other options or need to make a move now..even if tenured. Not sure the "they were nothing before him" makes sense, and that having a mindset otherwise makes them arrogant. If you (in this case TCU) don't believe in yourself and your ability/opportunity moving forward than what are you?? I wouldn't expect them or anyone to view themselves that way if they are to have a good future of any kind. That would be pretty fearful, counterproductive, and debilitating.
    Also, some of the same people here clamoring for Mack's head now pitying Patt. I see the in season difference...but onus still on school to do what they believe is best when they believe it is best. We will see how wise or foolish it is but no need to judge it now.
    Best of luck to TCU and best of luck to Patt. They were a worthy (a bit too worthy) opponent to us for years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. LonghornCatholic

This was going to be his last year anyway. There was a headline a week or so ago about him leaving. I wish I I would have clicked on it now (not really). He just decided to bounce now rather than wait. I guess we can say he was fired, but I’m thinking, for whatever reasons…retirement, other opportunities, he was ready to go either way, not necessarily forced.

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Why not? It isn't like we are going to be playing them in the future.

• Hot Hot x 1
  9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Keep your politics on the West Mall, please.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Kansas and Mark Mangino say hola!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

They should put up a statue of Patterson in front of the stadium.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Six conference titles for TCU in his career. Would like to find a coach capable of doing that these days...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. LonghornCatholic

Maybe he went all Ed Orgeron up there? :idk:

• Hot Hot x 1
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Better yet, in front of the concession stand...
    :rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1:

(Sorry folks, he left a slow pitch softball hanging up in the strike zone, and I just had to take a swing at it...)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Fuente of Va Tech is floating around the rumor mill as a possibility.

This might also be Napier's chance to jump to a bigger program just one state away. He should at least get a glance from the Frogs.

16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

More on Fuente:

Building the Blueprint at TCU

• Earned a well-deserved reputation not only as a top recruiter, but also as one of football’s most innovative offensive minds during a record-setting five-year stint on head coach Gary Patterson’s staff at TCU (2007-11).
    • It was also at TCU where Fuente began a track record of developing quarterbacks and preparing them for NFL futures.
    • During his final three seasons as play caller, QBs coach and co-offensive coordinator at TCU from 2008-10, the Horned Frogs produced a 36-3 overall record and went on a 24-game win streak in the Mountain West Conference.
    • From 2008-10, TCU was the only program in the country that finished in the Top 10 in both the AP Poll and USA Today Coaches Poll all three of those campaigns. TCU also made back-to-back appearances in BCS bowls with Fuente on the staff, registering a 2011 Rose Bowl victory over No. 5 Wisconsin.
    • In 2010, TCU set single-season school marks in touchdowns (73), points scored (541), total offense (6,199 yards) and first downs (327).
    • The Horned Frogs also ranked fourth nationally in scoring (41.6 ppg), sixth in passing efficiency (166.9), 10th in rushing (247.4 ypg) and 12th in total offense (476.9 ypg) in 2010.
    • His prowess for mentoring quarterbacks garnered national attention as TCU QB Andy Dalton flourished under his tutelage. From 2009-10, Dalton led TCU to a 25-1 record and set the Mountain West career record for total offense (11,925 yards).
    • TCU was the only school in the nation to have two different quarterbacks rank in the top 10 in the country in passing efficiency from 2009-11.
    • After Dalton completed his career as TCU’s career leader in virtually every passing category, QB Casey Pachall picked up where Dalton left off. In 2011, Pachall led TCU to an 11-2 mark, completing 66.5 percent of his throws (228 of 343) with 25 TDs and seven INTs.
    • Fuente’s squad led Conference USA in total defense in league games in 2012, giving up just 331.6 ypg

Justin Fuente - Football Coach - Virginia Tech Athletics

• Hot Hot x 1
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Gary Patterson built TCU from "cockroaches" into competitors, BUT his actions off the field were far more beneficial to TCU than his coaching. Patterson was married to TCU & Fort Worth. He met with corporate leaders in Tarrant County to get support for the program. He met and help bring in new BMDs to upgrade facilities including the renovation of Amon Carter. He didn't just reject better offers, he rejected requests to meet with better employers.

Gary Patterson was every much a part of TCU as Sammy Baugh, Davie O'Brien, Bob Lilly, Jim Swink.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yes, but was he TCUuuuuuuunnnnnbbbbbeeellllliiieeeevvvvvaaaabbbllleeeee!!!!!!! like Jim Wacker?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Patterson deserves some appreciation from the purple people. If he was brought in to coach here, instead of Herman, we probably would have made the playoffs at least once, maybe multiple times. And we'd have 10+ wins per year.

It seems we live in a "what have you done for me lately" world. And it's been that way for a long time...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Herman played the scrappy underdog role well at Houston, he actually might fit well at TCU.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. horninchicago

Grew up in FW, never a big TCU fan, but I would be extremely disappointed if they hired him.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Because he mìght take recruits away from us. And who knows we may be playing them a couple more years

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. horninchicago

All I want to know is what is the symbol in "might" over the I, which I cannot type lower case?

24. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

NCAA football a giant mega corporation. When HC's were making $150k per year you could afford to let them "find their way". He was making $6 million per year to deliver a victory against Texas and he couldn't even do that this year.

I feel the same way, he should have been given a more ceremonious departure for what he has accomplished which leads me to believe he turned his usual assholiness against the administration. Once you do that your past means nothing in the real world of mega football.

• Like Like x 1
  25. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Wait, he was fired for not beating Texas similar to Strong getting fired by losing to Kansas? I’ve gotten used to us creating heisman candidates out of pudgy white guys, but now we are a fireable loss? I’ve got the sads. I might have to reconsider the two loser threads.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Wasn't that his annual statement? "The only reason I keep my job is because we beat Texas every year"? Another .500 season but he lost to Texas and bam! Toast!

It was kind of my own little passive aggressive sideways jab at him, but you picked up on it immediately. :smile1:

• Like Like x 1
  27. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

It seems like TCU tried to do the right thing by letting him go now but asking him to coach out the season, perhaps even offering him what might have been a ceremonial position, but he decided to bolt and leave his team cold so he could get the last word. GP is an ******* as some of you say.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

So, with Patterson out, an assistant Jerry Kill is the interim HC. Here's a little background:

Kill, 60, has been an assistant to the head coach the past two seasons. Kill was head coach at Minnesota from 2011-15 after HC stints at Southern Illinois (2001-07) and Northern Illinois (2008-10). During the 2013 season with the Golden Gophers, Kill suffered a seizure that sidelined him while he was treated for epilepsy. Kill joined Patterson’s staff after serving in a similar position at Virginia Tech in 2019.

Kill has been known as a “fixer” over the years, turning around programs at Southern Illinois, Northern Illinois and Minnesota. He is 152-99 in his career, (.606 win percentage) including a 29-29 mark in five seasons at Minnesota. Kill retired from his head coaching for health reasons during the 2015 season with Minnesota. He spent time as an associate athletic director at Kansas State in 2016 before returning to coaching as Rutgers’ offensive coordinator in 2017. He then returned to Southern Illinois as a special assistant to the chancellor in 2018 and eventually became the school’s athletic director. He stayed in the athletic director role through September 2019 before joining Virginia Tech and later TCU.

I don't know if he'll become "the guy" at TCU which at this point I doubt, but he does have HC experience. I do like his last name though.

29. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

He might be for other reasons, but if they essentially fired him and then said "But hey, now that we're forcing you out, can you do us a big favor and stay the rest of the year?", I don't blame him much for telling them to shove it.

30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

FWIW, Kill was Best Man at Patterson's wedding, so they go way back