Gary Patterson Fired!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by EDT, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Tom Landry was full of class to the brim, and they were obviously two radically different personalities, but...

...this Patterson firing bears at least some small resemblance to the Tom Landry firing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

TCU is a good school with a fine football program, but TCU in the new Big 12--without UT and OU--might not be a job that the top coaches crawl over each other to get.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

There already is one.

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

They have a statue of an *******?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Seems to me I remember another time years ago a coach was fired after losing to us. Can’t remember the details or who but I’m sure it happened because it was humiliating then that we were so poorly thought of as a competitor.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

A Step-up from the AAC, but below the "new" Power 4.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Uh, yeah, I know. Sarcasm meter out of order.

8. William Bush

William Bush 25+ Posts

Texas Tech and TCU both cleared the way for a bidding war for Sonny Dykes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

And the SMU game

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

The man in the purple pajamas. Patterson was a worthy adversary.

11. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

My personal dislike of Patterson probably makes me biased. For me he was bad optics on the sideline when they showed him. He's fat all the time and out of control with anger half the time. Add his ridiculous comments and the controversy a few years ago of mistreating injured players and this writing was on the wall once he started losing. I understand not wanting to finish the season once he was told he was being fired. But that doesn't show any loyalty or compassion for his players. It was a petulant response. Frankly, I find it comforting that Patterson got his comeuppance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Interesting tidbit, that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hillcityhorn

Hillcityhorn 100+ Posts

Good points! I might add or better yet, inquire. What was his problem with Texas?!? He had it in for us. My wife is a TCU alum and I could never get her to explain his hatred of Texas. Like everyone else in the conference, they hate us, BUT it's OU that should receive all the hatred, not us.

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

DFW sports radio seems to think that TCU will be one of the shot callers in the new Big XII. And that they wanted to get out in front of the situation and eliminate bad optics before the media started anointing who the new "Texas & OU" were for 2025 (or earlier) and beyond.

I tend to disagree. Here's my ranking of how much relative "power" each member will yield:
    1. BYU
    2. OK State
    3(t). Tech/Baylor
    5(t). TCU/Cincy/WVU/ISU/KU
    10(t). KSU/UH/UCF

Tech has the size and Baylor has the recent basketball championship to outweigh TCU's interests. If Cincy's football prowess stays where it is right now, they might even move up to that tier ahead of TCU, too.

They'll need a SPLASH hire if they want to be relevant. Someone who's willing to go after the Boykin-like players of the world to get TCU back to prominence.

15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'd push BYU down the list. The Christian schools are not going to let them rule, and being in the middle of the Bible Belt, neither will oSu and Tech. I expect Tech & oSu to be the bell cows followed by Baylor & TCU.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Unless Cincy ends up in the playoffs this year and continues to be a force.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The big Q is whether Cincy can sustain their winning ways after Fickell bolts for USC (or some other place).

18. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

The New Big 12 is going to be interesting. It will feature a healthy mix of political intrigue and intense personalities. Each program will be jockeying for position both inside and outside of the conference. Expect LOTS of moving parts. Which means leadership will have to be nimble, diplomatic, and strong.

Team Breakdown:

OSU will have a lot of gravitas, especially if Gundy remains for several more years. They're a winning program, nationally respected, and bring viewers. Gundy is respected, well-spoken, and the elder of the tribe. They will have significant power in the new Big 12.

BYU has the power of viewers and a large national fanbase. If they win consistently, their influence in Dallas will be significant. If not, they'll be prone to being stymied by the other Christian schools.

I think TCU and BU will form a bloc or partnership of some sort. Which is ironic considering they had a vicious feud going since 1996. As sabre said, they have mutual interests not only for their own futures, but also to make sure BYU doesn't get too powerful.

KSU, KU and ISU--I suspect these three schools will form a confederation of their own. It won't be nearly as tight at TCU/BU, however. Primarily because KU is already trying to jump ship to the B1G. But all three will likely work together to strengthen their positions, and make sure the Northern Plains don't get neglected.

WVU, Cincy and UCF will form their own bloc to make sure their needs are being met. If these three schools stick together, they can wield significant influence, as they represent the eastern time zone and some decent media markets as well.

UH is the dark horse pick for conference influence. If they can keep their football program ranked, and continue to have success in basketball, expect the Coogs to garner a healthy amount of respect in Dallas. But it won't come easy. If Fertita can add some diplomacy to his game, the respect will flow more quickly.

TTU will have a loud voice in Dallas. Expect them to be one of the most flexible/pragmatic schools in the league, making alliances with teams across the conference. They are well aware of how important this time period is for their football program (and university). Tech is another school that will be looking to improve its position both inside and outside of the conference. Big investments in football, basketball and academics are coming soon...

19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Tech and UH naturally don't get along. Tech may team up with TCU/BU, or with the Northern Plains schools, or be the "independent" swing vote.

BYU will play nice at first. That place has a very polite culture. But as time goes on, they'll probably wield more and more power.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I respectfully disagree. I think BYU will have the conference by the balls from Day 1, seeing as how they're football-only and will basically get everyone else to schedule around them. I don't think Baylor and TCU have any clout outside of the TX legislature.

Which is why I ranked them down... even if they're good in football and basketball, I think Fickell is bound for greener pastures and Cincy might go right back to a "spoiler" level of play.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

To me the wildcard could be UCF. They represent a critical geographic anchor for the conference and with the right HC — who can recruit— UCF could emerge as the next FBS surprise school.

22. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I'm really curious to see how many, if any, of the Big XII schools end up voting with BYU consistently, or put another way, how many are willing to be the mormon wives of the conference.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  23. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Outside the lines here but with the new additions I wish we’d stayed. Not optimistic about our future in the glorious SEC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Our problems would have worsened in the B12. OU would have left when the GOR expired (if not before), and then we'd be SOL, stuck on a sinking ship, while ALL of our historical rivals were raking in tens of millions more each season...and landing their pick of Texas recruits.

This move puts us back into a financial/recruiting advantage. It also provides a shot in the arm for Texas football. Kinda like 1996.

• Winner Winner x 2
  25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It is call "Texas Envy". Every school not named Oklahoma has it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yeah I know Major but honestly our performance this year has put me in a “what the ****” kinda funk that makes me say “oh ****” maybe we should have stayed where we are. It won’t get any easier.

• Like Like x 1
  27. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Hang in there. I think your spirits will be lifted on Saturday.

28. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

When the news first broke at the SEC meeting I posted "This is a bad idea riding on a runaway train". We'll be lucky to be Auburn.

29. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Whaa???

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

"Ye of little faith"

• Like Like x 1