Gas Prices and the Media Message

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by general35, Feb 21, 2012.

1. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Yesterday I was having lunch in our lunch room and was watching CNN and the story was how beneficial the high price of gas was and how it's actually a good thing. I took a doubletake because I'm in the oil industry and 4 years ago when we were in this same position (only this time it is actually worse), there were congressional hearings, nancy pelosi was on her high horse calling on more hearings on the evil oil companies, Maxine Waters was calling for socializing the oil companies, obama was feeling the pain of everyone about how expensive it was to get around and proclaiming he would do something about it when he was president, bush was blamed because he is apparently buddies with everyone in the oil business and he was causing this, there were other complaints about having no energy policy, the media was asking the bush administration what they were going to do about it, you had the daily hardship story about how people were struggling etc. etc. etc. Now apprently, the high prices are good. According to the media, it means our economy is improving, fewer death on the road caused by traffic accidents, better for the environment, etc. etc.

It is fine for me because I'm in the oil business and we are doing well. However, I'm curious why the media has changed their tune on this? High oil prices, long term, would be catastrophic to our economy. I find this facinating. We are the only country on the planet with a private state run media. Do all these media executives have daily meetings with the White House director of propaganda? Why can't they simply report the truth about everything instead of going completely overboard on one side or the other? It's disgusting.

2. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Simple. Election year. They have to support their guy. Media in this country is about as low as they can possibly get. He just rejected the Keystone pipeline for no good reason so to discuss real reasons for the price spikes would not help their guy at all.

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'd kill to pay what you guys are paying for gas. On the base, I'm paying $4.61 per gallon. If I have to get gas off base (which I only do if I'm truly about to run out), I'm paying about 1.41 Euros ($1.87) per liter - so about $7.09 per gallon. You guys are getting off light.

4. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

It's like everything else when it comes to the media and their darling President.

Gas prices high under Bush = 24/7 coverage.
    Gas prices high under Obama = No big deal and it's actually a good thing.

Bush takes working vacations at his ranch = out of touch, how could he?
    Obama takes vacations every other week = he deserves them. No story.

Bush gives a stump speech at Bob Jones University which admittedly does have an outdated view on racial matters = media comparing Bush to racism.
    Obama attends a racist church for 20 YEARS = nothing to see here; move along.

Bush makes a few oratorical gaffes = media ridicule and label of idiot.
    Obama makes twice as many gaffes = silence.

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

general
    Oh you are being too hard on the medua. why I am sure they when they run their report on it on nightly news tonite they will remind everyone how Bo wanted gas to be as high as maybe $5.00
    and I am sure some reporter today at the laugable daily briefing will ask when bo is going to do something about the high gas prices.

[​IMG]

6. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Will
    WE know you are a Bo supporter but surely you can also be honest

do you think MSM have treated the 2 the same?

8. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Try, respected the two the same?

The respect shown to President Bush is what has really started this hatred, where there used to be a divide, the way Bush was villified was disgusting.

In time, history will look back on W as one of the strongest leaders this country has ever seen.

9. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

10. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Actually his dad was one of the strongest and he was fired for that.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I think Bush 41 was fired because the Dems and media hammered the he lied theme

12. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

gas will be close to the $5 mark this summer, and that's only a conservative prediction. could be much greater. And it won't be Iran's fault, but our own monetary policy.

13. Leftwith

Leftwith 500+ Posts

There is no bigger enemy to this nation than the lib press.

And yes, that includes Obama and all the other Regressives. They'd be powerless without the corrupt media running cover for them.

14. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

15. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

BI you sound as if BO did not do just the same.

16. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

You guys are psychotic with their grand conspiracy you all constantly cry about. What miserable lives you must live. I feel sorry for your families.

17. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Hey, if you are of a liberal mindset, you gotta love the media. I get it. It's all good as long as we can get Fox off the air. Right?

18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So Bo blasted Bush in 08 when gas proces were rising ( but NOT to today's level. BO said then tht one of the problems is our consumption was increasing

this week the doofus said higher gas prices show consumption is up which shows the economy is strenghening.
    In 08 his complaint was that he wanted a gradual increase.

Well you doofus BO gas prices have increased since you took office over 3 years ago. is tht the gradual you meant?

he blamed Bush in 08. Who will he blame today?

19. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

Some real #'s the media won't tell you. US fuel demand is the lowest it has been since 1997. Yet, we are paying historically high fuel prices. they have increased 67% since Obama took office.

The fed continues to print money to ease the markets and to account for a disastrous deficit problem. This clearly is causing inflation, as our money is nowhere near the value it used to be, causing us to pay more per barrel of oil. these costs are picked up by the oil companies and then handed down to you and me.

Yet, the libs will never tell you any of this. They want you to keep thinking stimulus, which is one of the worst things ever to happen to our country. Europe's austerity is bad, but they're going to have a softer fall than the US.

The US is close to getting terribly, terribly hammered.

20. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

It must suck hard to know that your team's candidates suck so hard that the only hope you have of winning the election is high gas prices.

21. Knoxville-Horn

22. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

The media is not monolithic, nor are its various artisans of one mind about much of anything except generating more ad revenues and sustaining a viable narrative.

If the republicans could come up with an alternative to Obama, they would hop aboard. Most of you are too young to recall, but in 1968 they were all abuzz about the "New Nixon" because the LBJ narrative had run out of gas. So has Obama's but there is no clear narrative to replace his.

Not much of anybody is still beating the drum for the guy but neither are they hammering him. You can't kill one camel unless you have another in the wings; no camels and you have no circus and the show must go on.

Journalists are story tellers and they are not going to completely abandon one story if there is not another one they can tell with a straight face. The Republicans don't have a story an intelligent person can get behind. So the Pied Piper of Chicago is not getting the beating in the press he would get if there was a viable alternative.

As for gas prices, there is a market and it can get moved around some----recall the number Enron et al did on California a few years ago? But worldwide demand is up even if it is down some here. And higher prices here mean some have to drive less and others will buy more efficient vehicles, etc.

The entire political class in this country is a train wreck and the voters so ignorant it is almost inconceivable they can put their pants on in the morning. This election contest is like watching two blind hogs trying to dance on ice. Sorry, but this situation calls for mixed metaphors.

23. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Huisache, your illustration would be great if LBJ had run against Nixon in '68. [​IMG]

That said, it is rather telling that you went back 44 years to find a balanced approach to a presidential election.

24. Knoxville-Horn

BTW, I know my statement cuts both ways. I hate that so many uninformed people have an effect on the outcome of our leadership.

The very fact that rising or falling gas prices are attributed to the sitting president says enough. There are very few short-term solutions to gas prices and the president - good or bad - rarely has an immediate effect.

25. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Actually Obama is quite fortunate that gas prices are as low as they are currently.

1) Accelerating debt that weakens the dollar.
    2) Shutting off Gulf drilling for a year
    3) Cancelling Keystone

Not good.

26. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

27. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

28. Leftwith

Leftwith 500+ Posts

29. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

30. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I must not have seen this particular CNN story. However I have seen at least 10 stories so far on gas prices and none of them talked about the benefits of higher gas prices.