Gavin Newsom recall

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Seattle Husker, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

A buddy of mine that now lives in CA posted this on Facebook. It's the recall ballot for Newsom.

Look at the volume of candidates. That's crazytown. I'd vote for "Angelyne" if I supported the recall. With an occupation like "Entertainer" and one name she has to be a stripper, right?

My second choice is Robert Newman because a Farmer/Psychologist occupation certainly prepares one to manage the worlds 6th largest economy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I understand the idea of having recall elections, but their process is a dumpster fire. I don't know the best remedy, but perhaps the parties can nominate provisional candidates. Everybody votes on whether or not to recall and for a replacement (who would be a nominee), and if the recall succeeds, then the the winning replacement candidate takes office.

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Another point about the recall that I think is sad is that the GOP obviously has a real chance to get its foot back in the door in California and at least start to rebuild. Furthermore, the Schwarzenegger years showed that as blue as the state is, many voters are willing to ticket split for a candidate who focuses on fiscal responsibility and ensuring that the trains run on time as they do in the Northeast.

However, unlike Republicans in the Northeast, California Republicans are largely pushing Larry Elder, who's more of a culture warrior. Because of the recall system, he has a real chance, but what's going to happen when he's up for reelection, which will be next year? He'll get tossed on his ***. In fact, he will likely not even make it to the November ballot.

I don't know too much about him, but my instinct would be to push for Kevin Faulconer. He was mayor of San Diego, which means he can obviously in pick up blueish voters and therefore would at least have a chance of keeping the office if he does a respectable job.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

If ole boy gets unelected it will be 95% because of his wine thing. Poor decisions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

That sums up Newsom in two words. Hope he gets tossed out.
    Interesting side note - some reports say Feinstein is not well. It would be interesting if there is a Republican governor who gets to name a replacement for her (if and when).

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

This is the most interesting part. Democrats will easily win the 2022 election so whoever replaces Gavin won't have any time to make a dent in the state.

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

One party rule frequently leads to complacency and arrogance. When you win with 62 percent of the vote and your party dominates the legislature and every body or office that would hold you accountable, you try to get away with a lot of **** that normal people with even somewhat decent judgment would never try - like keeping your winery open and going out to fancy restaurants during lockdowns.

Newsom sucks and he's getting the flack he deserves, but I also can't help but look at Ken Paxton in Texas. What he has done isn't as easy to attack as blatantly hypocritical, but everybody knows that guy is sleazy as hell and just always seems to avoid accountability. Why? He's the AG. Furthermore, his party controls the Legislature, and its leadership either doesn't care or fears crossing him. Probably a little of both.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't think that's true. If they go with some activist firebrand like Elder, then you're right. If they go with someone who is a little mainstream and can focus directly on issues rather than on ****-flinging, I think he could get reelected of conditions are good. It worked for Schwarzenegger (whom I wasn't a big fan of) and works for Republican governors in Massachusetts, Maryland, and Vermont.

10. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

It's going to be tight but I think Newsome squeaks it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Seattle Husker

Yep. 46 candidates for Governor if the recall is successful. 46. That's crazytown. There has to be a more sane process than expecting voters to be educated on 46 candidates to make a responsible choice.

Democracy is good but this is setting up for the quality candidates to split their votes and have some bonified crackpot take the Governors seat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Seattle Husker

What are the chances that even a "mainstream R" can avoid being pulled right by the Pro-Trump anti-vaxx crowd?

I don't suspect there is any viable polling for who would replace Newsome if he loses?

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Somehow Republicans in the Northeast have managed to do it. I think they're more pragmatic though.

From what I've seen, Elder is the leading candidate. Link. He doesn't have a lot of support, but there's no unity on anyone else. It's a little like Trump during the 2016 primary.

14. Seattle Husker

Here are some samples from the voting guide:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Seattle Husker

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

That young dude at his next kegger..... " yeah, I was in it right up to the last week. But you know, now I'm connected. I'm a mover and a shaker baby!! How's about you and me go check out the 'almost-governor mansion' "

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

This poll from Emerson College is interesting. It shows what Switzer is suggesting - Newsom narrowly keeping his job.

What's interesting is which demographic is putting Newsom at risk. It's Hispanics. In fact they're the only ethnic group that supports recall. White voters are split, and black and Asian voters oppose recall (though by narrower margins than voted for Newsom last time around).

What I wonder is if California Hispanics are specifically pissed at Newsom about something or if there is a political realignment taking place with California Hispanics as there seems to be with Texas Hispanics. It obviously makes a big difference for the state's political future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HornHuskerDad

They already have a bona fide crackpot in the governor's seat.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I suspect everyone one of them would be better than Newsome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I think hispanics that are here (and that vote) are the pull yourself up by your bootstraps blue collar folks who don't like the liberal ideaology. I think bystander might concur. It's blunting the "blue" movements in Texas and other states and may save the GOP. May the dark lord help us. :)

• Like Like x 3
  21. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

That is correct, my guys are Hispanics who work hard and all told me they voted for Trump. Who believes in the polls anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. HornHuskerDad

Hope you're right, Bubba. We already have far too many liberals in the country.

23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If you **** on and insult people long enough . . .

Same thing I say about Trump.

24. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Good job Bubba. The Libs are screwing themselves again due to an unusually large amount of ignorance in their ranks.

Obviously, people with a strong work ethic are generally not going to vote with the lazy, big government is my daddy, welfare crowd.

25. CTex

CTex 100+ Posts

I think I should clarify that my “Like” included all but the last comment.:e-face-shades:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  26. Horn in Corpus

Horn in Corpus < 25 Posts

Quoting from above: "Angelyne ... Billboard artist. Icon. Experienced Politician"

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest she's "experienced" more than one politician...

• Hot Hot x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Seattle Husker

You could say she's immersed herself in politics...err vice versa.

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

I keep hammering on this point 1. Cuz it's true 2. To avoid the dis-information campaign by leftists, that those who have chosen not to be vaccinated are Trump supports when:

The lowest vaccination rates by ethic group are those most loyal of Democrat voters, the blacks.

The lowest vaccination rates by education are, wait for it, PhD'ers, who are also loyal Democrat voters.

• Like Like x 1
  29. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

And 3) those who’ve had and recovered from Covid.

30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

DD
    You think facts matter to these people?