General Presidential Campaign: Trump vs Hillary

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mchammer, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

MSNBC warned its viewers of "sensitive content" before they showed some anti-Hillary buttons from the Convention

2. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Again, I am not a fan of Trump. He is the lesser of two evils. However, he was booed and chastised by the republican establishment when he did not first agree to support whoever was nominee.

Kasich and Cruz are only out for themselves. That is why neither will see any future political leadership positions.

Trump is offensive. But he is far better than HRC and will bring needed change.

3. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

You either get Hillary or Trump. I understand your protest by either not voting at all or voting for Johnson. However, you still get one of the two. Which is better (or which is worse)?

4. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

This insistence on endorsement is a little cultish. I can fully understand someone thinking that Trump is the lesser of two evils and therefore voting for him. That's a far cry from endorsement. Why is it so important to force someone to lie about what they "endorse"? Very aggy like behavior.

• Like Like x 3
  5. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

It is the republican convention. I guess at least Kasich did not show up and make an *** of himself. My candidate, Ted Cruz did. Political suicide.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I agree. I was very disappointed in Ted last night. If he thinks holding back on an endorsement is going to help him down the road, I think he is mistaken. Republicans want to win and if HRC is elected, many, like me, will blame sore-losers like Cruz and Kasich for holding back on their endorsements after they took a pledge to support whoever the candidate is. I cannot imagine how he thinks this helps him in the long run.

7. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Perhaps Cruz didn't endorse Trump because he knows Trump is not a conservative and has no confidence in Trump appointing conservative constitutional Supreme Court Justices.

• Like Like x 1
  8. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Perhaps. However, he cannot believe that HRC is a better choice than Trump. If he does, he should have declined a speaking offer at the convention.

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The Never Trumpers are still under the spell that Trump is going to lose big. When Trump wins, these folks are going to hurt conservativism more than if they endorsed Trump.

10. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Reagan endorsed Ford after losing to him in 1976. Ford then lost to Carter. How did Reagan's endorsement hurt him? Why would Ted think that if Trump loses then his endorsement is bad for Ted?

The convention is all about bringing everyone back into the tent that slugged it out in the primaries, to rally behind the winner and to help him or her to beat the opposition. Ted hurt that effort and so did Kasich. They want HRC more than they want Trump. That makes them establishment scum in my book. I am very disappointed in Ted Cruz especially.

11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Depends on the issue.

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

To you all who are giving Cruz a hard time, if someone called your wife an ugly lunatic, called your father a murderer, and created a phony narrative that you were a philanderer, would you be in a big hurry to do that person a favor by endorsing him for President?

• Like Like x 5
  13. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Thanks for this Joe Fan
    I see myself as independent, but I won't miss GOT episode. I watched "The Walking Dead" but after one season I just had seen all the zombie dismemberments I cared to and didn't make time for it.

Maybe it is time to embrace who I am.

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Then don't show up at the convention.

15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

And what did Cruz say about Trump?

16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Screw that. Cruz is a Republican who had pledged delegates. He had every right to be there. And do keep in mind that Trump knew what Cruz was going to say.

No equivalency at all.

• Like Like x 1
  17. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

What is the biggest issue HRC will be better at than Trump? Serious question as I respect your thoughts. I just cannot see any other than she will not publicly make an *** of herself.

18. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

You know what hurts conservativism? Nominating Donald Trump.

I mean if Donald Trump is "conservatism" the GOP may as well just all be liberals.

19. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

He should have stated when it happened that he would not endorse Trump if he won. None of the candidates felt he had a chance and were just trying to protect their own interests if they won.

Then he worked hard last night and this morning to make it about himself. I was hopeful he would one day be selected for the SC at least. However, he probably made that remote possibility go away as well this morning.

20. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

^ what I have learned from Trump and Hillary supporters is that they value partisan politics rather than values and then americans wonder why we got Trump/Hillary. Why does nothing happen to Hillary over her emails? Because partisan politics trumps right and wrong. Cruz's obligations to his family and values be damned! The party come first!

Trump or hillary, it's all the same.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Newsflash: GOP is not the Conservative Party.

22. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Then do not be surprised when the GOP loses the support of conservatives like Cruz. If the GOP does not want to be a conservative party, it cannot be mad when conservatives refuse to endorse its candidates.

• Like Like x 2
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The trouble with Teddy is that he thinks everything is a debate, nice and decorum. I wish it was that way too, but that is not how politics are adjucated. That is why he would have lost to Clinton and Trump will win.

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Does not square when the opponent is Hillary. Fight to live another day. Cruz will never be the GOP candidate.

25. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Disagree - at least Trump is not a career politician. And a vote for Hillary is equivalent to a vote for four more years of Obama. Don't know about you, but I've had my fill of Barack.

26. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Remember the audience. For that group, anyone disagreeing with them needs a trigger warning. "We just want to alert our viewers that we're going to be intervewing some non-college students who don't live in California or New York, so there's no telling what kind of crazy stuff they're going to say. They may support Trump, they may say they think Hillary did something illegal, they may even be (please cover the ears of your partner now) PRO-LIFE! So please watch at your own peril..."

27. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Most recognize that Trump took pulled the primaries into the gutter moreso than any candidate in recent memory. Those tactics have repercussions. Shouldn't they? Does anti-Political Correctness now absolve one from accountability of their statements?

• Like Like x 2
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I watch both. I was surprised GOT was not in Rs top 10.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is the thing about that position. Let us assume this were true -- that everything they did was the same, all policy, all affairs of state, all spending, everything.

Except for one thing -- SCOTUS nominations. This is THE difference maker in this election. This is what makes this election different from any other. The "balance" of the Court is at stake. Shift that balance, and we have a different country. In 20-30 years, it will be fundamentally different to an extent that no future president could undo or fix it. It is this factor alone that makes this election pivotal.

If you recall Obama admitted that he wanted to fundamentally alter the United States. He did as much as he could get away with but he was held in check somewhat by a Court at least partially determined to honor their oaths and uphold the Constitution. But let HRC name these next few justices and that last check goes away. Congress would not be able to do anything about it either. And then it will be her not Obama who fundamentally alters the US.