Georgetown at West Virginia

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by SBGLonghorn, Jan 26, 2008.

1. SBGLonghorn

SBGLonghorn 100+ Posts

anyone else see the end of this game? The West Virginia point guard goes to the basket and puts up a finger roll as the clock expires down 1. As the ball is in the air Patrick Ewing Jr. swats the ball away. What are your thoughts on if it was a goaltending or not? Huggins was PISSED.

2. CadetHorn

CadetHorn 250+ Posts

I really don't think it was......it was SOOOO close though, it may have JUST started to come down when he hit it, but I really don't see how you can call that....great block.

3. MagOpus

MagOpus < 25 Posts

When I first saw it live, I thought it was for sure goaltending, but on the replay it was hard to tell.

Huggy Bear was ready to throw down.

4. DJDJAJGJ

DJDJAJGJ 250+ Posts

It would be really hard to call that a goal tending call.

I want to say something like, "This validates having instant replay". But even in the replay, I still couldn't make a conclusive call.

5. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

If you're a ref, you have to be damn sure of your call if you're going to blow the whistle and basically determine the outcome of the game in that situation. And even watching the instant replay several times, it's really close.

Kind of reminds me of Panama Myers blocking that Purdue shot that sent us to the Sweet 16 back in 90. Bob Huggins' antics were nothing compared to the postgame obscenity-laden fit Gene Keady threw after that one.

6. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

I thought it was goaltending like a mofo. LOVED seeing Huggy Bear all bent out of shape!

7. BostonRC

BostonRC 25+ Posts

Between Huggins chasing down Hightower and Ewing, Jr. running to the tunnel while waving "goodbye" to the fans, that was one of the most hilarious post-games I've seen. And the last 30 seconds of the game were pretty damned exciting, too.