Get to know Norvell....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by hornpharmd, Sep 9, 2015.

1. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

2. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I was exicted until I found out they were both on Bill Callahan's coaching staff at Nebraska (along with john blake of all people).... still he was better than Watson then and should be now.

3. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

What I can't find anywhere...is Norvell the new OC? ESPN says that Wickline and Watson have been demoted but it only says that Norvell is the new play-caller.

4. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

He's the OC, but with lawsuits and everything, we are having trouble giving the proper titles out.

5. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Well, you have to start somewhere and be on somebodies staff. Where else was he supposed to be? Wofford? If I'm trying to climb in the coaching ranks and Nebraska calls, I'm probably signing up. I think I will judge what I see on the field.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I'm with you, moondog. That is an utterly ridiculous critique to level at Norvell, or any coach for that matter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Problem with judging coordinators on their past programs is that they're not actually running the programs. Who knows how much latitude they got at that position, or if they had the resources/support/organizational structure to do what they wanted to do.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Well I judged Watson on his past programs..... I wonder if i was right or wrong on that one.

I also said Norvell should be an improvement. I am willing to give him a chance. Just noted there might be some concerns is all. His resume certainly is better than watson's. I personally have some hope.

9. Mark Miller

Mark Miller 25+ Posts

[​IMG]

NOT!!! Norvell was underwhelming at OU as co-OC and alienated most of the WR corp. They are much improved this year with better attitudes since he has been deported across the Red River. Tuff talkin' Charlie making a desperate move like a gambler on a losing streak.

10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

A lot of posters around here seemed to think Harsin was great but he was handcuffed by Mack Brown. So, like someone said above, maybe Stoopsie didn't let Norvell thrive.

I'm happy to see the change and hope for positive growth from here.

11. Mark Miller

Mark Miller 25+ Posts

Stoops is known for (to a fault) in giving his staff free reign until they have proven to be busts - See NC and runner-up for the Heisman Heuple, Norvell, Willie Martinez, Chuck Long, Jackie Shipp, Bo Pellini, etc.

Except for the Colts - when there was Manning and Harrison, I don't know where Norvell has ever thrived or blossomed into a top rate anything. He's been more of a serviceable coach than a miracle worker - and he has been well connected throughout the coaching grapevine.

12. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Then I guess we are doomed.

13. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

This feels like a desperate move if you ask me. For one thing, Norvelle has an uphill climb just to make this offense average. For another thing he's never proven he can do this job.

If he can make this offense look even pedestrian its like completing a hail mary pass. More then likely too little too late and Charlie will be searching for another OC in the off-season. And the offensive incoherence continues...

14. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

Norvell probably is a stopgap until the end of the season but a move had to be made. Traylor basically has 1 job and can't get his 11 on the field so I'm guessing calling plays at the Big 12 level would be a little over his head right now, so he isn't an option.
    My hope is that Norvell can if nothing else have a rhythm to his offense that makes the O-Line's job easier.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

This. I think (and hope) Coach Strong brings in a new offensive staff this offseason. However, this is probably the best move he can make with the coaches he has now to maximize success. It's possible Traylor could be better, but as discussed above, Traylor is probably not quite ready yet for that job even if he ends up being better down the line.

16. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

I think CS is a smart guy who has had success doing it a certain way but is finding his style isn't working anymore, at least offensively and we are watching a tiger try and change his stripes. The good news is, he is trying to change his stripes. He took notice that running the spread had to be done in order to succeed and so he wanted to move in that direction...but he has or had an OC that just wasn't able to do what needed to be done. I think he loves the opportunity to be the head coach at Texas and will do what is necessary to make it work. Removing Chambers and Les was a baby step, demoting Watson was a huge step.
    Charlie has had a terrible start but I think he can make it work. He works too hard for it not to.

17. Mark Miller

Mark Miller 25+ Posts

This movie - Textanic - started in 2010 and continues...:popcorn:

Since Colt McCoy’s injury in the 2009 national title game, the Longhorns are 36-30. In the preceding 76 games leading up to that night in Pasadena, the Longhorns were 68-8.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Just wondering. Are you suggesting that we should have stood pat and not made a change? If not, then what change would you have proposed?

19. Mark Miller

Mark Miller 25+ Posts

The change should have happened after the WTF of 59 yards gained against the hogs.

Tuff talkin' Charlie should have and will have to hire an OC prodigy from the Lavelle Edwards/Hal Mumme/Mike Leach tree of coaching. Ya know like Lincoln Riley at OU, D. Meacham/S. Cumbie @ TCU, Kendal Briles @ Baylor, etc.

There's plenty of OC talent out there. Watson is not the answer for a team in the Big 12. CS's view and philosophy of offense has to change or he's going to be out of a job in 2-3 yrs.

At least Norvell was the beneficiary of Ryan Broyles, Kenny Stills and Landry Jones carving up UT's secondary in 2010-2012. Maybe he learned something. But, Norvell is not the long term solution. If he was, he would still be at OU.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  20. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure I'd slam a guy who in 4 of 5 years as co-OC at OU the offense scored in the top 20. 3 times they averaged over 37 points. Hell, the lowest they scored was still a respectable 32.8 points.

Again I don't know the background of who ran what, etc...but OU did put up solid point totals during that span that we'd give our left nut for.

2010 - 37.2 (14th)
    2011 - 39.5 (10th)
    2012 - 38.2 (15th)
    2013 - 32.8 (41st)
    2014 - 36.2 (20th)

Pair the 2014 Texas defense (23.3 ppg) with 4 of those offenses and we're in a conference title chase. Watson's 21.4 ppg (114th) couldn't be saved by the '85 Bears D.

There is no way in hell Norvell is not a lofty step up from Watsuck. Nice job manning up, Charlie. Now give us some Heard like Babers, Neil, and all Longhorns with any football sense have been begging for.

21. Mark Miller

Mark Miller 25+ Posts

Then CS should hire another former OU All-American QB (aka DKR) - Josh Heuple was the QB coach in 2010 and called the plays as CO-OC from 2011-2014. JH was exiled to Utah State as their OC as JN was shipped off as a castaway to UT. I think not...

22. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Was Norvell not part of designing the scheme with Heuple as co-OC? Proudly I don't know dick about OU's offensive staff specifics.

If he was, I'd assume that knowledge and experience would apply to what we want to do here. Things Watson couldn't comprehend. Then again, teams today throw around meaningless "co" titles at the drop of a hat.

Regardless of any of these OU answers on Norvell I know 100% it was a move in the positive direction over Watson. The waterboy could call an offense that finishes higher than 108th and then gets d*ck-slapped again at ND.

23. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Doesn't matter, as long as it wasn't someone named Watson.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Mark Miller

Mark Miller 25+ Posts

Kevin Wilson called the plays in 2010. He has been very unspectacular at Indiana as the HC.

25. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Agree 100% on that, mh. Nothing could darken my ray of hope from the simple fact that anyone but Watson is calling the shots. Seriously, the offense cannot get any more ineptly planned or void of in-game adjustments than it was.

• Like Like x 1
  26. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

It seems to me that Stoops needed to make a change at OC last year because OU has lost to Baylor the last 2 years and TCU the last year. Last year they took a step back by losing 3 close games against K-state, TCU, and OSU. Losing 5 games including the last 2 and one of those being your in-state rival is something that demands a shakeup or change in your coaching staff. And that is what he did. He wants his team to be more up tempo and score more points similar to what Baylor is doing. His team is in the same boat as a large of of teams in the country right now.....trying to keep up with these high scoring exciting offenses.

Norvell hasn't called plays since 07 so it doesn't surprise me that he didn't get the head OC position at a big program like OU. He wouldn't get it at UT either. But as far as making a change at this point in the season you have to promote a guy on your staff and this is the best move for this team at this time. Now he can have a chance to prove if he belongs in this position or now. Time will tell.

27. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

I have no problem with this move, although I believe it's a band-aid that will need to be replaced at the end of the season. I do, however, have a problem with the timing. This should have happened at the end of last season. Charlie could have gone out and found someone that understands the concept of spread/up-tempo/spread-tempo/whatever you want to call it offense. Watson had no clue, was never going to have a clue, and I believe Charlie knew he had no clue but wanted to be loyal and give him a chance to adapt. Massive failure.

Now he's put the fan base and more importantly the team in disarray and unless Norvell can be some type of savant we are looking at another lost season. Robinson wasn't able to turn the defense around right away after the dumpster fire that was Manny Diaz and I don't expect Norvell to have much more success with the offense early on. But if he can get things in order by the start of conference he could be the one man that ends up saving Strong's job.

28. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Three things (at least) were evidently wrong offensively in the ND game. Line play was poor. QB play was poor. Play selection was poor.

Strong's move of Norvell to sole play caller MIGHT improve all three. Wickline can concentrate fully on the OL which needs his full time magic. Watson can concentrate full time on helping the QBs who need someone's magic and Watson is the only available choice. Play calling should improve now that the running and passing plays are under Norvell's control.

Remaining concerns on offense:
    1. Getting the right personnel in quickly for a given play - this must be harder than I realized as it seems difficult for the Horns although MANY teams can do it.
    2. Are the WRs going to regress without Norvell's full time attention? I could not tell from the broadcast if the WRs performed decently or not.

• Like Like x 2
  29. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Mark Miller sounds like he's an aggy. Norvell will be leaps and bounds better than Watson. I'm now looking forward to the ou game. With Watson out as play caller I now have hope.

30. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Dan Neil said our line play at ND was actually improved.