Getting the smell out of flip flops?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by RollingwoodHorn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

My rainbows smell like ***. Any home remedies for that?

2. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

buy some new ones...they cant be expensive

or wash yourself [​IMG]

3. KingKoopa

KingKoopa 250+ Posts

actually, they're about $50 a pair. but worth every penny. i love my rainbows. no clue how you would wash them since they're leather... try emailing them. they're really helpful. had to call them about replacements one time.

Phone: (800) 762-7635
    (949) 492-4930
    Fax: (949) 493-8322
    sales@rainbowsandals.com

4. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

seriously, buy a new pair.

5. FawltyTowers

FawltyTowers 25+ Posts

well just don't go sticking them in there and they won't smell like it.

How much cana new pair be anyway?

6. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

lysol + sun = dead funk germs

7. big_fat_horn

big_fat_horn 100+ Posts

8. austinmama

austinmama 25+ Posts

I'm a Reefs wearer myself, but my nanny is a Rainbow devotee. She has a pair that are DISGUSTING (I tease her about them all the time) -- all dirty with holes in the leather, etc. -- and she keeps saying she just needs to send them in and they'll send her a new pair. Apparently her whole group of friends wears them and when they get old/smelly/holey, they just send them in for new ones. Worth a try.

Or, you could sell them on ebay and buy a new pair. There are fetishists who pay big bucks for just this kind of shoe. [​IMG] (I'm not kidding, and I swear that the only reason I know this is because I have friends who sell stuff they find at Goodwill on ebay for extra cash.)

9. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Wow. I mean WOW.

$50 flip-flops?

10. KingKoopa

KingKoopa 250+ Posts

they form to your feet. incredibly comfortable.

after the initial 2-3 days of bleeding feet break in period.

11. johnny chimpo

johnny chimpo 500+ Posts

I have a 12 month flip flop rotation, no exceptions. New ones each April. Then again, my flops cost about 20$.

12. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

If you can't afford a new pair when the old ones get dirty, then maybe you shouldn't have bought the old pair in the first place? All good flip-flops mold to your feet, after they get broken in, but that's no excuse for smelly, nasty, flip-flops.

I bet when they get wet you can smell them for feet around you. If you sit down in a group of people, does the smell hover above you?

[​IMG]

13. 319waggle

319waggle < 25 Posts

I wear Reefs myself. When I was a lifeguard we would toss them in the pool and then lay them out in the sun to dry. Always took care of the odor problem.

14. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

maybe you're not that smart if you're buying $50 flip-flops.

i suggest you spray some disinfectant on them and leave them out in the sun for awhile. however, once you start wearing them again they'll probably keep stinking. buy a new pair.

15. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

rainbows are made out of leather. you can't spray or wash and leave them out in the sun, I imagine that would f**k 'em up. I would just buy a new pair. which kinda sucks, because they take longer to break in than reefs.

I recently made the switch to rainbows from reefs, so I don't have much experience. but perhaps you should try a leather cleaner and conditioner. maybe that'll work.

16. johnny chimpo

johnny chimpo 500+ Posts

My hippie cousin can clear a room with his rainbows. Absolutely foul. Realize that they're leather, so once the funk has taken over, there is no salvaging them - go to Whole Earth and just get you some new ones.

17. groover

groover 25+ Posts

i wear black socks with my flip-flops and have never had a problem with flip-flop stinkage. i have also never had a date.

18. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

am I the only one that hates flip flops?

19. KingKoopa

KingKoopa 250+ Posts

you people bagging on rainbows haven't worn them, i'm assuming. but i understand how it seems absurd to spend that much. they're high quality leather and the most comfortable pair of sandals i've worn, so i think it's worth it. i've had cheap pairs that last me a few months, but i've had these for two years and they're in great shape.

i've never had a problem with mine stinking. maybe a dry-cleaning place would be able to clean leather?

20. groover

groover 25+ Posts

where does one buy Rainbows? Whole Earth Provision Co.?

21. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

tyler's, whole earth, online.

22. dahorns

dahorns 250+ Posts

23. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

I have hemp Rainbows which I much perfer to the leather ones.

How does one clean those ? I usually put them on high/hot in the washing machine but it kinda f's them up.