Gilbert Era Over, or is it

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Texex81, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

From the Dallas Morning News

2. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

3. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

I think it's quite obvious that the coaches are now going with the hot hand and that Gilbert is on a short leash. I'm not worried and I have full confidence in the coaching staff as far as personnel is concerned. [​IMG]

4. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Gilbert was put in a bad situation last year. He struggled, the team struggled, he appears to have lost all confidence and plays rattled. Time to move on.

5. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

That quote read in a bit more than Harsin actually said. Harsin never said "GG's not necessarily no longer the starter."

Notice also that part is not quoted in the article.

What Harsin said was politically-correct coach-speak. Something along the lines of, "we'll have to look at the film, grade it, and analyze all the players."

That Dallas sportswriter is just stirring the pot.

6. nwking

nwking 250+ Posts

His 2nd pick was a horrible decision. The safety was moving over to double the receiver before the ball was snapped. GG threw it anyway. I feel for the guy but McCoy/Ash managed the game in the 2nd half.

7. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

if GG trots out against UCLA as the starter then you have incontrovertible proof that he has naked pictures of mack brown engaged in some sort of illegal lewd activity.

no way GG should play from here no out. the team responds better to case/ash.

8. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

9. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

i hate to even say this, but i can see McCoy getting rattled/nerves in his first start and throw a couple of picks, then they trot Gilbert back in.

10. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

I was a big Gilbert supporter when he was being recruited. His first show case game in the MNC game was poor but for a true freshman it was expected in that amount of pressure. Last year was a bad year and I think 5 ints were from tips or drops but the rest were on him. I am a bit sad for the kid. He was thought to be the guy. despite his performance its lack of class on The fans to boo him. It might be time to move on. He might start next week or he may not. I want the QB who gives us the best chance to win.

11. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Booing a kid is never appropriate, no matter what he's done.

All these quarterbacks eventually going to take their lumps. But I strongly believe that Ash and McCoy give us the best chance to win.

12. Sip94

Sip94 500+ Posts

13. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Didn't he have what should have been a 3rd pick which would have been a pic 6 if the BYU could have caught the ball?

14. atxbomber

atxbomber 1,000+ Posts

15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Harsin will be the one deciding who starts not Mack and he is clearly deciding based on what is best for team. If that means we see GG next Saturday then that is ok, and pictures etc. will have nothing to do with it.

16. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

17. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Almost nobody makes personnel decisions minutes after a game. It would be stupid - no matter how obvious it seems at the time - to make that big a call flushed after the excitement of the game without going back and reviewing the situation after looking at the film.

My guess is they'll stay with the hot hand. Cold Gilbert come in if Case comes out tight and makes some mistakes? Absolutely he could. Could the coaches decide to try Gilbert because they don't think what we did Saturday will work against UCLA? Unlikely but it's possible (and since UCLA's defense isn't on par with BYU, I highly doubt they'd come to that conclusion.)

18. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

Never say never, but I think Gilbert will go the way of Shea Morenz. Both were highly touted coming out of high school but just didn't have it in college.

I think this week, both Case and Ash are going to get the bulk of the reps and will increase the playbook for them. What I like about them is their demeanor in the huddle. They both look confident in the huddle. It seemed like the backs ran harder, the OL blocked harder, and the WR's ran crisper routes. But we shall see.

19. EP Dowd

EP Dowd 25+ Posts

We havent seen the last of GG. He probably needs some time on the bench without the pressure of a starting QB.

That being said it is still to be seen who will be the starting QB.

GG needs to come of fthe bench if he is ever going to be successful.

20. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

Probably not, unless he decides to transfer. I think it will be tough to justify giving him meaningful snaps as a starter from here on out, though. Fairly or not, he does not appear to be perceived by the team as a winner. They play harder and more crisply when someone else is at the helm. I wish the guy the best, but it may be to his benefit to transfer, clear his head for a year, and go to a new situation where he won't be set up to fail.

21. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

The coaches will be able to put a positive spin on it, "the offense is moving in a different direction...a different style, etc, etc...." They, I would imagine, are ready to move to what works and if the young guys don't pan out, they'll come back to GG.There's a long season ahead but it still looks like lots of promising events.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

The GG era needs to be over. He had 14 1/2 chances to prove that he should be the starter and failed to do so.

He should be 3rd on the depth chart and only play if the two players in front of him are not available.

He should not be entitled to the job as has been the case since the beginning of last year.

Look, he's a great kid with a terrific attitude. Simply, he should not be our quarterback based on his on-field performance. Should anything else matter?

23. 314

314 250+ Posts

I have seen enough of Garrett Gilbert to last me a lifetime.

24. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

it's official. just saw a a tweet indicating that the UT depth chart shows mccoy/ash as co starters and gilbert as 3rd string.

25. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

link please, unless I should have my sarcasm meter turned a bit higher

26. goredho

goredho 100+ Posts

Mack's press conference on 1300 the zone, just said it will be Ash or McCoy based on practice this week. Gilbert is 3rd team.

27. planohorn84

planohorn84 25+ Posts

28. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

29. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

There is a mention of a lot of boos but to me it didn't seem too bad. I feel for the kid but he sure did have a lot chances although most of them were under Greg Davis. Hopefully he sticks around because he might be needed. Wood should have stayed, I think he made a mistake by leaving.

30. nwking

nwking 250+ Posts

Utempire, the boos very very obvious in my section. 2 BYU fans sitting next to me were shocked. They couldn't believe it.

I like the kid and wish him the best. His trying times in the media are not over.