Gilbert moves to 5 star

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by TheBestPoster, Jan 30, 2008.

1. TheBestPoster

TheBestPoster 100+ Posts

The Link

I want both Gilbert and Shepard. What is Mack going to do? Is Shepard insistent on playing QB like Chiles?

• Hot Hot x 1
  2. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

Shep has said in interviews he wants a shot at QB, but is open to playing WR if he doesn't win the job if that's what's best for the team.

3. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

I want competitors, get them both, loser transfers to TCU!!!!

4. Tecolote

Tecolote 100+ Posts

Why is one constant on this board that the athletic kids should go play wide-out and the more traditional drop back QB's should just be the starters? Is this a local bias for Lake Travis or is it for some other reason? This obsession with the pro-style QB seems completely contrary to the current and future state of the college game and yet many here keep advocating that. Only one QB won a mnc with Greg's offense and that was an athletic kid that you'd probably want to stick a wide-out for Chance Mock. We better get with it or these athletic kids are not coming to the 40 and they will come back to haunt us.

5. ShadowNinja

ShadowNinja 100+ Posts

good job, you should write a book on Longhorn knowledge and help all of us 'get with it'

6. sinless1

sinless1 500+ Posts

We should try real hard to get Gilbert. We need a good possession receiver.

[​IMG]

7. TX-EX_98

TX-EX_98 25+ Posts

Gilbert reminds me of a young McCafferey....

8. AustinNUWildcat

AustinNUWildcat 25+ Posts

And I have to wonder why another "constant on this board" is that some folks stereotype Garrett Gilbert as a "traditonal drop back QB" who then, by definition, is less "athletic". Why do some assume that good passers aren't good athletes or, for that matter, good runners?

Garrett Gilbert is not a "traditional drop back QB". Lake Travis runs a spread offense like everyone else; an offense that requires a QB who can run. Second, Garrett Gilbert is very athletic. He runs like a deer. Gilbert is a very fast, powerful runner with long, effortless strides. And he's a stud in the pocket with a cannon for an arm. On the last play of the first half against Highland Park, Gilbert evaded one DL and then heaved a forty yard TD bomb into a 25 mph wind with another DL in his face. Against second ranked Corpus Christi Calallen, Gilbert racked up 115 rushing yards on five carries. But why run when you're passing for 4,826 yards over 16 games?

I think we have to be fair to both Russell Shepard and Garrett Gilbert. Russell Shepard is a great runner who can pass well. Garrett Gilbert is a great passer who can run well.

9. ShadowNinja

ShadowNinja 100+ Posts

Gilbert is a damn stud, I'm not worried about his running ability considering we already have a 'pro-style' qb who can effectively run our option read. Getting him and Shepard would be more impressive than 30 minute brownies in 20 minutes.

10. TheBestPoster

TheBestPoster 100+ Posts

11. TheBestPoster

TheBestPoster 100+ Posts

Would that be the 10 yard minimum offense?

12. ShadowNinja

ShadowNinja 100+ Posts

13. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

With 100+ posts, I'm not sure you're qualified to know what a "constant on this board" is.

Nobody said anything of the sort. Shepard is the one who himself said he'd be willing to play a different position if he doesn't win the QB job.

14. Kafka

Kafka 100+ Posts

Do you happen to know Gilbert's 40 time? I looked for it a while back but could not find it.

15. hot_c_win_horns

hot_c_win_horns 100+ Posts

No knock on Chris Simms, I really like the guy and everything he did for UT, but i think some longhorn fans a scared to get another drop back passer that falls down when he gets touched by the opposing team.
    I havent watched much of gilberts highlight video, but i think you can conclude that when you hear "drop back passer" [​IMG]

16. gilbert is a tebow type at the high school level. i'm not at all saying he'll mount up to tebow college status in college, but he sure as hell has the capability. if he can gain another 30lbs or so, watch out.

17. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

Gilbert runs about a 4.7 I would say. He is not incredibly fast or extremely agile but he can move the pocket and make some good plays with his feet. The thing he will excel at though is simply extending the play. In another thread I compared his style to guys like Tony Romo, Steve Young and guys like that. He is not as much of a gunslinger as those guys but he is a guy who is going to make plays with his feet to help set up for the pass.

And why does everyone think we have to have another VY. We will never get another Vince. Everyone needs to quit hoping for the next Vince and we need the best QUARTERBACK on the field whether he is mobile or not.

18. HenryGandorf

HenryGandorf 250+ Posts

19. pevodog

pevodog 1,000+ Posts

I watched Gilbert go 27-29 for over 300 yards in the first half against Dayton in the semi finals. He doesn't go down easy, in fact a third of his completions were made after he got hit. That was the main problem Dayton had playing Lake Travis, they couldn't knock that big guy down.

20. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

only here could we have a QB controversy over HS juniors.

welcome to the BigTime, kids.

21. Colt McVince

Colt McVince 250+ Posts

well i would say that Gilbert is probably the guy that can come in and play from day 1, and have a long, great career at UT. Shepard could be a guy that needs some polish, but could be spectacular at QB for UT once he arrives.

i think the other thing to consider is that if we don't get both (well.. of course we want both!)... what would happen. if we don't get gilbert, he may go to cal. if we don't get shepard, sure he may go to florida, but he could also consider OU. you may not be hearing OU too much now, but if somehow UT "spurns" him (which is very unlikely, as i'm pretty sure he's getting his offer in less than 2 weeks), he could play with his cousin Loston at OU. that would suck.

my best guess is that we get shepard, OU gets rollison, and gilbert will be a toss-up between us and Cal. aggy unfortunately has to get someone good in this QB rich year [​IMG]

22. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

23. ACuriae

ACuriae 500+ Posts

24. mackfan1

mackfan1 1,000+ Posts

25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Bump

26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

27. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I came here to joke about Garrett Gilbert only to find this thread WAS already about Garrett Gilbert.

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I've been around this board for a loooooong time. The only name I recognize in the original posts is GOO.

• Winner Winner x 1
  29. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I've been around since 2001 but under a few different names. I remember Goo. Wonder what happened to him.

30. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I've wondered that too. He was hilarious. Another I liked was The Peoples Elbow...TPE. Both just disappeared.

• Agree Agree x 2