Glyphosate, Monsanto and Autism

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Crockett, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I was researching how to kill vegetation that keeps springing up between the fence and a decorative border my wife puts around the garden and came across this: http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/mi...-half-of-all-children-to-have-autism-by-2025/

It's on the internet. Does it seem credible or not? Should I worry and research more, or just trust the USDA, Monsanto and all the politicians they own? Just to be safe, I avoid personal use of glyphosate. I think I'll just temporarily remove the decorative border and use the non-controversial herbicides of muscle, mattock and hoe to remove the offending woody plants.

2. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I trust very little that I read on autism anymore. I have a two year old so I was obviously very interested in any research regarding the link between vaccines and autism. There is so much dishonesty in the anti-vaccine crowd. And when I say dishonesty, I mean outright lying. For instance, they continue pushing studies linking autism to some additive in vaccines even after than additive was removed a decade ago. Or claiming that autism rates are increasing in the US because Americans are over-vaccinated but ignoring that Japan has the highest autism rates in the world even though they give kids far fewer vaccinations.

I know your article is not related to vaccinations but I suspect the basis is more hand waiving and bad logic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Fake news. Glyphosate is harmless.

4. GreenDragonSix

GreenDragonSix 100+ Posts

Bro, I **** you not...I use regular bleach on my property lines and everywhere else's to kill weeds and whatever else that sprouts from the ground. Bleach starves & kills and it a hell of a lot cheaper than using normal weed killing stuff from Lowes or Home Depot. Sometime in 2001 or 2002 I got that advice from someplace like Maxim or FHM or something similar.

Bleach works like a charm. You just got to go it every 3 months or so!

5. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Interesting article.

There is definitely something going on. My son married a lady with autistic five year old from a previous marriage. The kid was uncontrollable at 5 years old. My wife, who loves kids, refused to babysit him after trying it a few times. He's now 12 and on all kinds of psych drugs.

If it is something like glyphosate, which is in corn syrup, which is in everything, we're in big trouble.

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If something x causes disease y, but it can hardly be seen in studies (i.e., barely above background noise or other unknown causes), then the impact of something x is not going to be noticed by society. Now consider the following: most studies of something x doesn't show it causes disease y, but certain researchers claim you can get a glimpse of it if you squint at the data just right. Do you think that is going to impact society in any meaningful way?

7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Expanding definitions, just overall shittier and shittier health in general - people loading themselves with way too many calories and tons of carbs and sugar, junk food and sodas,, more sedentary lifestyles, TV and smart phones used to babysit kids nearly 24/7. The list of health problems and mental/social development problems this nation gives itself is gonna be limitless.

• Like Like x 1