Going to New Orleans for New Years

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Y Sanchez, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

Any food reccomendations?

We are big on small local joints rather than the much publicized touristy hangouts. In other words we will pass on Emerils and Commanders Palace. I am sure both are great but they are just not our cup O' Tea.

Thanks

2. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Sandwiches: Mother's for the Debris sandwich or po'boys; Central Grocery for an original muffaletta

Fried chicken at Willie Mae's Scotch House

BBQ shrimp at Pascal's. Be prepared to wait. This is a popular place, but I wouldn't put it in the Emeril's/Commodore Palace category that you are trying to avoid.

3. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

I always throw out my obligatory Port of Call burger for anyone traveling to NO looking for some tasty food off the beaten path.

4. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

Port of call is great. Also look into cochon.

5. Stove Top

Stove Top 25+ Posts

I highly recommend Mandina's on Canal in the mid city area. Great turtle soup and broiled stuff trout. Second Mother's for a poboy and Central Grocery for a muffeletta.

Mandina's NO

6. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts

Y Sanchez- I lived in Metairie and worked in "The Quarter" for roughly 3 years. Plus culinary school in Baton Rouge for another 18 mths before that.

To me, New Years in NO, is FAR more fun than than any Mardi Gras I've been a part of. And I've "rode" in several.

There's ONE place in NO that I recommend to everyone, and one place that I make it a point to get to at least once a year, even if I have to make a special trip to get there.

Deanies Seafood - Bucktown

Don't opt for their recently opened location in the quarter. Go to the original in Bucktown on the lakefront, and order the BBQ Shrimp for 2, minimum. Pascal''s Manale may claim to be the original, but trust me, Deanie's Bucktown, is the local's favorite.

7. Bye Week

Bye Week 250+ Posts

Just got back from NO on Sunday after a 4-day visit for my wife's 40th. Would definitely second the Deanie's and Pascal's recommendations for BBQ shrimp. Ate at Port of Call for the first time after hearing about it for years and it is a must for burgers--sit at the bar if there is a wait. Central Gro muffalettas are awesome but Napoleon House in the Quarter has great ones too. They are served warm and the dark dive setting is a cool place to eat and drink...

8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Clover Grill on Bourbon, great burgers. Camellia Grill on S. Carrollton. Ernst Cafe at 600 S. Peters St. is good. If you really want to go off the beaten path, check out Middendorf's in Manchac for some great fried catfish. About a 30 minute drive from the city. And of course, you would be remiss going to New Orleans and not having beignets at Cafe' du Monde.

9. nwking

nwking 250+ Posts

2nd for Nepolean House.