Golf laser range finder questions...

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by unpaintedhuffhines, Sep 9, 2008.

1. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

In the market to buy one of these but have a couple questions

I've used one that is pointed at the flag and sensors are built into the flagstick. Do all (decent) rangefinders operate this way? I don't want to have a rangefinder that only works at courses w/ this technology, however I'm guessing this is how most operate.

If you have one, what model and what did you pay? I'm seeing costs range from $150-$500. I'd like to stay around $200.

I've seen some GPS ones. Assuming you must download course info for this to work?

anyone have a primer for these things?

2. UnBiased Horn

UnBiased Horn 250+ Posts

Link

Go here to learn more. The laser rangefinders don't need a sensor in the flag to work. The gps ones tell your front, middle and back of green within a few yards accuracy. All of these run $200-$500. The igolf is the only one that is $150 and it is pretty barebones technology with barebones interface. But it does the job. If you want more, the possibilities are endless (but not that different).

3. unpaintedhuffhines

4. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

dirty cheater.

5. unpaintedhuffhines

6. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

f**k the golf ones and get yourself an actual rangefinder. i have a bushnell that i've owned for years that i love.

the biggest reason for a rangefinder over a golf device is that you can shoot anything...traps, hills, trees, etc. you can tell how far to carry the lake, how far the bunker is, etc. you may not get the green depth with it like you will with a golf device, but the fact that it's useful anywhere and everywhere makes it the winner in my book.

not to mention the fact that any golf device that only gives you front-middle-back and doesn't give you exact yardage to the pin is useless, IMO.