Golson out at Notre Dame

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Bayerithe, May 25, 2013.

1. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

Left school, academic violation? Think Notre Dame had a lot riding on this guy for this coming year.

Linky

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Looks like he's suspended for the semester because of grades but will return in January for spring practice.

3. oilburner

oilburner 100+ Posts

Any highly ranked recruits getting cold feet?
    CFB drama!

4. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

That can happen when your tutor is Manti Te'o's girlfriend

• Like Like x 1
  5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

It is highly likely that it is not on the radar of the casual /generally ignorant UT fan, but the Horns play an upcoming home and home series with the lowly Irish.

In 2015 we play them Sept. 5th @ South Binge and 2016 - Sept 3rd in Austin. We have another series after that way out in 2020 or something.

Therefore, I continue as I have for many years... I am always for UT and anyone that plays ND... as well as anything that hurts them and helps UT in those upcoming tilts. With all due respect, fornicate the overhyped and sports media loved Irish [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  6. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I know the life of a student athlete can be demanding, but it still surprises me that it can get to this point, with all the academic advisers and support available.

I guess when it comes down to it, you can lead a horse to water, but ...

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

With so many temptations not to study, mainly from lovely ladies lingering about I don't see how any of them ever get school work done. It's impressive when they do.

8. Irish Horn

Irish Horn < 25 Posts

I think the general consensus is that it was cheating, not just grades. Golson himself seems to confirm this with the wording he used to describe the situation.

9. fw_horn

fw_horn 25+ Posts

10. Irish Horn

Irish Horn < 25 Posts

ND fans are split on if this is ultimately good or bad for the program. When Brian Kelly has an experienced QB that he trusts, he tends to want to air it out and get grab-baggy. When he has a new QB, he plays more conservatively and does a better job of putting his QBs in a position to succeed. Examples of this are the last 4 games of 2010, the 2012 season, and the Music City Bowl last year. ND's 2015 team has a very good OL returning, with a stable of good backs, so the hope is that losing Golson will force Kelly to run the football

In limited duty, Malik Zaire has shown himself to be a tough competitor and a very competent QB with a big arm. That being said, he's not the elite talent that Golson is. Golson can make every throw you'd ever ask a QB to make. His Achilles heel is taking care of the football.

• Like Like x 2
  11. WorsterMan

This would be a very interesting development if Charlie wants to pursue him and then somehow pulls it off.

Are there any elite D-1 programs like UT that he could walk into and almost be guaranteed to start day one?

12. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Great news from my perspective. We've absorbed tons of stifling setbacks by losing good players to misconduct or grades.

I have no problem admitting I'm happy to see our first opponent weakened by the same type snakebite. The Irish can sum it up as good or bad all they like...what I see is 2014 results...

256 completions, 114 rushes, 3,728 total yards, and 37 TD's...all GONE BYE BYE for Sept. 5th.

And with a less experienced Irish QB at the helm, Bedford will be teeing off with confusing pressure to rattle him. This is great news for us.

In the early years of a new program (new coach and staff), all teams hunt their elusive first HUGE WIN. When they finally break through, the grueling work is suddenly validated. Validation catapults confidence, pride, and unity to a much higher level.

If losing Golson to something this relatively harmless (in the big picture of life) gets us one step closer....rock and roll. Beating Notre Dame in the opener would be the ideal lightning rod for Strong's rebuild here.

P.S.: Feel free to call Golson and inquire about a future here, CS. :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  13. Irish Horn

Irish Horn < 25 Posts

Golson had 22 turnovers by himself (14 picks, 8 fumbles lost), which is more than 80 some FBS teams. That's why he was benched last year. When he's on, however, he's one of the best in CFB. I like Malik Zaire as a QB, but I think ND's ceiling with Golson was much higher.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Even if Zaire turns out to be good, he's still much less experienced, and ND is one QB shallower in depth. All positives for us.

Situation's like 2015 ND, and even 2013 and 2014 Texas are the exact reason I'm not a big fan of holding shirts instead of getting a young back-up QB needed experience at the end of a year.

Zaire was a Soph, so a shirt wasn't involved, but it's the same effect on upcoming games. Now they enter our contest with a guy who has two games under his belt instead of going in cold turkey.

Swoopes should've gotten a few starts at the end of 2013. We recruited Heard and there would be more help coming prior to Swoopes departure.

I wish Heard would've gotten several snaps at the end of last year. I'd rather be much better prepared for the HERE AND NOW if Swoopes dives, instead of protecting a 2018 senior season. That's what Locksley and Buechele are coming here for, to cover THEN.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

How weird would it be for them to see Golson starting the first game against them in a Texas uniform?

I would love to see him come in and get a chance to compete. At a minimum it gives us high quality depth.

16. WorsterMan

It would be very weird.

Golson would make the QB position much more competitive and it might elevate everyone's play. However, at the end of the day I just cannot imagine Swoopes or Heard beating him out for the starting position.

17. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

If it said how many years of eligibility he has left I missed it, but even if it's only one, WTH. We are desperate.

18. WorsterMan

I believe he has only 1 year left... we could use his help!

19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

He might be a good option to be there incase Swoopes implodes and Heard struggles. Consider also if one of those guys gets injured would we rather have a True Frosh take the reigns or turn it over to a seasoned QB? Could be the difference in a winning or losing a couple of games this year. Just a thought...

Seriously, I don't believe Strong or Watson will go after him.

20. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

I agree. I think he could win the job.
    What’s the downside though? He’s a proven talent and could give us one good year while Swoopes or Heard develops more.

Seems like this would be an attractive opportunity for Golson to come to a solid program with a good chance to start right away. Maybe compete for the conference title if the other pieces are working well.

21. WorsterMan

Well, I am not CS and I don't have all the insight and intell he and the coaches have. I don't know all the pros and cons they probably know.

I do know: this on the surface arm-chair coach, if I was in his position, in this current QB situation, I would go after Golson.

22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

There is no down side. Proven winner, dual threat QB, has been under pressure in big games, brings the ND play book. I only think that Strong and Watson won't pursue him. I hope I'm wrong.

23. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

No reason not to go after him, he fills a gap, to maybe win right away. Then let the youngsters take over, after some much needed seasoning, without having to just throw them out there, if not ready.

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I cannot believe that my beloved university, where I have ben a season ticket holder or over forty years, has alums/supporters even thinking about taking a Brian Kelly reject. Kelly is such an arrogant piece of **** that he could take humility lessons from John Mackovic. If there was a simple academic pass/fail problem here, Kelly would have it covered. Charlie Strong has worked hard to eliminate "problem children", and now our fans want to bring in a poster boy? UFB!

Of course if Gohlson was to call KornFairy, Powers & Peterson would have him enrolled before June 1.

25. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

What does Kelly's arrogance have to do with bringing in an experienced player that could help us win?

• Like Like x 1
  26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Take a long hard look at Gohlson's tenure in South Bend. Are you really so hungry to win that you would take someone of his character? Why weren't you screaming for Bomar to transfer in? This is not about a kid not going to class.

I used Kelly to point out that this was NOT a Kelly decision - it came from the school's front office.

27. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Tell us about his tenure. And it’s spelled Golson.
    I didn’t gather that from your comment at all. You called Kelly a POS which says less than nothing about where the Golson decision originated from.
    The KORNFAIRY thing just never stops being clever. You missed a sweet opportunity for “Brian Smelly” though <snicker!>. Feel free to use that next time.

28. WorsterMan

I admitted I don't know much about the pros and cons on Golson. I have no problem with an arrogant football player if he can back it up and he is not a polarizing figure in the huddle or locker room. On the surface he seems like he could help us.

29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wooster,

My objection has nothing to do with his football ability or his popularity in the locker room, but rather the reason he is no longer enrolled as a student. As I tried to point out, Kelly would keep any player on his team who can contribute regardless of possible character flaw. The decision for him to no longer be enrolled came from so high over Kelly's head, that Kelly just had to sit back and take it. This was not the kid's first brush with this type of thing. While I really dislike ND, it is a fine institution of higher learning with some very strong rules and honor code.

That said, I am not in favor of Texas taking rejects or castoffs from other schools, particularly those who may not have the opportunity to return to that school. Transfers with coaching changes or situations like Russell Wilson having been delivered an ultimatum by an idiot like Tom O'Brine are not the same thing. Had Golson done the same things in Austin as he did at ND, he would have been Strong's first bus outa Travis County.

30. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts