Good Luck to Texas Tech.

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Horn6721, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So far I've seen little team chemistry, teamwork, awareness, and basketball smarts from Smart's teams (ironic on the 'smart' part, I know). I see all of that each time Tech takes the court, plus harder play from tip off to buzzer--especially on defense and away from the ball.

If Smart is claiming his teams really hustle and scrap from tip off to buzzer, I must have missed it this year.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Also Moody is a special and much-underrated player.

3. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Agree 100% on Allison. Going back maybe 15-18 years DCTF put a special edition on the whatever year it had been published. It featured stories on one player year by year. One of them was Allison and he was quoted as saying "the hardest thing I've ever had to do was sit in my living room and tell Darrell Royal I wasn't coming to Texas". "Saddest tale of tongue or pen..."

• Like Like x 1
  4. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

And I would love for TT to win it all

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. Rodney Allison ran the triple option with a pass threat as well as anyone. Unfortunately, Bill Yeoman had assembled a star-studded team of very good athletes at UH and was stomping nearly everyone at that time. Good Xs and Os coach too (Yeoman) but a dirty cheater at recruiting on the level of Switzer and Sherill.

Also, in the past, UT has not offered many fantastic players who realistically had little chance of cutting it in the classroom at UT. UH never had any qualms about that. Supposedly, Elvin Hayes couldn't even read when he entered the NBA.

6. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

I was at the game and it seemed like the entire town of Lubbock was there.

7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I thought Havoc was the name of his press specifically.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Very difficult to root for any other Big XII team when none of them ever root for Texas to win a natty. That said a Big XII beating an ACC team goes against all of the pundits so that is a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I'm not trying to be down on our guys, but IMHO our team was not generally characterized by tipoff to buzzer hustle. Smart can use whatever cute name he wants to describe it, but we lacked anything approaching Tech's level of hustle.

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I knew lots of Tech and TCU fans who rooted for us to beat USC for the national title. It seemed like practically the whole state (minus the envious aggies and some transplanted OU folks) was rooting for us.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

TCU was not in the Big XII in 2005, and the only ones at Tceh who cheered for Texas are the ones who either could not get into Texas or flunked out of Texas. Remember Texas got no support from the Big XII North, ou, Baylor or aggy.

12. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

OK, so Baylor women took down the Domers.

That's Texas with the NIT,
    Baylor women, NCAA national title
    Tceh men, you're up ...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I know lots of Tech fans. Most of them like Tech because they're from West Texas or had other ties to the place. All of them who expressed anything were strongly rooting for us to beat USC. I know a much lower number of Baylor folks. Same with them--favored us over USC. The state pride here is immense. Aggies are a different nut to crack. (in many different ways...). Their intense envy of us trumps any state pride. Sooners aren't really us in the first place, they've been transplanted here. Yeah, the OU folks I knew went for USC.

14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Here's one way to look at things. We (UT) are the big brother in a dysfunctional family. We have two little brothers (Tech and A&M) along with many cousins, inlaws, and hangers-on.

One little brother is a scrappy underdog with lots of fight and spunk who you can usually admire and root for against other teams, and who occasionally rises up and bests his big brother.

The other little brother is an ornery little sh!te with a grossly overinflated view of himself, who boasts and throws insults constantly from his obnoxious loud slobbering mouth. Even after repeated smackdowns he still won't shut up. He really hates both of his brothers, but especially us. He's recently been adopted by a new dysfunctional family. Most of his new 'brothers' beat him up--sometimes mercilessly. Strangely, like a battered wife who stays with her man, he still loves them.

Draw your own conclusions as to who is each little brother.

• Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Aggy

Chop, watch this video with your description in mind. You absolutely nailed it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Guns up tonight. Win the title TT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The relative status of UT-A&M is quite similar to Michigan-Michigan State, Alabama-Auburn, Oklahoma-Oklahoma State, just like everyone on the video but the delusional female was saying. i just don't think MSU, Auburn, and OSU fans are openly arguing (against all facts) that their football history is on par with their in-state rivals. Cheer for your team, enjoy all the pageantry, but don't drink the Kool Aid.

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Most of the Baylor fans I knew and about half the A&M fans were cheering for Texas to beat USC.

19. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Lubbock Christian women won their national tournament....very good team and coach

South Plains won their JC national tournament

other Texas team I've missed

20. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

Not sure why she shoots off her mouth about Texas or other teams, but she seems to have mostly shut up in the past 2 years, after she got lots of negative national attention for some insensitive comments about BU's sexual assault problems. Sure that every recruit's parents asked her about their daughter's safety, and she didn't handle it well. But she's a great coach and her players respond; they played some beautiful ball in the tournament. Hard not to appreciate it, even though BU kicked our butts this year. :hookem: