Good price to pay for Brake Pad service?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by horn1, Jun 10, 2004.

1. horn1

horn1 25+ Posts

I gotta get my front brake pads replaced on my little Mazda truck. How much should I expect to pay?

I got a coupon from Mazda for a $79 front brake pad service.......decent price or not? I'm not sure whether that includes labor, but I bet it does.

And please no posts about I should do it myself....I don't wanna learn although I've heard it's not THAT hard to do.

2. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Usually you turn the rotors and replace the pads, and that is about $179 at a shop that uses good parts. The coupon is to get you in so they can "upsell" more items.

3. horn1

horn1 25+ Posts

I had some service about a month ago and they said the rotors looked good, but the pads just needed to be replaced......I dunno....what does that mean?

4. The Rookie

The Rookie 100+ Posts

Just do it yourself, it's easy![​IMG]

The thing with the coupons is that they usually find other stuff or add costs here and there.

I wouldnt just get the pads replaced because when you replace the pads and not turn the rotors the usually squeal like a pig.

Hope this helps.

5. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

If the rotors are perfect, you might get away with just replacing the pads, which is normally about $100 at a shop that uses good parts, lubes the pins and molykotes the backing plates, and torques the wheels, and removes at least part of the greasy hand prints from the hood and fenders.

6. 7Titles

7Titles 500+ Posts

Many places will try and sell you new rotors when they only need to be turned, which means resurfaced.

A place I went to wanted $400 for new rotors and pads on my front wheels. I turned the rotors and put on new pads for 60$, about half for the pads and half for autozone to turn the rotors.

If a place is just turning your front rotors and putting new front pads on it shouldnt be more than $175.