Good prices for tires

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Jeevsie, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

I found tirerack.com and got a really good price on some 265/70/16's, ($82 per) but with the shipping ($78), and paying to have them mounted and balanced, I don't really know if I'll come out ahead. Anyone have good ideas? These were Continental's by the way -- 5 stars on their site for what it's worth.

2. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

I always found that I couldn't really do any better than going to Discount Tire Co. Once you add the cost of mounting and balancing, plus that you get free rotation for the life of the tires from them, it wasn't any cheaper to get them online.

3. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

I've had good luck w. having Discount Tire or NTB price match Tirerack.com, at least within about $5/tire. Print off the tire page and take it in and say "match it please". Make sure they carry the same tire though.

4. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

discount tire will match pricing if you bring proof.

5. DannyAlmonte

DannyAlmonte 25+ Posts

Never Ever buy tires anyplace other than Discount Tire. They have it perfected. You can drop by and get them rotated free. Flats repaired free. Their service after the sale is incredible. Their prices are the lowest or they will match it. And they are freaking everywhere if something goes wrong.

This is one industry where somebody has it down perfectly. And a hint for you SUV drivers. Ask them for a price on "trade-ins". Yes, the new craze that everyone has to get bigger tires and rims benefits you. Last time I asked I got brand new (driven from the dealer to Discount Tire) Michelins for my Yukon for $50 each, installed and balanced.

6. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

Anyone have an opinion on Toyo tires? That's the best price I've found so far.

7. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

found good deals at Costco

8. random horn

random horn 250+ Posts

9. Hellraiser98

Hellraiser98 25+ Posts

Doesn't sound like a bad price. You should also consider getting your alignment done when you change your tires. It is amazing how easily a few nasty potholes will screw your allignment and that can cause your tires to wear out early.

I just got finished buying 4 tires for my Acura. My best advice is to do your research on them (look at treat life ratings, etc. - tirerack is a good place to start) and then shop it around. Most places will price match, but some will tack on a ton of extra stuff.

I found the best source of info to be a message board for owners of my specific car (similar to Hornfans). I read about which ones were most popular and good/bad experiences. Also listed good places to get good deals on them.

10. I am a big fan of Kumho tires now. I was unaware that Discount would match or get close to matching the Tirerack price. Will check into that next time.

11. ryskey

ryskey 100+ Posts

Recently got a set of 275/75/16 Yokohama Geolanders (~$180 list price) for $500 from Discount.

Sounds like you have a truck or SUV. Geolanders are very good street tires and surprisingly good offroad. Plus, they'll last a lot longer than the all terrains and mud terrains.

12. UnBiased Horn

UnBiased Horn 250+ Posts