Good Summer Recipes

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Smurfette, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

My friend has this cole slaw at her wedding. It was so good that she asked the caterer for the recipe-- and the caterer was nice enough to give it to her. Here is the recipe in it's original form. I'll tell you the alterations I suggest below.

Asian Cole Slaw

Slaw—
    1 head cabbage, shredded
    1 head Napa cabbage, shredded
    2 bunches green onions, thinly sliced

Dressing—
    2” piece of fresh ginger, peeled
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 cup rice vinegar (if you use seasoned, it has sugar in it, which is OK, but you won’t need to add as much sugar)
    1 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tsp. Sesame oil
    1 Tbsp.—or to taste—chili garlic paste (Sriracha will work in a pinch, but use less)
    Sugar to taste

Crunchies—
    2 pkgs. Chicken ramen, including seasoning
    ½ cup sliced almonds
    2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
    Vegetable oil

Sauté the crunchies til golden brown. Set aside to cool. Process ginger and garlic in blender or processor w/a little bit of vinegar til they form a paste. Add the rest of the vinegar and ingredients, adding oil at the end. Toss slaw with dressing. Add crunchies just before serving. Play with the seasonings as these are inexact measurements.

My suggestions:

Two heads of lettuse makes a busload of this stuff. I'd suggest using just one head of Nappa Cabbage, still use two bunches of green onions. Trust me, this still makes a TON of this-- but the stuff gets better after it sits a couple days-- so it's a good thing to have around.

Don't worry too much about measuring the dressing. Just keep tasting it until you like it. I thought it needed somewhere between half to 3/4 of the measurements above. It needs a lot of sugar.

Make the cole slaw and toss it with the dressing ahead of time. Letting it sit overnight will let the "bite" work it's way out of the vinegar.

Make all of the crunchies-- but I'm sure it would be healthier if you didn't. I know adding the ramen spice pack sounds weird, but it does taste good!! I added extra sesame seeds. (I only used one pack of ramen though.)

2. Bighank77

Bighank77 250+ Posts

This is a great recipe. I added sone julienned Jicama and two finely diced serrano peppers.