Good tortillas in South Austin?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by TheFied, Sep 7, 2008.

1. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Where can I buy good tortillas in South Austin that isn't HEB? Do any restaurants have some for sale that you can buy?

2. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Preferably homemade corn tortillas.

3. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

If you like Chuy's tortillas, they sell 'em by the dozen.

4. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

I'll bet Casa Garcias will part with some for you.

5. AuburnTexas

AuburnTexas 100+ Posts

I always liked the tortillas at Taco Cabania.

6. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

does La Mexicana Bakery on S First make corn tortillas? i know they make flour.

7. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

unpainted, wow. I have never heard of them and I work not that far.

I am going to stop by soon. I might be there for breakfast tomorrow.

Thanks. If they don't sell homemade corn or homemade flour tortillas, I'll be shocked.

8. Wrangler

Wrangler 25+ Posts

Polvo's and Maria's Taco Express have very good corn tortillas; however, I don't know if they sell them to go.

Did someone above really suggest Chuy's? Wow!

9. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I bought a dozen flour and a dozen corn at La Mexicana Bakery today during lunch. It took about 10-15 minutes after I ordered them to get them. They appeared to be fresh home-made -> they then heated all of them up individually it appears and then wrapped them in paper and put them in a plastic bag for me.

I warmed one up when I got home today and put a little butter and salt. The corn was very good -> it didn't immediately break in half like the HEB ones. The flour one was very good.

I will be doing this again especially if we have guests (like we are this weekend).

10. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I might try that out.

11. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

As for a review of the tortillas, the corn were alot better than the flour. The flour were a bit small too.

12. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

13. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

Yes, I recommended Chuy's corn tortillas. I go to Chuys just for the tortillas. For the most part their food is mediocre except for the tortillas and some of the enchiladas.